This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

Your comment shows an ignorance of the factors that contribute to weight loss. The reasons they are important are discussed here every day.

I do commend you for not using the inch measurement as an excuse. You are right, if you are overweight and losing, the number on the scale should be coming down. The idea that muscle gain is going to be massively offset by fat loss is nuts.

So continue collecting all the data, measure and weigh your food accurately, and exercise, using a device that gives you an accurate idea of how hard your heart is working.

It's not quite that simple. I haven't lost in a couple of months, I work out, my calories are logged, and I have lost over 20 inches during that time.
    So it's NOT all about the scale.

And to the OP - if your job is so dependent on BMI - which is an outdated and highly inaccurate way of judging health- perhaps you should find a different job. I would think that the constant scrutiny / pressure regarding weight would be extremely stressful and detrimental to your overall health.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

Amen.............!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    hell even fat hookers get work

Ok... that's it... just made my day!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Denise

Wow, how ungrateful can someone be to those on your friends list who are trying to support you?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

Actually, the recommendation for measuring obesity is moving away from BMI and toward waist measurement. Researchers are finding that waist measurement is a better indicator. Job requirements are something else.

As has been discussed numerous times, BMI is a rough tool. It's used because it's easy and cheap and it's an estimate for populations. I'm sure that if your BMI is high and you can demonstrate to an insurer or a company that you are within a healthy fat range for your age, sex, and the requirements of the position it won't be a problem. But most people who complain about being classified as overweight or obese actually are.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

A+

If you are only focused on the scale and not on other aspects of health management then you're really missing a huge aspect of health and fitness. I understand that you are currently over weight, but if that was my only focus I'd be sorely disappointed as I weigh the same I did a year ago, but have gone from a size 8 to a size 0/2. While it's important to lose weight, that's not the only thing . . . but being scale centric is a great way to end up with an unhealthy relationship with it and inflated importance of the number on the scale.

I'm here for fitness, you can be here for weightloss, we each need something different. However, don't tell me what this website is about because my experience is mine and not yours. You don't have to accept reasonalbe and helpful advice, but it's a bad idea to insult people trying to give it to you if you're planning on continuing to look for advice.

This <3
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'd rather weigh 150 with definition and be in a size 6 than weigh 120, look soft and still be in a size 10. YMMV
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm always amused by the amount of responses that ridiculous threads get. I'm convinced that many, including this one, are for someone's psychology class experiment. The funny this is we, including me, take the bait every time.

I'm guessing the OP's future post will be titled "skinny fat". That will be when she hits her goal weight but will be unhappy with all the saggy skin and other various loose parts.

Have a great day my fellow lab rats!! :flowerforyou:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. An insurance company that uses BMI as a qualifier does not care how fit or muscular you are, does not care that athletes have high BMI-- if you're over the number, rejected. I believe the army is the same way and some young, muscular men go on crash diets to make their numbers. And I think for those of us who are very heavy, the number is more important than the measurements, at least at first. I've went from a size 22 to a 20. Woo hoo. But I'm no longer morbidly obese according to BMI and that's so much more important.

But the OP also needs to understand that people suggesting she measure are just trying to be nice and supportive. Loosing inches might not be as important, but it's certainly better than nothing and can even lift the spirits when the scale won't budge.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Denise

Wow, how ungrateful can someone be to those on your friends list who are trying to support you?

She's frustrated. She explicitly said she was ranting.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    In the month of april I only lost one pound. BUT I lost a whole pants size. Should I be crying about the fact that I only lost 1 lb?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    hell even fat hookers get work

Ok... that's it... just made my day!

Good for them! There is nothing sadder than an unemployed, fat hooker.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.
    I hate to say it but you are going to lose the weight and then gain it back because you aren't looking to change the problem or face the issues of why you are overweight, you are just doing it to satisfy others. I know for me for example back in 2005 I was 180 so I was considered obese because I'm a short person but I was so physically fit and the inches were dropping like crazy, so I would take that any day over what the scale says. I know I will always be considered overweight/obese because of the family I come from I believe, but maybe I will prove myself wrong on this journey too. Who knows but I loved that feeling of losing weight and buying smaller clothes, I was biking 10+miles a day then, and that was the best feeling in the world knowing that people who you would look at and think they are in great shape could barely bike a mile.

Just sayin but you need to do some soul searching and figure out what you are really wanting from this journey!
  • Yukibar
    Yukibar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it's a healthy site --and board! You can lose weight by eating empty calories but that doesn't mean you're healthy. Frankly, we're all old enough to know that eating heathy foods, sweets in moderation coupled with exercise is the way to go. You can go from site to site to see what works for you. But until you buckle down, pump up the willpower by choosing an apple over a pint of Ben & Jerry's (been there, done that), nothing will work.

I take one meal, one snack at a time. That's my goal. Good luck to you all in your quest for a healthier you!
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. An insurance company that uses BMI as a qualifier does not care how fit or muscular you are, does not care that athletes have high BMI-- if you're over the number, rejected.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that happens. They know that there are outliers. I doubt that fit (low fat, muscular) athletes are being rejected. I would also imagine that there are additional ways you can show your actual body composition.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't come here just to lose weight. I was skinny all the way through my mid twenties. I want to be fit, not skinny. I'm interested in what my measurements are, because since MY hips are no longer 44 inches I can wear a lot of clothes I couldn't get into before coming to myFITNESSpal.com. I've changed my diet dramatically--no more jars of Nutella in front of the TV, no more tubes of chocolate chip cookie dough eaten in an evening with a spoon. The numbers on the scale don't count as much to me as my dress size or the numbers reported on my lipid panel during my last physical.

From what I've seen, this site doesn't just cater to those looking to lose weight, but make a lifestyle change.

Would the Weight Watchers site be better suited to your needs?
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

If I could add the sound of applause to this post, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I see where the OP is coming from. An insurance company that uses BMI as a qualifier does not care how fit or muscular you are, does not care that athletes have high BMI-- if you're over the number, rejected.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that happens. They know that there are outliers. I doubt that fit (low fat, muscular) athletes are being rejected. I would also imagine that there are additional ways you can show your actual body composition.

Actually that is exactly how it works. Someone comes to your house and weighs you, they do not take your waist measurements or ask you to run a mile or do squats. They also take blood samples. Your weight, if high, counts against you and can either disqualify you completely or raise your rates.

I had to qualify when I was 7 months pregnant and they STILL used my weight against me!
  • Yukibar
    Yukibar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree ...I've been Weight Watchers several times and have lost weight --but their points calculation and online logging proved to be too-time consuming for me and eventually I'd drift away.

I find MFP so much easier.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Denise

You're missing the forest for the trees. It sounds like you are primarily concerned with a number than no one but yourself sees, rather than your physique, strength, and health. I understand that you still want to lose weight, but sometimes people try to encourage you to take measurements because if you see changes there, it'll motivate you to keep going. The scale is just ONE tool to measure your progress, and if you give the scale ALL the attention, you're going to spend a lot of this journey frustrated and unhappy...but that's your choice ultimately.
This discussion has been closed.