• B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Nothing if you skip it daily like I do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Surely as a fitness trainer thats a bad example youre setting :-/
    Absolutely not. Scientific evidence and Medical journals show NO evidence that eating breakfast increases metabolism nor makes that body any more efficient than when it takes in any other meal.
    Realize that the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" slogan was created by the cereal companies.
    Look back at how our physiology was in the beginning. Being a hunter/gatherer, it was RARE for us to have "breakfast" first thing in the morning. It could be hours and hours before the first meal of the day. Industrial agriculture changed that.
    Our physical bodies purpose hasn't changed in thousands of years. It knows how to store and how to utilize energy efficiently. The myth that breakfast speeds up metabolism and jumpstarts it has been ongoing for so long.
    Now some HABITUALLY need breakfast, but to the body it doesn't distinguish meals. It digests every meal the same way.

IDEA Fitness member

Although there's conflicting information everywhere, I definitely believe there is some truth to your words. However, if you were hungry in the morning, would you eat? How long have you been doing this? And have you noticed any positive or negative changes?

Just curious... Thanks!
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Oatmeal, usually with honey and butter, sometimes with fruit.
    Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts.
    A giant omelet loaded with veg and cheese.
    Veggie and cheese quiche.

Coffee with all.

I have a hard time eating breakfast, I'm not hungry in the morning and I typically have to force myself to eat it. But if I don't eat within an hour or two of getting up it has an enormous impact on my energy levels, as in I have none. I also have a tendency to binge on junk later on in the day if I don't eat breakfast.
  • B_Running
    I put about 5 cups of greens (like Spring mix) into my Vitamix then add 2 T of hemp protein powder and 1 cup of frozen mixed berries and about 1 cup water and make a smoothie.

As a side note; adding hemp protein powder and ground flax seeds to salads and such help make me feel much more full throughout the day and they keep my blood sugar level steady.

I recently stopped adding ground flax to my smoothies and salads -- I didn't notice any difference in my hunger level or digestion. I was pretty disappointed, particularly after reading such great things about flax.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    2 eggs scrambled with 1/4 cup mushrooms, pepper or 1 cup spinach, 1 tsp parmesan, and then I top it with either salsa or guacamole (2T). Coffee with coconut milk in it. Very satisfying.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    I put about 5 cups of greens (like Spring mix) into my Vitamix then add 2 T of hemp protein powder and 1 cup of frozen mixed berries and about 1 cup water and make a smoothie.

As a side note; adding hemp protein powder and ground flax seeds to salads and such help make me feel much more full throughout the day and they keep my blood sugar level steady.

I recently stopped adding ground flax to my smoothies and salads -- I didn't notice any difference in my hunger level or digestion. I was pretty disappointed, particularly after reading such great things about flax.

Wow, that just proves that we are all different. It works for me very well. Have you tried hemp protein powder? My trainer is the same as you regarding flax but the hemp powder works for her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Nothing if you skip it daily like I do.

IDEA Fitness member

Surely as a fitness trainer thats a bad example youre setting :-/
    Absolutely not. Scientific evidence and Medical journals show NO evidence that eating breakfast increases metabolism nor makes that body any more efficient than when it takes in any other meal.
    Realize that the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" slogan was created by the cereal companies.
    Look back at how our physiology was in the beginning. Being a hunter/gatherer, it was RARE for us to have "breakfast" first thing in the morning. It could be hours and hours before the first meal of the day. Industrial agriculture changed that.
    Our physical bodies purpose hasn't changed in thousands of years. It knows how to store and how to utilize energy efficiently. The myth that breakfast speeds up metabolism and jumpstarts it has been ongoing for so long.
    Now some HABITUALLY need breakfast, but to the body it doesn't distinguish meals. It digests every meal the same way.

IDEA Fitness member

Although there's conflicting information everywhere, I definitely believe there is some truth to your words. However, if you were hungry in the morning, would you eat? How long have you been doing this? And have you noticed any positive or negative changes?

