Bad mom......

Options
123457»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Is it really that unusual to not have a tv?

Not sure if its unusual. I have heard a lot of people that gave up tv and dont mind. I like the tv because I learn a lot from it. I dont watch reality shows....I like documentaries, history programs and nature shows. I dont have Netfilx...not in the budget. But you cant miss what you never had. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a tv, you might as well just shoot me. I have to stick them in front of it to get anything done! Dinner would never be made and the laundry would never be done if Spongebob wasn't there to entertain them for an hour.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, I really need the Power Rangers to keep my son's attention for 30 minutes so I can fix breakfast/dinner without tripping over him! He likes to pretend to save the world with them lol

TV isn't evil, y'all. Sure, there's a lot of crap on TV, and I'm guilty of watching some of it myself. I was always allowed to watch tv since I can remember. My parents were also very involved, took me places, got me involved in things outside the house, read to me, and all of that. I'm now a well adjusted and well educated adult woman. TV didn't make me unimaginative or uneducated, or lazy for that matter. My son is bright, imaginative, extremely social and funny, and enjoys being active. None of that is going to change if I let him watch Spongebob in the mornings while I'm getting ready for work, or if we sit and watch Spiderman one night together instead of reading a book. Tv vs no TV--it's irrelevant as long as you're doing your job as a parent.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Haha! Just had a coworker tell me that I was neglecting my kids because I don't have a TV in the house. Apparently she thinks that in order for my children to be well informed they HAVE to watch TV.

I was speechless.

Is it really that unusual to not have a tv?

I salute you for it! No tv allows for more family time in my opinion. When my children were small, we had a game night at least once a week where no tv was allowed those nights. My kids loved it. Now I cannot wait for the grandkids to start the tradition with the next generation.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I see these comments about having a tv to keep your child's attention so you can do laundry, clean, dinner whatever...I am not judging...but I raised 4 children and they helped me do these things. We always made a game of it and they loved it. As they got older, they learned how to do it (and no I did not teach them so they could do it for me) so when they are living on their own they know how. My mom raised 6 kids doing the same thing. Just a suggestion but how about allowing them to help some. I know they cannot help with everything but maybe the little things.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I see these comments about having a tv to keep your child's attention so you can do laundry, clean, dinner whatever...I am not judging...but I raised 4 children and they helped me do these things. We always made a game of it and they loved it. As they got older, they learned how to do it (and no I did not teach them so they could do it for me) so when they are living on their own they know how. My mom raised 6 kids doing the same thing. Just a suggestion but how about allowing them to help some. I know they cannot help with everything but maybe the little things.

I have my son help with the things he can help with. But he's 5, so he can't really do the laundry (aside from putting his clothes away, which he does) nor can he cook dinner. We did the same thing growing up, we helped around the house as we got old enough, but we were also allowed to watch TV whenever we wanted, too, provided our chores/homework had been done. We often chose a book or something over watching TV, but it's never been "off limits" per se. I think it's all about balance and being mindful of what your children are watching.
  • SGRhapsodos
    Options
    Unfortunately tv has become a very important part of our society. Everything that kids like from toys to video games is tied to their favorite shows and characters. I'm not against not owning a tv and your coworker should respect your decision and NEVER call you a bad parent. Your parenting is none of her business. My in laws have chosen not to have a tv and i respect them. I would NEVER call them bad parents. I think you have every right to not have a tv in your house. The only thing I'd be worried about is if the kids might feel a little out of place because they can't discuss their favorite tv show or video game with friends. There's always options like limiting tv time or letting them watch tv on weekends or letting them watch it only at a friend's house. I personally chose to introduce tv to my child because his speech as very delayed. I have to say that educational shows like Mickey really helped him talk.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I could probably live without my TV. I basically only watch the Food Netwoork and the Soccer Channel. The only other reason I have a TV is so I don't have to talk to people when they come over.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have my son help with the things he can help with. But he's 5, so he can't really do the laundry (aside from putting his clothes away, which he does) nor can he cook dinner. We did the same thing growing up, we helped around the house as we got old enough, but we were also allowed to watch TV whenever we wanted, too, provided our chores/homework had been done. We often chose a book or something over watching TV, but it's never been "off limits" per se. I think it's all about balance and being mindful of what your children are watching.

When my daughter was 5, she could cook. Teach him. You'd be surprised. Obviously, he couldn't do a whole meal, but he can certainly help.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It might be unusual, but it won't be bad for your kids. We had a TV, but my kids didn't have that as a sole activity. They played, invented and had fun!
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    it wont be bad for your kids....i barely watched tv as a child, instead i used my imagination and drew pictures , made up games, dressed up, went outside.
    I have ended up a lot more well rounded than my sister who was born 10 years later than me and sat staring at a tv/ computer screen all day everyday.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

When my daughter was 5, she could cook. Teach him. You'd be surprised. Obviously, he couldn't do a whole meal, but he can certainly h
    help.

My 20 month old helps unload the dishwasher. My 3 year old folds facecloths and sorts socks. Loves to cut up bananas with a butter knife and putting ingredients in the bowl when I bake. Gave him a spray bottle of water and a rag, and he and the younger one washed under the table, cupboard doors, bathroom floor.

They are at the age of wanting to help, so I let them. And a few times a week they get to watch a 40 minute dvd, but it's a treat.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

When my daughter was 5, she could cook. Teach him. You'd be surprised. Obviously, he couldn't do a whole meal, but he can certainly h
    help.

My 20 month old helps unload the dishwasher. My 3 year old folds facecloths and sorts socks. Loves to cut up bananas with a butter knife and putting ingredients in the bowl when I bake. Gave him a spray bottle of water and a rag, and he and the younger one washed under the table, cupboard doors, bathroom floor.

They are at the age of wanting to help, so I let them. And a few times a week they get to watch a 40 minute dvd, but it's a treat.

Like I said, my 5 year old helps with what he can. The way I cook, he is rarely able to help, but when there is something he can do, I have him help me. Most of the time I'm trying to do 100 things at once, so he is more in the way than helpful in the kitchen. Having him help with laundry and cooking means it takes about twice as long to get done---and I don't have that kind of time during the week. On the weekends, no problem, he even has a chore list he has to complete to earn his allowance, but Monday-Friday---well, I need to be able to get things done in a hurry and if Power Rangers for 30 minutes can help that happen, I'm fine with it.

Obviously everyone responding to this thread is doing what they feel is best for their children. I don't think a little TV is a big deal. I don't think not having a TV is a big deal either. What works for your family might not work for mine, but that's totally okay, because at the end of the day we all want the same thing: happy, healthy, smart kids. There is not one golden way to be a good parent.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Obviously everyone responding to this thread is doing what they feel is best for their children. I don't think a little TV is a big deal. I don't think not having a TV is a big deal either. What works for your family might not work for mine, but that's totally okay, because at the end of the day we all want the same thing: happy, healthy, smart kids. There is not one golden way to be a good parent.

Well said Mer! :drinker:
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options

help.

This is very Montessori. :-) It makes for independent, community-minded, and self-motivated children. Cheers to you!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

When my daughter was 5, she could cook. Teach him. You'd be surprised. Obviously, he couldn't do a whole meal, but he can certainly help.

My 5 yr old also helps me cook. he mainly just stirs things and such but its still helping. TV isn't off limits in this house. Normally my kids choose to do something else though.