This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

Actually, most everyone, myself included, is here to be more healthy. That includes increased cardiovascular function, endurance, strength, lean muscle mass, lowered blood pressure and lower cholesterol readings. For many, it means winning the battle against diabetes and other medical conditions caused by being overweight. Yet others are here as part of their battle against an eating disorder. And tons of members are here to maintain their health, track macros, gain weight and body build.

If I only looked at my scale, I'd have given up a long time ago. My measurements tell my story much better than my scale ever could. I'm 20lbs heavier than I was the last time I was in a single digit clothing size. I'm losing only 1-3lbs a month now, but I look and feel better than I have in years. I'm certain I'm not alone.

Just because this specific forum board is titled "weight loss", it's not about starvation or 1200 calories or liquid diets. It doesn't mean there aren't other things that factor into it. Many members who post on these boards have lost weight in a very healthy way and are keeping it off through maintenance. When people feel discouraged about hitting a plateau, those shrinking measurements give renewed strength.

Anyone can try a fad diet and lose some pounds/kilograms/stones quickly. This site, and the supportive members on it, are here to help us live healthy lives to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.

I gained a half inch on my hips in a few months but lost it else where so they don't work for me being stuck at a size 2 :grumble:

I am going to say something here that I would never normally consider saying.....

If you are a size 2 what the hell are you trying to lose weight for? The reason you put measurements ON your hips and lost it elsewhere is because your brain decided in its infinite wisdom to take whatever precious little padding you had left from one place and stick it on your hips to protect them. You had virtually nothing left to burn except the part where your measurements decreased and then the very next chance your body got to store anything, it bunged it on your hips where it was needed.

Besides which, gaining half inch in a few months is not worth worrying about - half an inch gain in three days, different matter.

When I talk about taking measurements, I am referring to those that are desperate to lose weight and if you consider yourself in that category, then you need to sit back, take stock and realize you are treading on dangerous territory, because a size 2 is NOT overweight and never will be.

Sorry people, this is getting ridiculous and dangerous now!!!!!! :angry: :mad:

What if she's 4'11"?
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What possibly could be affecting your weight is your attitude. When people are asking you about measurement, perhaps they know something you do not know, right? When you come back with caps lock on (screaming) people will decide that they do not want to help you and there fore your weight loss program will stall. Just a thought.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Unless you are weight training pretty heavily three times a week or more I fail to see how measuring matters either.

Because by taking down the measurements as well as the number on the scale, it is more encouragement.

Hell, I remember only losing 0.4lbs one week, however when I took my measurements, I discovered my waist had lost half an inch, my hips quarter of an inch as well as quarter of an inch off my belly - therefore measurements are important for encouragement and it spurs me on to continue.

I gained a half inch on my hips in a few months but lost it else where so they don't work for me being stuck at a size 2 :grumble:

I am going to say something here that I would never normally consider saying.....

If you are a size 2 what the hell are you trying to lose weight for? The reason you put measurements ON your hips and lost it elsewhere is because your brain decided in its infinite wisdom to take whatever precious little padding you had left from one place and stick it on your hips to protect them. You had virtually nothing left to burn except the part where your measurements decreased and then the very next chance your body got to store anything, it bunged it on your hips where it was needed.

Besides which, gaining half inch in a few months is not worth worrying about - half an inch gain in three days, different matter.

When I talk about taking measurements, I am referring to those that are desperate to lose weight and if you consider yourself in that category, then you need to sit back, take stock and realize you are treading on dangerous territory, because a size 2 is NOT overweight and never will be.

What if she's 4'11"?
    Or not using US sizes?
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Size 2 isn't big even if you are 4'11
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I gained 10lbs and looked better afterwards.

Good luck with your "weight" only focus.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Here we go again. Do you look like any of those people? Do you have their level of muscularity or their low body fat percentage?

Even with the level of fitness they have they're not even considered overweight. So its not even a good excuse example lol.

Exactly, Hi, Victoria.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For a visual indication of how measurments matter.

9648316_5328.jpg

9648316_9186.jpg

That's about 5kg worth of difference. Looks a lot more right?

I understand OP why scale matters. Sometimes we get so focused on the number that we forget our body is giving us other indications that we are getting smaller. I'm currently focused on one number (being under 100kg) and I'm temporarily stopping other things to get that number. I know it's silly, but that number is important to me.

BMI is a good starting point but it's not the ONLY indicator of losing weight.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I never said I was overweight. I'm actually a pretty healthy weight and quite muscular. I want to lower my body fat% and have some definition. Just because your standards are low doesn't mean I have to match up to what you're doing. You stick with your fitness goals and I'll stick to mine.

