diet cola

Options
arghhhh ever since starting my weight loss journey last year im addicted to diet cola !!! i can go through 4 cans a day! today ive already had one can and will have one tonight gonna try and just have 2! anyone else drink it quite alot? i need to wean my self off it lol !!!

Replies

• HellsBells61
    Options
    Have you tried fizzy water instead? Just as thirst quenching (if not more so) and you get the same filling-up sensation as drinking diet coke.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    its fine, im sitting here drinking my fanta zero. CHEERS
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You should just try to gradually reduce how much diet soda you're drinking daily. Definitely try fizzy flavor water, too! I love soda and fizzy water is a great alternative.
  • livbellamybrown
    Options
    Diet coke is a no no for me... I gave up drinking it entirely and switched to fizzy water and then last week i had cravings so gave in and had about 2 litres in 3 days... my diet nosedived and wanted to eat sweet things all the time... back on the fizzy water and the weight is coming off again AND i don't feel the need to steal candy from kids anymore!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    its down to choice , i drink it all the time ive now lost 5st 7 pounds so it does my diet no harm.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about a 2 liter of diet coke a day. Now I'm down to a 12oz (occasionally a 20oz, if we are out of cans at home) each morning. I started by making myself drink half a nalgene (a liter bottle) before I could satisfy my diet coke craving. Usually, by the time I was done with the water, I had forgotten about my craving or was too full to drink it. It reallllly helped reduce how many I drink.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I also notice sugar cravings when i drink diet drinks, so I try to make them a treat for special occasions.

More formally, the CDC has a study out that implicates diet drinks as a cause of weight-gain. Additionally, a large study was done on rats by Purdue University that seems to show that diet drinks alter the ability to predict caloric consequence.

Purdue study here:

http://http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    They replace the fats in normal coke with sugars, which are more addictive.

I'm desperate to stop drinking fizzy pop (may switch to fizzy water!), but by the time I've drank my 2.5 litres of plain water throughout the day, its a treat to have a diet coke on an evening :/
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    They replace the fats in normal coke with sugars, which are more addictive.

I'm desperate to stop drinking fizzy pop (may switch to fizzy water!), but by the time I've drank my 2.5 litres of plain water throughout the day, its a treat to have a diet coke on an evening :/

There is no fat in regular soda.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6-7 cans of diet coke a day and was constantly thirsty, could just never quenched it, I now drink only water or diluting squash I feel much better I quench my thirst and no nasty chemicals!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is no hard evidence that its bad. it isnt really good either. I would suggest cutting it out just to see if you feel better. you might, or you might not. I cut it out and feel great but I probably feel great because I eat what I consider "clean" about 90% of my calories.
  • noregretsnikki
    noregretsnikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This the only vice I'm keeping! But in moderation. 2-3 cans a day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    This the only vice I'm keeping! But in moderation. 2-3 cans a day.

so,,,,as many as 21 cans a week. Interesting interpretation of moderation.:wink:
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I also notice sugar cravings when i drink diet drinks, so I try to make them a treat for special occasions.

More formally, the CDC has a study out that implicates diet drinks as a cause of weight-gain Additionally, a large study was done on rats by Purdue University that seems to show that diet drinks alter the ability to predict caloric consequence.

Purdue study here:

http://http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n7/full/0802660a.html

Glad I'm not a rat.
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I drink it. I don't apologize for it. I like the taste. It's a choice here. I don't think soda is the reason for my plateau, as I've managed to lose 60+ pounds without changing my diet soda intake. I try not to drink more than two a day, but I've given up most sweets and chips with dip and smoking so diet coke is the last addiction I am feeding. I don't have sugar substitute sensitivites, and I tend to crave salty snacks instead of sweet ones when I'm drinking one. I indulge in lowfat cottage cheese. :wink:

Enjoy it if you choose!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    arghhhh ever since starting my weight loss journey last year im addicted to diet cola !!! i can go through 4 cans a day! today ive already had one can and will have one tonight gonna try and just have 2! anyone else drink it quite alot? i need to wean my self off it lol !!!
    You don't have to stop drinking it. If it keeps you in check by satisfying your sweet tooth daily and helps to keep your calories in check, then it's fine. I personally drink at least 2 a day. There's lots of ANECDOTAL evidence of how bad it is for you, but actual medical science hasn't shown that a couple a day are going to "poison" you like many of the "health gurus" on here will tout.
    And before the lashing comes out from the haters, there is aspartic acid in all fruits in vegetables and phenylalaine is in meats and breast milk (these are the 2 main ingredients in aspartame). If those 2 ingredients are "poison" then stop eating meat and fruit and vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i practically live on diet dr pepper i keep one with me all day long at work fizzy water sucks it tastes like alka seltzer :sick:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Oh please.

Driving is linked to car accidents. Injury is linked to exercising and playing sports. There's a difference in actual correlation and causation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    I drink it. I don't apologize for it. I like the taste. It's a choice here. I don't think soda is the reason for my plateau, as I've managed to lose 60+ pounds without changing my diet soda intake. I try not to drink more than two a day, but I've given up most sweets and chips with dip and smoking so diet coke is the last addiction I am feeding. I don't have sugar substitute sensitivites, and I tend to crave salty snacks instead of sweet ones when I'm drinking one. I indulge in lowfat cottage cheese. :wink:

Enjoy it if you choose!

agreed. before i decided to make a change i was gulping mello yello like there was no tomorrow. i probably could have continued to eat "my way" and just cut the mello yello. BUT i switched to diet soda, and i rotate the different kinds. i find that if i'm craving sweets, a diet orange soda, or diet coke cherry (super sweet) really helps me out. i drink about 2 a day, and it's my go to when i'm out at a resturant. because if i didn't have that, i'd have several glasses of sweet tea, which is a huge waste of calories. i have NOT had a mello yello in 3 1/2 months, and i really think diet drinks are keeping me from blowing it. i can open the frig door at a gas station and grab a diet right beside the mello yello without feeling sad!

gotta have one vice or two, i refuse to restrict everything good and delishious and sweet from my diet forever. i'd be miserable. dieting is punishment enough. lol!!