Something to think about: gender and insecurity.

Options
13»

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't even read threads about bodybuilding women, or powerlifting women (my people!!) because the comments all become 'would I do her or not' and it degrades the hard work people put into their physique and/or lifting. It shows little respect because you're not talking about what they've done but rather, if they appeal to your naughty bits or not. It's all about you and nothing about them or their actions.

Picture a tiny ant. Now imagine that ant's tiny mouth. Now imagine a tiny mite that lives in that ant's mouth. I care less than the size of that mite about who anyone on MFP wants to sleep with. Reading page after page trying to follow a conversation about women who lift and having to scour through posts of 'hur hur I'd do her' or 'eeew nasty! I'd never get so manly!' are not only insulting but also boring as hell.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Love.
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    Excellent post! Couldn't agree more.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I love this post!! I think that all people are beautiful in their own unique way...I found it disheartening that a woman who obviously is very careful with what she puts in her body and takes care of herself is denegrated for the way she looks. At 64 years old, an age when most people let themselves go, she grooms herself towards good health. Just because we as a culture associate a low BF% and muscle definition as "masculine" doesn't mean that it is solely limited to men. Woman can get there too...it just takes harder work with more determination. That is why I nominate her honorary MFP Queen for the day!

"At 64 years old, an age when most people let themselves go. . . "

Oh . .. really? So let's move on from this too!!

Yes, and please....let's not take a SMALL portion of what I said to pick apart when I had so many other positive things to say. I have worked with the elderly for many years, and yes...many people post-retirement stop worrying about fitness and just enjoy life. That is not to be said that it is a bad thing, but it can lead to health issues. I can't believe that you found a small part of ALL the positive things that I had to say to pick apart. Geez...I can't even be supportive without someone finding fault in my words.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I love you for this post <3
    You=my hero :)
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    Very encouraging post~!
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    Brilliant post, I agree with so much of it! This attitude is particularly obvious in the comments made about Madonna. Women's bodies are judged so much and society places so much importance on a woman's body. It's particularly sad that so many women have been exposed to this toxic attitude all their lives and go on to police other women's bodies. (Not that I'm blaming them, internalised misogyny is insidious and harmful, but it's a good survival strategy.) The only answer I can come up with is calling out this attitude wherever you see it, but it's exhausting because it's everywhere and sometimes I just can't deal with another reminder of how women's bodies are apparently public property to be discussed and judged.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with you here I want to get more mascular, not sure if I will make it or not. But I was all my life skinny and I fainted sometimes because of lack of weight for my height and in my culture women are super skinny till a certain age If you are bigger then XS maximum S you never find good clothes at all and then they get fat after getting married and having a baby...many people (including my family) think I am crazy by trying to lift and working out every day. I hear a lot of comments like oh you've been so skinny, you got bigger what happened I personally think a girl who can climb a mountain, swim fast, go to a long hiking etc is so much sexier then a skinny super model who is always angry for never eating and always having lack of forces. There are a few exceptions among that with really small bones And recently I start liking and wanting for myself to get biggers arms, legs, better 6 pack, not just flat but with muscles I really think it's the best gift youc an give to your health
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    long debate with myself about if i could be bothered to answer this post. i have no interest in which female body form is the most attractive to certain people or not, simply is unimportant to myself , what i find attractive is my buisness and i generally don't discuss it with other people. so be want you want to be and don't sweat it. this particular statement though needs something saying

This is why male to female transgendered women are so vulnerable to some particularly sick violence from strangers. The existence of a person who had a penis but now looks like a woman becomes threatening to the acknowledged masculinity of the insecure *kitten* men that are violent against her. So they are violent to prove something.

in my experience (which is considerable) Transgenderd women are not vulnerable, their life experience getting to the point where they start to live as they should is so difficult,(far greater than say just losing weight ) they are ANYTHING but vulnerable when they start that process, they are not Victims, don't assume they are and certainly don't then display ignorance by putting the blame for any predudice they experience solely at the Door of "insecure *kitten* men" because a far greater amount of predudice comes from women ,who blindly think that "man" in a dress in the ladies toilet can only be there to harrass them.
    please , the rest of your post is fine, you want to build muscles girl, you go ahead regardless of what anyone else thinks of the results, but don't go quoting something you clearly know little about in order to justify it.
    just saying
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

This is why male to female transgendered women are so vulnerable to some particularly sick violence from strangers. The existence of a person who had a penis but now looks like a woman becomes threatening to the acknowledged masculinity of the insecure *kitten* men that are violent against her. So they are violent to prove something.

in my experience (which is considerable) Transgenderd women are not vulnerable, their life experience getting to the point where they start to live as they should is so difficult,(far greater than say just losing weight ) they are ANYTHING but vulnerable when they start that process, they are not Victims, don't assume they are and certainly don't then display ignorance by putting the blame for any predudice they experience solely at the Door of "insecure *kitten* men" because a far greater amount of predudice comes from women ,who blindly think that "man" in a dress in the ladies toilet can only be there to harrass them.
    please , the rest of your post is fine, you want to build muscles girl, you go ahead regardless of what anyone else thinks of the results, but don't go quoting something you clearly know little about in order to justify it.
    just saying

I really appreciate what you are saying here. Transgendered women are not by definition victims, but I'm also not giving a pass to heterosexist men who assault them. You are right that the feminist community and women in general have been rather unacceptable in their unwillingness to accept transgender women as women all the same. I'm thinking of the Michigan Womyn's Festival as an example.

However, I'm not going to conceded the point about the particularly sick violence transgender women uniquely can become at risk of. There is a Transgender Day of Rememberance (here is a list of people who died in 2010 due to transgender bias: http://www.transgenderdor.org/?page_id=1194. By my count there are 32 names. As I was scrolling through I noticed one of the causes of death is "brutally tortured and burned") to acknowledge transgender people, primarily women, who were viciously attacked and killed because of their transgender status. This is the only bit of violence against a transgender woman I can think of in which someone died and it wasn't the transgender woman: http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/157000805.html. I'd note that she will be going to prison (and housed as a man) even though she was defending herself from a gang (literally) of racist attackers.

I really appreciate what you said about the sum total of life experience resulting in a strength that is hard to quantify and that "victim" is a label that is not appropriate to them. I agree. As I think of some of the most important people in my life, I agree. But that doesn't change the fact that there is a subculture of insecure *kitten* that presents a scary risk precisely because of gender insecurity and opposite sexism/cissexism.