Opinions needed on muscle building while lowering body fat

Options
So im trying to shed the last few lbs of body fat that i have while gain muscle is this possible....ive heard both yes and no.... Im trying to get at least 1g of protein per lean body mass lb and i eat pretty clean...lean meats, protein shakes, eggs, whites, veggies, fruits ect...i try to stay within my calorie goal of 1490 right now to keep loosing lbs but go over often because i do lots of cardio to shed body fat as well.

Ive gained some muscle toning granted its only been a couple months and i realize it takes time to build muscles i just want to be sure im not wasting protein powder taking it when im not going to gain any muscle while trying to shed body fat.

Love your advice guys thanks alot

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i am def not an expert but i think it would be hard to gain muscle on 1490cals.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    just had a nosy at your diary. i'd say you really need to eat more, being a guy. and if you want to gain muscle you need to do some strength training. at the moment you will be burning away both muscle and fat. check out 'starting strength' or 'stronglifts 5x5'.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sorry maybe i forgot to add i strength train every other day..rotate out muscle groups and stay as heavy as possible to keep forum....I do cardio id say 5-6 days a week as well...i have quite a bit of body fat % to drop is my main goal as well

Thats what i figured...just want to see what the general group thinks...often i hit 1700s with a hour or so cardio..If i can just tone while loosing body fat thats alright just want to be sure im not hidering anything. My shoulders, legs and arms have really shaped up from the nothing before but my long term goal is to become ripped...but i want the 10% body fat as well to get abs and great look
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump see what everyone suggests.
  • savageman69
    Options
    bump see what everyone suggests.
    thanks me to :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle = calorie surplus

Losing fat = calorie deficit

Doing both at the same time = impossible unless genetic freak or new to training as the body adjusts.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • savageman69
    Options
    humm well that sucks
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options

Doing both at the same time = impossible unless genetic freak or new to training as the body adjusts.
    I think calorie surplus would be fat Gaining.
    I don't see where extra calories would make you gain muscle.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eating that low isn't just going to result in no muscles gained, it might result in more muscle lost. You also might be doing too much cardio depending on what intensity and duration you are doing. I'd suggest eating slightly below maintenance (like 300 below), continuing to get your protein in, and getting a good solid full body lifting plan like Strong lifts. Maybe keep your cardio low intensity or limit it to 3 or so days a week.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    your cardio is wiping out your muscle gains ... plus the undereating. I would not do cardio on strength days if i wanted to build muscle. Or just continue to cut and build up muscle later, you can get good results cutting/bulking rinse/repeat.

you can also look into "Leangains" but i haven't seen any IRL good results from that yet, though there may be some out there ::shrug::
  • Rae6503
    Options

Where does muscle come from then? It's new tissue. How does your body make new tissue when it doesn't have enough food to maintain the tissue it currently has?

*for those new to lifting, people returning to lifting or people who are obese it *might* make a small amount of muscle from the calories you do eat even while on a deficit....
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try lifting 5-6 days a week and don't be afraid to go heavy! Lift as heavy as you possibly can for each set of about 10. Then do about 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio 4 days a week. Be sure you're eating enough to support muscle growth as well.
    Multiply your goal weight by 10 to arrive at your baseline.

Add between 200 and 500 calories to determine the ideal calorie range that will support the muscle growth.

(So, for example, goal weight of 110 (lbs) X 10 + 200 = 1300 and 110 (lbs) X 10 + 500 = 1600).

On rest days and lighter days (arms, shoulders, abs), eat in the lower range (1,300 calories). On heavier days (chest, legs, back), eat in the higher range (1,600 calories).

Source:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-2-day-43.html
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    Everyone (termed loosely) on here says you can't build muscle while losing fat.

Though I've seen contestants on The Biggest Loser do it all the time, so I believe it is possible.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Everyone (termed loosely) on here says you can't build muscle while losing fat.

Though I've seen contestants on The Biggest Loser do it all the time, so I believe it is possible.

They are obese. It is possible for obese people.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options

^^^^This: additionally, if a person is obese they can build muscle on a calorie deficit by using the couple hundred thousand calories stored around their waste to fuel strength training.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Add between 200 and 500 calories to determine the ideal calorie range that will support the muscle growth.

(So, for example, goal weight of 110 (lbs) X 10 + 200 = 1300 and 110 (lbs) X 10 + 500 = 1600).

On rest days and lighter days (arms, shoulders, abs), eat in the lower range (1,300 calories). On heavier days (chest, legs, back), eat in the higher range (1,600 calories).

Sir Mixalot says: "Ha ha, only if she's 5'3".
  • Rae6503
    Options

Sir Mixalot says: "Ha ha, only if she's 5'3".

LOL. Yeah, OP is a dude with a goal of 170lbs not 110.
  • savageman69
    Options
    Yes im a dude lol... 5 ft 11...right now 180.5...goal set at 170 but i think i need to go lower maybe 160 ish or lower...Right now my bmi is 25.2 and low end of my target bmi is 139 and high end 179. I still have body fat to loose without a doubt.

My bmr is 1850 cals it says....and maintance is 2450....My goal is set to 2lbs a week loss and it has me at 1490 cals a day and some days i go over it some i dont depends on how hungry i am.

Im unsure of my body fat % currently but i intend to buy a new scale this weekend (weight watchers) that does body fat, and weight. Personally i could careless if i didnt loose more weight but i want to loose the body fat...IE man boobs and stomach

Cardio wise i walk and stationary bike...i use the mfp calorie count for how many ive burnt so i know its always high so i dont eat back all the cals to stay on track
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Think about what you are saying. What do you BUILD muscle from? :)