Just curious... Thanks!
    If hungry, then yes I will eat something. I always eat when I'm hungry and consequently I eat late at night all the time. This is more than likely why I'm not hungry at "breakfast" time. I train in the morning and then eat my first meal around 12pm or 1pm.
    I've been doing it this way for years after realizing the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" slogan was actually not proven by science.
    No real positive or negative changes with the exception that the other myth (no eating after 7pm-8pm) was busted also, so eating late at night (which is what I do when I watch DVR'd shows) has hampered my maintenance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • B_Running

Wow, that just proves that we are all different. It works for me very well. Have you tried hemp protein powder? My trainer is the same as you regarding flax but the hemp powder works for her.

No, I haven't tried it. What made you try it in the first place?

Not sure if this is a ridiculous question or not, but here it goes: Would hemp protein powder alter the results of a drug test? (Need to take one for employment in the near future).
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 749 Member
    I sometimes make a protein shake with fruit and milk and protein powder and I would be full for at least 5-6 hrs. But most days I eat a special k bar with milk and that will last me awhile
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    My trainer suggested it. I'm not sure about the drug test part. Hemp protein powder does not have any of the drug in it but I'm not sure what all drug tests screen for. I would definately call a local Labcorp or something like it and ask.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    oatmeal usually. but i had a plain bagel with cream cheese today :)
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    I had an egg white omelet with diced tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, onion, turkey breast, and mozzarella cheese. I topped it off with some pineapple salsa- yummy! (usually wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla)

Occasionally, I eat oatmeal/cream of wheat with a sliced banana and a pinch of cinnamon.

Yogurt, that's good too. My favorite thing to do is to put Kashi cereal in in to give it that added crunch. :love:

I could go on and on...

However, sometimes I'm naughty and will eat the sausage, steak, or chicken biscuits leftover from work.
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    My new favorite breakfast (on the days I don't have eggs) is

Steel cut oats cooked in water topped with

drizzle of agave nectar
    shredded coconut (unsweetened)
    chopped mango

So yummy
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Went for my comfort brekkie this a.m.: Hot & spicy veggie sausage on whole wheat toast with simply fruit brand raspberry jam.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Eggs, Bacon, and cheese!!!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    My new favorite breakfast (on the days I don't have eggs) is

Steel cut oats cooked in water topped with

drizzle of agave nectar
    shredded coconut (unsweetened)
    chopped mango

So yummy
    That sounds SO good!
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    Today's breakfast!
    30g of crunchy nut cereal with 100ml semi skimmed milk and
    2 jacobs savour salt and black pepper crackers
    with my lovely hubby's home made hummus! DELISH!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Plenty of studies show that eating breakfast is good for your health. It can help maintain weight loss and even reduce lead poisoning. But a 2011 report found that 31 million Americans still don’t eat in the morning.
    Oz Garcia, celebrity nutritionist for stars like Hilary Swank and Naomi Campbell, never skips breakfast. His meal of choice: an omelet made with two organic egg whites, one egg yolk, spinach and tomatoes, with a half-cup of organic berries on the side. “This breakfast has a lot of protein and will help keep you feeling full throughout the day.

:laugh: :happy: :tongue: :mad: :ohwell: :love: :heart: :heart: :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Plenty of studies show that eating breakfast is good for your health.
    Studies "correlate" it. Studies don't prove it's good for health. If you ate biscuits and gravy for breakfast each day and gained weight (I'm sure you've seen the calories in some breakfasts at Denny's and IHOP) how healthy can that be?
    It can help maintain weight loss and even reduce lead poisoning.
    Really? I'd like to see the study on reducing lead poisoning since I would think that lead isn't relevant when it comes to eating.
    But a 2011 report found that 31 million Americans still don’t eat in the morning.
    Being one (as well as several on this site) of those 31 milliion, how many did the report say were fit and healthy?

Not trying to bag on people who eat breakfast here. If that's what people need to do to reach their goals or stay fuller all day, then keep doing it if the results keep coming. Point I'm making is that eating in the morning ISN'T needed to lead a good and healthy life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    oikios Fat free greek yogurt ( has lots of protein), 1/2 cup of frozen blueberry's and a banana
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Turkish breakfast... :D plain omelet (1 whole egg, 1 whites), cucumber & tomato, feta cheese, pita with cream & honey... and of course, coffee

breakfast.jpg