FYI I'm 5'3 and 132lbs. I could lose another 20lbs and still be considered healthy if I wanted to. Also it wasn't magical body fairies that put inches on my hips. Its the almost 195lb squats and 220lb deadlifts that I've been doing most likely :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    Options

It depends on the line. They make 00s and 0s. I'm 5'2", three inches taller. Depending on the garment, I wear anything from a Petite 00 to a Petite 6, although usually a Petite 2 or 4.

A thin, well-proportioned person of 4' 11" might swim in a 2, especially if it's a Regular 2.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Depends on the sizing system. I'm a size 10 US in pants, but where I live, I'm a size 4.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We are all on hear for the same reason, to achieve a healthier life. That should all the matters that have been dicussed. I do not measure because looking at the scale was bad enough. But I know by the way my clothes fit that my measurements are less than they were. Good luck to everyone on achieving you goal no matter what it might be. Wishing everyone a healthier, longer and happier life.:love:
  • mfpcopine
    Options

FYI I'm 5'3 and 132lbs. I could lose another 20lbs and still be considered healthy if I wanted to. Also it wasn't magical body fairies that put inches on my hips. Its the almost 195lb squats and 220lb deadlifts that I've been doing most likely :flowerforyou:

I always get a lot of flak, but I've said several times here that if a woman is concerned about developing a bigger butt, hips, and thighs she should be careful about direct weight resistance. It can make you look better.

Of course, some women don't mind, or even like their new shape, or their body fat is distributed differently so it's not so noticeable, but if you tend to carry weight in your lower half no matter how thin you are, I'd watch out.
  • victoria4321
    Options

I always get a lot of flak, but I've said several times here that if a woman is concerned about developing a bigger butt, hips, and thighs she should be careful about direct weight resistance. It can make you look better.

Of course, some women don't mind, or even like their new shape, or their body fat is distributed differently so it's not so noticeable, but if you tend to carry weight in your lower half no matter how thin you are, I'd watch out.

Yeah I don't mind it too much since my butt looks rounder. I'd rather be stronger and deal with the bigger hips and thighs I think though. My real goal is to just not have a gut lol. Only issue now is that I have to tailor all my jeans because the waist always needs to be taken in.

I think having a bigger butt only bothers women too. I still have yet to meet a single guy complain about their gfs big toned *kitten* and thighs :laugh:
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    They are trying to help. A pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat but look very different. Weight loss board or not this is like saying i am complaining about not losing weight and you are asking me about diet and exercise. Weight loss is a broad intricate process a lot things affect it. You are not losing weight? how stressed are you?
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Yeah I don't mind it too much since my butt looks rounder. I'd rather be stronger and deal with the bigger hips and thighs I think though. My real goal is to just not have a gut lol. Only issue now is that I have to tailor all my jeans because the waist always needs to be taken in.

I think having a bigger butt only bothers women too. I still have yet to meet a single guy complain about their gfs big toned *kitten* and thighs :laugh:

Whenever I make my comment about strength training ,I always try to include the recognition that what is considered a desirable body shape reflects current cultural norms that evolve and can certainly be disagreed with. But I think it's unfair to advise all women that they will never get any bigger when some of them will, and when some of them do care about even an extra 1/2." Those are the people who break out the photos of the fitness models. The reason they're fitness models is because that's what they look like when they lift. :smile:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job weight on the scale matter.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

When you figure out how to lose a lot of weight and still have the same measurements let me know how you did it.

^^^^This.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job weight on the scale matter.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

When you figure out how to lose a lot of weight and still have the same measurements let me know how you did it.

so technically I could become weightless? defy gravity. :laugh:
  • victoria4321
    Options

Whenever I make my comment about strength training ,I always try to include the recognition that what is considered a desirable body shape reflects current cultural norms that evolve and can certainly be disagreed with. But I think it's unfair to advise all women that they will never get any bigger when some of them will, and when some of them do care about even an extra 1/2." Those are the people who break out the photos of the fitness models. The reason they're fitness models is because that's what they look like when they lift. :smile:

Oh yeah totally agree with that. Also when I see some people blast women about getting bulky and it being impossible. Just like some guys can put on muscle easily I think some women can do this too. If its not the look they're going for then you can't really be mad at them I'd say.

I wish the cultural norm was strong and fit women though. I used to be worried about being muscular but I'd gotten nothing but compliments. So far only one guy pointed out my muscles and gave kind of a back handed compliment about them but he was so skinny. I can't date guys that I can out lift. Its a rule :laugh:
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weight and measurments do go together and are both good tools for us to use. Take a tip from a seamstress, though, and replace your tape every so often because most of them do stretch out over time with normal use turning 33" into 33.5" or more.
This discussion has been closed.