Who here is from the south?

Options

Replies

• couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I live in OK for four years and my boyfriend is a native Oklahoman and I never once heard someone say pop....

I've been in this God-forsaken city and state since 2002, and one time at the store I accidentally said "pop". I almost literally dropped to my knees to beg God's forgiveness for such blasphemy. :laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    OMG it's so funny when we go visit my family up north and my husband asks for sweet tea in a restaurant, and the waitress just gives him this blank dumbfounded look! And then proceeds to bring him a pot of hot tea, and a glass of ice!
    Um exactly where "up north" are you visiting? I live in Massachusetts and I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that doesn't serve iced tea. They may not have it pre-sweetened but they will bring you sweetener for it.

Sweet Tea is sweetened while it is being brewed. Adding any sweetner after the fact, is not a true "sweet tea"

BINGO!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Kentucky was a Union state.
    NC and VA were Confederate states.

I think this says it all.

#WolfBlood
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    ♪ Sweet Home Alabama.... ♫ :happy:

UAB grad?
  • couponfun
    Options

#WolfBlood

I'd recognize Kentucky before I recognize the illegal state of West Virginia :huh:
  • chelelynn1972
    chelelynn1972 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tennessee here. Go VOLS!
  • steamyhott
    steamyhott Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im sure I overlooked it...but what state are you from....Are you a southerner
    By south I mean TX, LA, AR, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, and FL. Just curious if we have any southerners on here...
  • SherryGbaby
    Options
    From Louisiana but now living in Texas
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Jacksonville,Fla. Home of Southern Rock!
  • couponfun
    Options
    Jacksonville,Fla. Home of Southern Rock!

Ah, also the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party!! Love love the FL/GA game :laugh:
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida but live in Utah for the past 2 years. Florida can be southern or not, depends where you are at. If you are around people that are born and raised and generational Florida then they are southern. If they are displaced from the north and retired or displaced from Hispanic areas, or raised by non Floridians then you get the non-southern affect. My grandmother and uncle live in an area in the Northwest by the gulf. One town is called Cross City because there are soooo many Southern Baptist churches there. The farther south and east you go the less "southern" it is.
    NC girl here and southern all the way :)
    Lived in Tennessee for a little over a year (BTW they did NOT have sweet tea at most places), and moved back to NC.

What??? No sweet tea? :noway:

OMG it's so funny when we go visit my family up north and my husband asks for sweet tea in a restaurant, and the waitress just gives him this blank dumbfounded look! And then proceeds to bring him a pot of hot tea, and a glass of ice!

LOL we had this same kind of situation when we first moved to Utah. We were in Applebees and asked them if they had sweet tea for the kids. She said yes. She brings them tea. They drink tea. Ewww whats wrong with this tea. It was RASPBERRY tea. We talk to waitress, she says "Oh there's some sugar packets right there" WHAT?!!!!?
    Um exactly where "up north" are you visiting? I live in Massachusetts and I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that doesn't serve iced tea. They may not have it pre-sweetened but they will bring you sweetener for it.

Nope nope nope. Sweet tea is not iced tea with sugar added. It is tea brewed and sugar added while hot to dissolve and then chilled with ice afterwards. Big difference. Sugar does NOT dissolve well when liquid is already cold.
    Sweet Tea is sweetened while it is being brewed. Adding any sweetner after the fact, is not a true "sweet tea"

Ding ding ding.

We have gotten used to it now but the first few times we went to fast food or restaurants out here in Utah the kids would ask for sweet tea. The people would be like "HUH?!?" Partially a mix of confusion because Mormons aren't aloud to drink tea at all so don't know much about it. But they always say we have iced tea and there are some sugar packets. No thanks just doesn't work that way. At least we have Chick-fil-a, that's about the only place we can get it out here, unless I make it myself.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Georgia girl here. :)
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Born in TN and grew up there but been living in Phoenix since 1997....
  • daveclrk58
    daveclrk58 Posts: 258
    Options

#WolfBlood

Kentucky was a neutral state because of its location. Both Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln were born in Kentucky. How much more divided can you be? Kentucky is southern because of its culture. Plantation style houses, horse farms, bourbon, and fried chicken. Throw in a little BBQ mutton from here in Owensboro and you aren't gonna get much more Southern than that!!!

Go CATS!!!!
  • Reaper049
    Reaper049 Posts: 32
    Options
    Well I am from South Africa if that counts... :tongue: Its actually right at the bottom of the map :smile:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Mom was born in Cuba, then moved to New Orleans, Louisiana (LEGALLY) when she was 2 years old. Grew up with the rest of her sisters (my aunts) there. She had visited California a few times, where she met my dad. She moved here when she was 19 to live with my dad.

I may not be southern, but my family has some really southern tendencies.

My uncle and my aunt still live in N'awlins. And my grandma makes great Cajin/Cuban fusions. Visit my cousins down south whenever I can. Love it there.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Forney TX!!
  • blueyednurse06
    Options
    TENNESSEE!!! Go Vols! Home of sweet tea, and gravy biscuits.. YUM
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    ♪ Sweet Home Alabama.... ♫ :happy:

UAB grad?