Missing Pasta know of any replacements

Options
1235»

Replies

• AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is good, but the only resemblance to real pasta is the name. I just tried it recently and while I did like it, and will eat it again...I don't think it's a substitute for pasta, completely different.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lame i know but i saw on dr oz yesterday its a pretty honest portion of spegetti to measure making the a-okay hand sign (thumb overlapping your index nail) and stick the dry pasta in there. Theres no reason to drop pasta bc then ur like me and lose your mind bc u ban urself from something and eventually snap bc u want it. A few days ago i made Linguine with braised kale sausage and garlic......delicious. very very little oil to brown sausage and no sauces...ur braised liquid for the kale is reduced sodium chicken broth. It was without a doubt delicious and i did not feel badly at ALL!!! heres the receipe for those who'd like to try..

6 oz Linguine (or healthier pasta of ur choosing)
    1 tsp olive oil
    6 oz of sweet italian sausage(casings removed)
    6 cups chopped fresh kale
    4 cloves of garlic,minced
    1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 plum tomatos,seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup fresh basil,sliced
    2 tsp grated parm and red pepper flakes(optional)

servings (4)
    294 calories
    17 g protein
    45 g carbs
    4 g fiber
    6.5 g fat
    2 g sat fat
    415 mg sodium
  • kaylasue_mustlose
    Options
    Lots of misinformation on here about Atkins!

Atkins is NOT a no carb plan, Atkins recommends eating all sorts of veggies and lettuce even on induction, and then you can add other "good carbs" later on.

For the record, I have been low carbing for years now and I do not gain weight when I go off plan any faster than I did after doing weight watchers. Whenever you start eating unhealthy you will quickly gain water weight, it doesn't matter what method you were using to lose weight. It then comes off quickly when you start eating on plan again.

To the OP, I love cutting up zucchini in very thins strips like spaghetti and then I fry it in olive oil. When cooked, top with parm cheese and low carb spaghetti sauce. Very tasty, low carb and low calorie.

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/three_popular_diets.htm

This is an official medical study about the cardiac issues of living on the Atkins plan.
  • nahzimani
    nahzimani Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat quinoa as a replacement and then use homemade sauce since it has less sugar and crap in it. Also brown rice is yummy. I think the key is WHOLE foods, because carbs are your friend if you're into working out. This is going to sound crazy but bear with me, if you look into vegan, raw recipe books they have all sorts of substitutes for pasta since the food can't be cooked over a certain temperature. I'm a vegan, but I don't really eat raw and I was curious so I checked out a book at the library. The recipe book ("Rawesomely Vegan") had pasta recipes that were really creative! I'm still not a raw cook, but some of that stuff is super tasty (and really healthy)!!!
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lots of misinformation on here about Atkins!

Atkins is NOT a no carb plan, Atkins recommends eating all sorts of veggies and lettuce even on induction, and then you can add other "good carbs" later on.

For the record, I have been low carbing for years now and I do not gain weight when I go off plan any faster than I did after doing weight watchers. Whenever you start eating unhealthy you will quickly gain water weight, it doesn't matter what method you were using to lose weight. It then comes off quickly when you start eating on plan again.

To the OP, I love cutting up zucchini in very thins strips like spaghetti and then I fry it in olive oil. When cooked, top with parm cheese and low carb spaghetti sauce. Very tasty, low carb and low calorie.

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/three_popular_diets.htm

This is an official medical study about the cardiac issues of living on the Atkins plan.

I won't get into a debate about low carbing or study you cited to, but my I have pretty much been following Atkins for over five years and I am super fit and healthy based on my bloodwork and other heart test results. Read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat" for a good explanation of the benefits of limiting certain carbs. Also, my uncle is a doctor and he follows Atkins too. He said all of the new studies suggest Atkins was right all along. Too bad he died before he could get proper credit!