diet cola

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    They replace the fats in normal coke with sugars, which are more addictive.

63521392b.jpg
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ hahahaha
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

hahahaha
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to drink it!! I personally don't think it should be sold!!! I'm no Puritan, I promise (I like my wine or cider) but besides the health problems associated with soda I also worked in a dental office for years and saw up close what it did to peoples teeth!! If you think that our teeth are the hardest substance in our body and it eats it away, just think what it does to your stomach and your body!!! I say NO THANKS,!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    arghhhh ever since starting my weight loss journey last year im addicted to diet cola !!! i can go through 4 cans a day! today ive already had one can and will have one tonight gonna try and just have 2! anyone else drink it quite alot? i need to wean my self off it lol !!!
    You don't have to stop drinking it. If it keeps you in check by satisfying your sweet tooth daily and helps to keep your calories in check, then it's fine. I personally drink at least 2 a day. There's lots of ANECDOTAL evidence of how bad it is for you, but actual medical science hasn't shown that a couple a day are going to "poison" you like many of the "health gurus" on here will tout.
    And before the lashing comes out from the haters, there is aspartic acid in all fruits in vegetables and phenylalaine is in meats and breast milk (these are the 2 main ingredients in aspartame). If those 2 ingredients are "poison" then stop eating meat and fruit and vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    This. I've actually done the math, there is as much "aspartame" (Aspartic acid + phenylalanine) in 4 oz of chicken breast as there is in 25 cans of diet soda. So anytime you eat chicken breast, you're consuming the equivalent of 25 cans of diet soda, every time. Critical thinking.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Oh please.

Driving is linked to car accidents. Injury is linked to exercising and playing sports. There's a difference in actual correlation and causation.

IDEA Fitness member
    piratesarecool.jpg
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine to drink. If you don't want to drink it or don't like it, then drop it but dropping it is not required to live a healthy lifestyle.
  • doorki
    Options
    Oh please.

Driving is linked to car accidents. Injury is linked to exercising and playing sports. There's a difference in actual correlation and causation.

IDEA Fitness member
    piratesarecool.jpg

Screw Polar Bears, SAVE THE PIRATES!!!!
  • tigersword
    Options
    I hear that water is good for ya...lol
    Too much water is fatal. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to drink it!! I personally don't think it should be sold!!! I'm no Puritan, I promise (I like my wine or cider) but besides the health problems associated with soda I also worked in a dental office for years and saw up close what it did to peoples teeth!! If you think that our teeth are the hardest substance in our body and it eats it away, just think what it does to your stomach and your body!!! I say NO THANKS,!
    Your stomach is way more acidic than soda. Your mouth is not. Vomiting up stomach bile causes hell on your teeth, also but it's perfectly fine in your stomach.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I'm desperate to stop drinking fizzy pop (may switch to fizzy water!), but by the time I've drank my 2.5 litres of plain water throughout the day, its a treat to have a diet coke on an evening :/

You didn't have your coffee yet, did you?
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you think that our teeth are the hardest substance in our body and it eats it away, just think what it does to your stomach and your body!!! I say NO THANKS,!

Ummmm.... stomach acid is in your stomach, and it is much, much more acidic than soda (or pop as us Minnesotans call it). Yes, the acid in pop errodes the teeth, but don't extrapolate that into something its not.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    If you think that our teeth are the hardest substance in our body and it eats it away, just think what it does to your stomach and your body!!! I say NO THANKS,!

Ummmm.... stomach acid is in your stomach, and it is much, much more acidic than soda (or pop as us Minnesotans call it). Yes, the acid in pop errodes the teeth, but don't extrapolate that into something its not.

Yes, gastric acid has a pH of between 1 and 3. Not an issue.

However, I also shudder to think what diet soda does to our kidneys.
  • doorki
    Options

Yes, gastric acid has a pH of between 1 and 3. Not an issue.

However, I also shudder to think what diet soda does to our kidneys.

From what I have read, the damage caused from over consumption of diet soda comes from caffeine. Do you also shudder while having your morning coffee or tea?
  • rfp67
    rfp67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is my cola of choice! I would drink it all day if I could, but I can tell it causes me to retain much more water than usual. I have tried to stay with only one per day, but now that I have cut back....some days I don't have it and hardly miss it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

From what I have read, the damage caused from over consumption of diet soda comes from caffeine.

o god. total nonsense. but...no offense
  • kcoyle220
    kcoyle220 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love it! I would say I am addicted!
  • doorki
    Options

From what I have read, the damage caused from over consumption of diet soda comes from caffeine.

o god. total nonsense. but...no offense

I enjoyed your insightful and knowledgeable response.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The worst part about soda is the sodium.
    When you drink too much soda over a long period of time, you produce more acid and this can damage your esophagus. This can potentially do irreparable harm if this continues for a long time.
    The artificial sweeteners are most likely not good for you, but their effects haven't been proven and their is not a consensus among the scientific community about whether it's detrimental.
    As for the caffeine, too much isn't good and it could be one of the reasons you're addicted to the soda. Maybe try to have one caffeinated and one non-caffeinated per day.
    The carbonation probably isn't good for your body. I don't know as much about this, but I would bet that, similar to artificial sweeteners, there isn't a consensus as to the detrimental effects of carbonation.

Because too much of anything isn't good, I'd recommend trying to cut down to one or two per day and then maybe trying to cut it out except on "special" occasions (going out to dinner, going to a movie, etc...)
  • tigersword
    Options
    Sodium? There's hardly any sodium in soda, about the same as regular drinking water.