Weigh yourself everyday

Options

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily now but I didn't own a scale until about 4 weeks ago, prior to that I weighed myself every time I was at the gym (4-5x/wk). Even if the scale wasn't the most accurate sticking with the same scale showed me how my weight fluctuated through the month. It has helped me understand how my weight is affected by my cycle, by different types of activity, and by drinking more or less water than the daily recommended 8, heck I even have a pretty good understanding of what a cheat day does and exactly how long it takes to flush the extra stuff out of my gut. I get that some people don't like the scale, for me it's just one more measure of my success and a more immediate satisfaction that my hard work is paying off since it takes a lot more than a pound or two to change the way clothes fit or move the number on a tape measure.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The scientist in me needs a link. Or a cite, or something. If the link someone else posted is the right one, then the groups they studied had these losses over a 2 yr period. So I don't think 12 or 6 is acceptable over a 2 yr period. I guess I'm just not their average person! And I'll help pull up the numbers for the once a week group!!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Can't speak to what is better scientifically, but it seems that for some people, weighing daily is just right for them and for others, weighing less often is better. People might change their minds too - its all a process to learn what works best for oneself.

I weigh daily. Otherwise I think I might let it slip away from me. Before I tried getting healthy, I didn't look at the scale at all. Plus, I know that it can fluctuate up to 3 lbs for various things, but generally more than that usually means i've had a huge binge or haven't been eating the best, am not regular, etc. Just important to use it to direct action, pat oneself on the back, but not to freak out.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to do that. It's a bit too obsessive for me. Every other week is fine.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Me and the scale aren't friends, but I find it best to weight a few times a week. That's enough to keep track of progress, but not too much to get obsessed. Whether I weigh daily or weekly or monthly, I have been discouraged by gains, especially if I have been working really hard.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself like 3+ times a day!!!
    ME TOO
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I believe that it is per person. I know that if I weigh myself daily I become obsessed and it usually equates to more than once a day. I would get discouraged quickly. I weigh myself every friday. Friday is my "treat myself" day to gage where I am at and see how much I should allow myself that day. I weigh again on Monday morning right after I use the restroom and this is the weekly weight that you all see. I have been doing this for 3 weeks now after trying many other methods and it seems to be working very well.

There's my 2 cents :flowerforyou:
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Where does this study come from?? I find it highly doubious . I used to do it myself for a long long time and I didnt loose nor gain any weight at all. I can personally recommend it to people who reached and wish to maintain their ideal weight.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I've lost a total of 91.8lbs since I've started. Truthfully I've seen the opposite study results. It really doesn't matter if you weigh your self 10 times a day or once a month! Its ridiculous to think you will lose more weight the amount of time you get on a scale. It is what you eat and the amount of exercise you put in that effects the numbers!
  • missfizzi
    missfizzi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh my self most days of the week and found i always got down with what the scales would say if i had not lost any or as much and got depressed and ate more so when i finally decided to take the diet and excersize seriously last year i decided never to stand on the scales untill i had really lost alot of weight through my clothes getting looser to a comfortable size, i went for 8 months and when i finally stood on the scales was terrified but found i had lost 56pounds but after that i now am back to standing on the scales daily again its like addictivness lol.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, or once every two weeks. It doesn't help me at all to weigh myself every single dayn and slowly watch the weight drop rather than once a week, or once every two weeks.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day, even have a spreadsheet with all my weights and my food intake, etc.

it hasn't hurt me at all, because i can see why my weight would fluctuate and it has really gotten me to understand my body.

as you can see down 98 lbs so far, not discouraged by it at all.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I myself DO NOT weigh in everyday. I find myself getting discouraged if there is a gain . I find, personally for myself , weighing in once a week works best for me. Everyone is different though. :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I've lost a total of 91.8lbs since I've started. Truthfully I've seen the opposite study results. It really doesn't matter if you weigh your self 10 times a day or once a month! Its ridiculous to think you will lose more weight the amount of time you get on a scale. It is what you eat and the amount of exercise you put in that effects the numbers!

I totally agree with you on that one.
  • vico1612
    vico1612 Posts: 18
    Options
    I just wrote this reply whilst standing on my scales :tongue:
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i started using this site, weighing in at 151lbs, now i am 128. i weigh every day and every night before bed...some may call this obsessive...i call it staying on track. it helps me figure out what foods cause "water weight", how my "cheat day" effects weight..etc.

i think whatever works for you if what is best. i myself think that weighing weekly would make me cheat...

Do what you think works best...forget the studies.

good luck to you!
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've had tons of people harp on me for my everyday habit, but seriously - I am super competitive with myself and if I see it move in the wrong direction, I wake the hell up. Some days can be frustrating, but for the most part, it's how I've lost what I have.
  • Jessie1227
    Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I thinking weighing everyday motivates me more because I work harder through the day so I have something to look forward to in the morning.

Agree with this. I've posted about this in another thread. It keeps me on my game. If I ate something out of the ordinary one day and my scale goes up the next morning, I know not to do that again. I do, however, get that "OH DARN!" reaction when it does go up but it certainly doesn't ruin my day, I just make different choices. Basically what it comes down to is everyone is different and everyone loses the way that they do. What may work for one may not work for the other. Simple.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but only post weight loss when it has stayed steady for several days. Knowing my bodies natural fluctuations such as adding 5lbs before my period vs foods my body has trouble digesting is important to me. Once a week weighing could be more discouraging to me if it landed during my monthly fluid gain and had to live with it for a week.
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week. My weigh in day is sunday morning and then I weigh in on thursday. This means I know my rate going into the weekend and how many times I need to hit the gym/ how much I can eat.