need help flavoring veggies !!!!

Options

Replies

• Joanie156
    Joanie156 Posts: 2
    Options
    I find Aromat-(All purpose Savoury Seasoning) to be very good :) Its made by the company Knorr.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yet another variation on the roasting theme:

- toss the cut raw veggies - and a sprig of fresh herbs from the garden - rosemary, thyme or oregano - with a tiny amount of olive oil and 1 clove freshly minced garlic .

I put them in a grilling basket and cook them for 10-15 minutes on the barbecue.

Delicious!
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I love string beans and eat a lot of them. I had them for dinner last night. I always start by blanching them for 2-3 minutes tuntil tender-crisp. My two favorite ways to finish them off are:

1/2 tsp olive oil and minced garlic, sautee and add beans to coat. Top with 1 tsp toasted almond slivers.

OR

drain water from pot used for blanching and return beans to same pot. Add 1 tsp butter and toss to coat. The leftover heat in the pot will melt the butter. Salt to taste.

I find that using just a little real fat doesn't add many calories and is worth it for the taste.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I <3 Mrs Dash!!!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can't believe its not butter spray is wonderful. I love the mrs dash suggestions. Putting those on my shopping list.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a shake or 2 of parmesan cheese helps.
  • viscumin
    viscumin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash! They are seasoning mixes with no salt, though I always add salt but you don't have to. There are 14 different seasoning blends, with that many choices you are bound to find a few you like. I use them on veggies, eggs, meat you name it. Give them a try and you can add flavor to your veggies.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I like them with a little garlic. I put them in a pan with a little oil, and add either fresh crushed garlic or minced garlic, and heat it up, and eat! So good!

yes!!! ^this! I LOVE GARLIC.
  • aleekatt1991
    Options
    There are tons of spices and ingredients you can use to change it up, without adding alot of calories. My favs are: Fresh Lemon juice. I use that and maybe some parsley and pepper on my salads. Barely a calorie in lemon juice! Salt is a huge NO NO, so stick to things like hot sauce, mustard, vinegar for condiments, and use some lemon juice with cooked veggies! :) also you can use parsley, oregano, chili powder, or fresh garlic. There's sooo many options.
  • thewaxx
    thewaxx Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite way to cook veggies, is to use olive oil and minced garlic and Roasted red Pepper flakes ( either saute or bake) . I f I really want to get fancy I will wrap green beans or asparagus with Turkey bacon with the same seasonings!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorites are:

Steamed - throw a little low sodium boullion on it
    Raw - Salsa
  • nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    i really like the Mrs Dash salt-free seasoning. They have a lot of different options.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like garlic and a little olive oil on mine. For roasted vegetables and potatoes I like to toss them with some olive oil, paprika, and garlic powder. That makes super delicious roasted potatoes!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Spray "Butter" and Mrs. Dash or Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I add a hefty sprinkle of both onion and garlic powder (I live alone, so no worries about garlic breath), or sometimes I use a sprinkling of taco seasoning (the kind that comes in the packets, you know?). I can't wait til dinner to eat my veggies now :)
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Spray "Butter" and Mrs. Dash or Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Ha! I was gonna say the exact same thing. Zero calorie spray butter and Mrs Dash. ;-)
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper is my favorite. There is some salt in there so not recommended if your watching your sodium, but it is SO GOOD! Makes any veggie tast amazing.

As a matter of fact I had green beans covered in lemon peopper just for lunch. It's also really yummy on hard-boiled eggs.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat veggies is to roast them. I put lots of cut up veggies on a tray, drizzle with olive oil, add a bit of salt and pepper and roast for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Adding balsamic vinegar is a nice change too!

^^^This. Also, if it's string beans- try them raw....my fave way to eat them! :)
  • ecn810
    ecn810 Posts: 10
    Options
    My wife likes to sprinkle a little lemon pepper, especially on greens.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat veggies is to roast them. I put lots of cut up veggies on a tray, drizzle with olive oil, add a bit of salt and pepper and roast for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Adding balsamic vinegar is a nice change too!

This is exactly what I do. I'll also add in minced garlic and dried rosemary for extra flavor. :-)