Diet pills??!! ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Options

Replies

• bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I tried pills, and did loose 20 pounds over the course of a year. It was super-hard, and I was hungry most of the time. Your results may vary. I started tracking my weight here, and have lost 27 pounds in 100 days, but have not weighed in about 3 weeks. I fear you are setting yourself up for failure. If you rely on pills, you will put the weight back on once you stop.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I take a diet pill for another health condition not related to losing weight at all.

I can tell you the first week I did lose weight asuming its water weight etc. After the first week I have and continue to have problems with keeping my water intake at a good level and it effects my progress on the scale. I have been on this medication for the last 4 months and have seen progress but am looking into being put on another medication for acne because its very hard to work/keep water levels good when I am on a diet pill and need to pee every 30 mins or so :(

In my experience the medication the doctor has me on is $20 a month and only worth the money since it keeps my adult acne at bay. As for losing weight after 5 lbs of water weight I wouldnt call it anything but a rip off.

Hope this is helpful :) good luck!
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always get flamed for this response, but I found HydroStim works very well for increasing metabolism. It does NOT make you lose weight omg fast, it does not include any of the omg bad drugs. It does have equal to one cup of coffee per pill. I have taken 1 or 2 a day for about 6 months.

I find when I don't take them for long periods the weight loss slows down, but still exists. When I do take them faithfully (WITH good eating, exercise and water), I find it probably increases my weight loss by .5 a week. So this is NOT a miracle pill, however I do find it has helped me when I hit a plateau.

I am a big advocate of MFP, and use it faithfully. I don't think there is one true way to lose weight, so take people advice with a grain of salt (but only if you are under your sodium intake for the day)

My .02 Flame away!
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I suggest making sure you're diligent and completely honest with yourself when tracking your food. Buy a kitchen scale. Do lots of cardio. Exercise to build muscle, having muscle will speed your metabolism. It IS possible to lose that much in a short time the healthy way. If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know what looks much better than a skinny bride? A healthy one.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR RISK YOUR HEALTH WITH DIET PILLS!

Eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions.
    Indulge cravings sensibly.
    Exercise.
    Drink water.
    Be patient.

Exactly!!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ***considering adding butter to my popcorn*****

****share with the rest of us***** :drinker:

skip your alli pills today!
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @BigDaddyBRC

Riddle me this Batman before I started taking those to pills I was working out and eat a low cal diet and nothing was happening and after a month of taking them everyday I have lost almost 15 pounds. Maybe you don't everything !!!!!!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I take Kelp tablets, fish oil tablets & guarana with ginseng. They all help speed up metabolism.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Skip the diet pills. I've done most of them throughout the years and they messed up my thyroid. I now struggle to loose weight, but now loosing it slowly-finally!. I do the calorie cycling (freedieting.com) Where you never eat the same amount of calories a day, tricks your body and it does work.

Site goes by your weight, age, height and how much you exercise a day to recommend the calories sufficient for you.

I agree with most people, vitamin B, water, healthy food, exercise and occasional treats. :-) Don't feel deprived and have gained more energy by doing this myself. Started about 180, down to 160....most of all patients. :-)
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The risk associated with them isn't worth it! You'll want to be healthy and feeling good for your wedding! I'd recommend doing strength training/toning exercises if you want to look a bit sleeker and smaller for the wedding, since that will give quick visable results.
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    Set mfp up to lose 2 pounds a week and follow the plan....no pills needed and, if you're diligent, you'll meet your goal.

I've had mfp set up like this since January and in March I stopped losing, I'm really strict and get loads of exercise, so it's not that easy for us all!

I'm waiting for help from a dietician!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I need to loose weight fast, but I'm having problems with my metabolism and losing weight is taking for ever and I need to lose atleast 15 pnds by August and 20-25pnd by Sept! Why? Because I get married in Sept & get some pictures taken in August for the wedding and I want to b happy and comfortable. So, I'm considering to add Diet pills to help me out! Anyone out there has had quick and good results from any? I need help?! Advice!

Well im gonna edit this since some ppl took it so personal lol!!! Im just very frustrated! I did go to my drs. she recommndd L-Carnitine for my metabolism GNC sells it and to exercise 6 days a week 60 minutes. As I said b4 I'm very frustarated & nervouse. No need to b mean, I don't need sarcasm o BS from anyone just looking for advice. Anyways, thank u to all that have congratulated me and have send me messages xoxo :)
    [/quote

You want to be happy & comfortable? BE YOURSELF. You have enough to worry about getting prepared for a wedding to jeopardize your LONG TERM HEALTH by doing some crash diet.
  • healthybodyhealthymind
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • stephkyp
    stephkyp Posts: 12
    Options
    if you didn't take pills to gain the weight what makes you think taking pills will help you lose the weight???
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    @BigDaddyBRC

Riddle me this Batman before I started taking those to pills I was working out and eat a low cal diet and nothing was happening and after a month of taking them everyday I have lost almost 15 pounds. Maybe you don't everything !!!!!!!!

Probably because you are starving yourself. People in Ethopia are the same way. The only difference is, they dont have access to the food. When you hit starvation mode, become dizzy, faint, and in up in the ER, you may want to drop the prego pee pills. The FDA has ruled against them for your safety.
  • HeidiJ810
    HeidiJ810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't take diet pills. Most of them are just packed with caffeine. There are a lot of natural supplements and vitamins that can help you IN ADDITION TO DIET AND EXCERCISE. I have just started taking chromium which helps control blood sugar levels (don't take this if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic) and a super B complex which are vitamins to help give you energy. Here are some foods that might help you too:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/15-foods-to-help-you-lose?page=3

And by the way- To all of you people that are jumping all over someone for asking a question, get a life! We all have similar goals, so why not help and support each other!!!
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bath salts!
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    NO Diet Pills! They are dangerous!!!! Your doctors recommendations are SPOT ON! L-Carnatine is GREAT I use it when I workout first thing in the morning (on an empty stomach). There is NO way to lose weight fast. I've been on MFP for over a month and I can SEE a difference in my body, I'm still a size 16 but I'm a TIGHTER size 16. It takes time and patience. You MUST eat clean. No processed foods, only Healthy Good carbs. Portion control is key.

I'm sure I'm repeating everything everyone has already said. You want to do this the right way. Work your butt off, eat clean, exercise and you WILL see a difference by your wedding. Get OFF the scale, that doesn't tell you anything when you first start. You will only get more discouraged.

I hope we have all steered you clear of using diet pills.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Be very, very careful taking diet pills. I would personally ask your doctor and only follow her suggestions. For example: If your metabolic issues are caused by your thyroid, you can SERIOUSLY mess yourself up by taking diet pills (speaking from experience here). And some supplements will interact with diet pills very badly. If you're taking the supplement your doctor advised, don't add anything to that without consulting her first. 15 pounds is doable with what she's advised. Follow it, and try to let go of your stress. Stress can hinder weight loss.

I got married last year. I didn't end up at my goal weight (and have since gained a few pounds back, grrr). I had a dress that was adjustable, so I just didn't wear it quite as tight as I could have otherwise. I still had a wonderful day, and the pictures turned out great. Enjoy your day. =)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Please dont do it, they dont work out in the long term, I know its hard, I understand what its like I got married three years ago and it was so annoying, It was hard work and I lost 2 stones all on my own without pills, just keep on and you be fine xx