What's the best mistake you ever made?

Options
13»

Replies

• lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    The point of the question is to see how people react to questions or situations that they are not expecting.

I have to disagree :) To test the reaction to questions or situations that they are not expecting ! The standard questions are :
    - Why do you think i should hire you
    - What do you bring in the team that we don't have now
    -etc...
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    This is sad but true... But emotionally eating...

1. Emotional = ex boyfriend issues
    2. Eating = (see emotional above)

It's the greatest mistake ever because I gained 50 lbs out of it and realized I should have never let myself get this way over a guy.

Yup relationship over and Ibe lost half those pounds and feeling better than ever!
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Adopting my beautiful puppy Bella when I was with my ex. Never really wanted a dog but I love her and can't imagine life without her stinky face in it!!
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I took a wrong turn and ended up stuck in a driveway. The guy who lived there is now my husband.

that is so AWESOME
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Failing at my gastric bypass
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Letting my family influence what I wanted to do with my life. A whole year and student loans wasted on design school. Don't regret it though, it's all a part of learning who I want to be.
  • markyp33
    markyp33 Posts: 25
    Options
    My Son, 23 and my Daughter 27. I split from their Mother 10 years ago (she was the worst mistake), but they are so wonderful
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My daughter. I had a 'just turned one' year old, had just returned to work and 'oops'. I love her to bits.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    The point of the question is to see how people react to questions or situations that they are not expecting.

I have to disagree :) To test the reaction to questions or situations that they are not expecting ! The standard questions are :
    - Why do you think i should hire you
    - What do you bring in the team that we don't have now
    -etc...

Everyone is expecting those questions! Everyone! Not sure you can have standard questions that no one will expect?

The point of this question was whatever the person asking it wanted to take from it. And I expect they are happy to hear 101 different responses to it, instead of the same old answers to "why should we hire you?".

I didn't want to the hire the guy I was interviewing 6/7 or so years ago... my boss liked him and hired him anyway. We've been together for nearly 5 years now. So glad my boss didn't listen to me.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I interview people too -

This is an ambush question, designed to throw you off and get an honest first reaction. Which is usually "uh oh I didnt practice my answer to this interview question" response.

My other go to favorite is the typical "what is your weakness question"

When they start giving the common response "I try to hard," or I "take to many tasks on" or I expect to much etc ( al the answers people are trained) I just flat out respond by saying that is a bad answer, I don't want a book answer I want a true weakness that you have that you want to see improvement on.

My favorite is when people adamantly say they have no weaknesses, so my usual follow up is so you have a problem with lying I see... And that usually stumbles them up a bit.
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    Applying (as a joke) to become a 911 dispatcher. It's opened more doors than I ever imagined and made me a confident woman :)
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    3 mistakes all leading into the bigger mistake

1) giving up on my dream of playing college soccer because of a blown ACL
    2) dropping out of college and leaving behind who I believed was my soulmate (he got married 2 weeks ago :sad: )
    3) settling for a guy who ended up being abusive in all ways possible and because of that, resorting to emotional eating! ahhh

Luckily, I have learned so much from all of these experiences. I'd explain but I could write a book!
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    biggest mistake was moving back to hawaii after college. it has been a rough couple of years but now that my time is nearly up i realize that i needed to be here. i experienced a lot of downs in order to improve myself. also, i needed to be here for the people who i love. BUT im almost out of here and im so very very excited and anxious for my next chapter!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    That one night stand...that phone call 30-40 days later from her saying she was pregnant...that beautiful little girl who is now my lovely, beautiful, sweet 17 year old daughter.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Moving to my current city to save my dead marriage.

We ended up divorced anyway.

But I fell in love with the city.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Every mistake I made was the best mistake I made. Because my mistakes are what made me, me.

This i love it and getting pregnant. :)
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Every mistake I made was the best mistake I made. Because my mistakes are what made me, me.

^^^I fully believe in this!!!

And all 3 of my kids were oops. I finally learned what caused that and fixed it. :)