Weigh yourself everyday

Options
FACT: In a study of 3,000 dieters, those who weighed themselves daily lost an average of 12 pounds, compared to a 6-pound loss for dieters who did weekly weigh-ins. Dieters who didn't weigh themselves at all gained four pounds.

I dont know if it's actually true or not, I read it online and found it to be very interesting. Definitely going to step on the scal every morning from now on haha

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday regardless, whether I'm trying to make a life change or not.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I weigh every morning =) It helps you understand how your weight fluctuates. Just don't panic when it goes up and down..
  • Drealynnrose
    Drealynnrose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day in the morning just to make sure I stay on track. Just a little obsessed with the scale but hey 30 lbs off and I'm happy. :happy:
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with this "study". After reading an unlimited number of posts on this site as well as other ones over the years, it's become very clear that those who weigh themselves every day are the ones that become discouraged and give up. It's time to lessen the use of the scale and focus on measurements, the way the clothes fit and most of all, the way you feel overall....
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also weight myself every morning. It is part of my morning routine; get up, go potty, wash my hands, brush my teeth, and weight myself. I find it helps me stay on track with my weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with this "study". After reading an unlimited number of posts on this site as well as other ones over the years, it's become very clear that those who weigh themselves every day are the ones that become discouraged and give up. It's time to lessen the use of the scale and focus on measurements, the way the clothes fit and most of all, the way you feel overall....
    I think that a formal study is going to be a bit more accurate than your general impression of random people on a message board. Did you ever think that it works for plenty of people and we just don't see a need to blab about it all the time?
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Ive seen/heard many people who weighed daily and saw no change on the scale so they gave up. So I definitely disagree with the "study"..
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I weigh 2 -3 times a week
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Ive seen/heard many people who weighed daily and saw no change on the scale so they gave up. So I definitely disagree with the "study"..
    How many people? How did those numbers compare to those who weighed every day and were successful? And how did that compare to people who weighed less frequently? Oh, that's right... you have no idea.
  • briannereynolds
    Options
    I like to weigh myself in the morning anyway, just to make sure I'm on track. I may think I had a good day but step on and notice that I gained. Helps me make sure I'm making good choices :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, and before and after workouts, but i understand that scale weight means many things. If i lose weight after a workout, i drink more water. If i weigh more today than yesterday, it's indicative of eating a slow digesting meal, which i try to avoid. (Mainly just fast digesting fruit and veggie meals.)
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only time my weight ever went way up (to the point where my clothes didn't fit) was when I was at the hospital constantly with a dying relative and not able to exercise or eat on any kind of normal schedule. I also was not weighing myself daily, and boy was it a shock when I got back on the scale! I would have been MUCH better off if I'd continued weighing myself.

Yes, it goes up and down, and no, I haven't had (or needed) any major weight loss, but it definitely keeps me aware of the trend if it starts going up and staying up.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I do what I know what works for me, which happens to be weighing every day.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    LOL Not sure if theres any truth to that or not either but I weigh everyday also, I only weigh in and plug my numbers in here once a week but I look every morning:) I cant help it!! I HAVE to peek hehe
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh at least every other day. It's really helped me to understand how my weight fluctuates and how and when I lose weight. But I can understand why some people choose not to do it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This is correct - anyone who says otherwise needs to do some statistical analysis

Just don't get fixated with temporary gains or lack of loss - but if you go 2 weeks with no loss - then face the reality
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I thinking weighing everyday motivates me more because I work harder through the day so I have something to look forward to in the morning.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day. Morning first thing and before bed. I like seeing what effect my eating, fluids and exercise have on daily fluctuations. I agree with the others just dont freak out with the results and keep to the plan.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well I can see how seeing the daily fluctations would make somebody eat less... I see so many people flip out on here because they go up a pound or two the next day. I only weigh once or twice a week because of that.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every day... sometimes more than once. :)