This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    inches > number on the scale any day. I can wear 42 sized pants now and I'm currently 312. Before I started on the weight loss/ fittness journey the last time I was wearing size 42 pants was in high school and I was 270 then.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Ok I get where you're coming from, however as your body fat shrinks, so will your weight. Sometimes the scale won't budge but the inches fall off. Try to understand that both are necessary and that getting frustrated is like a dog chasing its tail: it really doesn't get you anywhere.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Then you're missing the overall point all together! There are so many people on here that get so hung up on the scale that they can't see their real progress. There are so many different body shapes and sizes and not anyone of those will look the same at the same weight. Body fat% is what should be measured. That is why measurements, along with weight, should be measured and not the scale by itself.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

Hi Denise

I know exactly where you're coming from. From my own point of view however, my main aim was to get into size 10 (uk) clothes (which I have now achieved), therefore, if my measurements reduced and by that happening it enabled me to get into the size 10s, that was great, hence why I, and I suspect, many other people take their measurements and most likely, why they ask you if you do the same.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I LIKE PUPPIES!!!

This is something my daughter yell when my wife and I argue.

I think the original OP is just frustrated and needs to take a step back and breath. We are all here to help each other. If you don't want the help then just don't post such open ended topics. If you post I'm not losing weight then you are going to get the inches response because a LOT of people are duing strength training, weight lifting or whatever. This will cause you to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Muscle burns fat so the scale may stay the same at certain times, (which can be frustrating when you want to see it go down), but you are getting healthier and losing fat.
    BMI sucks. They need to update it.
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    any employer that wont hire your cuz of your BMI thats descrimination, hell even fat hookers get work so i dont wanna hear that fat people cant do work that skinny people can... just saying... as for the weight thing everyone loses at a different rate, like for me i lost then i platued for three weeks then i shrank, then i gained weight, then i lost all of it again... so everyone has different ways of losing and it is a struggle and a headache for some people... keep your head up no matter what your goal is keep working at it and youll eventually get there.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?

I would guess any job that bases their initial screenings on BMI?

If you're applying for jobs that screen primarily on BMI then you are applying for jobs where fitness is just as important as weight loss. When you are losing mass around your body composition that is assumed to mean you are gaining muscle (important) while losing weight (important.) Inches lost does mean weight lost, you have GOT to be patient with yourself and the results. While you are working on weight loss apply for OTHER jobs that do NOT screen initially for BMI (they do exist.) Then as your numbers begin creeping down you can start looking for a job at your own leisure and not care if they screen for BMI first or not.

I am pretty sure you didn't get yourself heavy in a week or 5, so you aren't going to undo it in a week or 5. Be patient, and don't lash out at the people here who are trying to support you. I totally get that you are frustrated, and believe me I am not a fan of jobs who pre screen for BMI but if its a job you want then you've got to work for it, all good things are worth fighting for right? Good luck!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I LIKE PUPPIES!!!

This is something my daughter yell when my wife and I argue.

Thats so sweet!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    lets NOT make fun of the OP, but rather try to see things from her point of view.

fact of the matter is, you can still lose weight, and still look fat and flabby. the scale isnt an accurate measure of anything, really and the further along you travel in your fitness journey the more you will realize this. and the sooner you realize this, the better it is for you.

measurements, bf%, body composition, the way clothes fit, etc are what TRULY matters at the end of the day. NOT the scale. might as well throw that hunk of metal OUT the window. its a CRUTCH and it prevents you from paying attention to the measurements that TRULY matter.

hope you get that job.
    I appreciate responses like yours, just wanted to say thanks!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I would estimate 90% of athletes are over weight according to the BMI, they're probably in a lot better shape than most of us.

I feel like people don't get that doctors don't only base health on BMI. With just a visual exam you'll see an athlete is in great shape. The doctor uses the BMI for the general population because it's an easy guideline for most people to follow. For a person with average muscle and average build it's usually pretty spot on I tend to see.

A doctor expecting you to monitor your own body fat% is quite difficult since there are no reliable home measures to use.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise
    I kind of disagree with you. The site is not called My weight lose pal. The site helps people get healthier. It helps some gain weight, other lose weight. It doesn't matter if you are same weight or not. If you drop body fat precentage is the key to being healthier for some.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

Actually, the recommendation for measuring obesity is moving away from BMI and toward waist measurement. Researchers are finding that waist measurement is a better indicator. Job requirements are something else.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    whoo, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the futon....
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that there are a LOT of people who are being extremely rude here! Lets be SUPPORTIVE!

Wow, so let's recap. I'm assuming she asked for weight loss advice on another thread on which people started asking her about other indicators like inches. So then she created this post specifically to rant at the people giving her advice and asking about other reasonable indicators. I find it completly acceptable to support and encourage a person on their journey, but ludicris to suggest that this is a reasonable and supportable original post.

I am not judging her by her previous posts that I don't even know anything about. She sounded quite frustrated and I feel that it would be much more helpful to her if people would respond more supportively. Thats all. :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.

I gained a half inch on my hips in a few months but lost it else where so they don't work for me being stuck at a size 2 :grumble:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Denise

Your comment shows an ignorance of the factors that contribute to weight loss. The reasons they are important are discussed here every day.

I do commend you for not using the inch measurement as an excuse. You are right, if you are overweight and losing, the number on the scale should be coming down. The idea that muscle gain is going to be massively offset by fat loss is nuts.

So continue collecting all the data, measure and weigh your food accurately, and exercise, using a device that gives you an accurate idea of how hard your heart is working. You'll get there.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say what I'm really thinking...but I'm sure the moderators would delete it in an instant....
    so I'll try a nicer version.

If you don't like people's responses - don't post. Simple as that.
  • jenrome
    jenrome Posts: 7
    Options
    To the original poster, I think you let your frustration get the best of you and perhaps your post has come off sounding a bit harsher than it was meant. Equally, the answers here carry a lot more sarcasm and gentle humour than you might realize. The healthy way to lose weight is slowly and steadily and that's the advice people are giving. Perhaps the bit they've forgot to add is that what happens is that you might hang at the same weight for a bit while your body tones and your measurements change and then suddenly drop weight really quickly for a week or so, then stop again, then go up slightly before dropping suddenly again and realizing you've got to go get new clothes because everything you own is suddenly too big. It is just the way it works. And no one here is trying to chase you away. We were all at the same point at one time where this concept didn't make sense so everyone is laughing a bit more in recognition. Have a chuckle at your own frustration and get back at it. Also, for job and insurance purposes, get your doctor involved and get them to vouch for changes in measurements and not just scales. They'll have to take it on board because it is sound medical advice.

Good luck.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Denise,

When I first started to lose weight, I thought it was all about the scale numbers. I didn't do my initial measurements, which really disappoints me now.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that there will come a time when the scale will not budge, but your measurements will. If you depend only on the scale, then you will lose your motivation to continue your weight lose program. If you look at the scale and your measurements, then you will maintain the motivation to keep going.

I would also like to encourage you to not go just by BMI. I am a nurse and I know for a fact that BMI is not the all and end all when it comes to what is a healthy weight. Consider the following that many people do not know:

There are different BMI charts for men, women, children, adolescents, elderly, and people of different ethnicities and races. Additionally, there is a BMI chart for pregnant women.

Why?

Because Native Americans and Black people have denser bones. Because of this, their BMI numbers should be set a bit higher.

Older people lose bone, so their BMI numbers should be adjusted lower.

Asians have less dense and smaller bones, so their BMI numbers should be adjusted lower.

Men and women who lift weights will usually come in high on the BMI charts, which puts them at being overweight when their body fat percentage may actually be less than someone whose BMI is within the normal range.

What I am saying is that BMI is not the best tool for setting where you should be as far as weight. You must look at other things.

When I was 16, I weighed 116 pounds, but I was still a bit chunky. I had what my father called 'thunder thighs'. So, if I go by that, I should lose below 116 pounds, but that would be wrong because I lift weights now and will never be able to get there.

Additionally, when a person is obese, it requires muscle to move all that fat around. So, as a person gains weight, they do put on a bit of muscle. This is why morbidly obese people will never see the weight they were at before they started gaining weight. They have more muscle than when they were that pre-obese weight.

I like to encourage people to not go by the scale or measurements, but to go by body fat percentage. Many of the diseases that are caused by obesity are directly correlated to body fat percentage. If they were correlated to weight, weight lifters would have cancer, heart disease, fatty liver, etc. But they are not; they are correlated to body fat percentage.

Thus, I would like to encourage you to go to fat2fitradio.com and calculate your current body fat percentage. Read over their site and learn more about losing weight. But also get those measurements, because there will come a day when you will get discouraged, but seeing a loss in inches will spur you on. I should know. I have been at a plateau for over a month now, but I have still lost 4-5 inches, which is what has kept me going.
This discussion has been closed.