Calling all Naturalistas and Long Hair Divas!!!

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
Just curious if there are any naturalistas on MFP? or anyone growing out their hair while on this healthy/weightloss journey ? I've noticed ppl trying to take care of their hair must change their eating habits and lifestyles as well, and usually leads to weight loss and fitness. Any support groups on MFP for such ladies? Anyone interested?

Replies

• Curvimami
    Options
    No Curlies or wavies at all??
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Me. But I'm browsing while homeschooling the kids. Saving my place for later.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm a wavy/curly!

I'm currently about an inch away from armpit, growing out to tailbone (at least). :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Tailbone!! I love it. Im aiming for waist length. DO you know if there are any groups on MFP??
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Me. I have been natural for a couple of years now after relaxing my hair literally since I was 2. Trying to figure out how to manage my hair better now... :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    So they do exist!!! on MFP.lol
  • emirror
    Options
    Tailbone!! I love it. Im aiming for waist length. DO you know if there are any groups on MFP??

I haven't seen any... This might become it! ;)

I've been doing a modified curly girl method. Basically, low-poo, heavy on the conditioner, don't blowdry (much), don't flatiron (except maybe once or twice a year), search and destroy for split ends, go for a professional trim once a year. I love the Shea Moisture products, but I use Suave Rosemary and Mint shampoo about once a week to clarify, and VO5 conditioners (no cones).
  • emirror
    Options
    Ah! Going over to the "groups" section, I didn't pull anything up for long hair... although there is a natural hair one.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I changed my profile pic back to the one showing my hair.
    I've tried no-poo (baking soda/vinegar), and I've tried making my own shampoo with Dr. Bronner's, sweet almond oil, and coconut milk. But neither of those worked well for me, so I just try to stick with a sorta natural commercial product (Desert Essence is my fave), rub sweet almond oil through my hair to cut down on frizz, and let dry naturally.
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i've gone from very sleek, straight and extremely short graduated bob (chin length!) to this..
    <
    oh yeaahhhhh :)
  • emirror
    Options
    Yay! More longhairs! :-)
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My hair is about 1 to 2 inches shy of halfway down my back... Not really curly at all... Maybe a little wavy though... :-) I wouldn't look good with really short hair...
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Mine was past my butt, but I had 14" cut off and donated. I was tired of sitting on it.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Mine was past my butt, but I had 14" cut off and donated. I was tired of sitting on it.

Oh wow 14" cut!!! how generous of you :flowerforyou:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I changed my profile pic back to the one showing my hair.
    I've tried no-poo (baking soda/vinegar), and I've tried making my own shampoo with Dr. Bronner's, sweet almond oil, and coconut milk. But neither of those worked well for me, so I just try to stick with a sorta natural commercial product (Desert Essence is my fave), rub sweet almond oil through my hair to cut down on frizz, and let dry naturally.

A true "curly girl" I see.lol. Your hair is beautiful :-).
    Im No Poo myself. Love Shea Moisture and Coconut Oil. I use Elast QP "Feels like Silk" gel to control the curl and tame the frizz :happy:
  • Curvimami
    Options

I haven't seen any... This might become it! ;)

I've been doing a modified curly girl method. Basically, low-poo, heavy on the conditioner, don't blowdry (much), don't flatiron (except maybe once or twice a year), search and destroy for split ends, go for a professional trim once a year. I love the Shea Moisture products, but I use Suave Rosemary and Mint shampoo about once a week to clarify, and VO5 conditioners (no cones).

A true "curly girl" I love Shea moisture as well and am also aiming for waist length. I also only get my hair straightened and trimmed once a year and usually on the same day , My Bday.lol. my special treat to myself
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Me. I have been natural for a couple of years now after relaxing my hair literally since I was 2. Trying to figure out how to manage my hair better now... :)

i've been trying to find a group with curlies wavies and the long hair obsessed with no luck. Would love for support and advice from this group of women
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Natural curly- I've got ringlets. :)
    I'm cutting it short though- my hair is incredibly thick and curly and it feels like a brillo pad on my neck. Not to mention, Florida summers plus long thick hair equals "ew".
    I'm getting a "diva cut" later this month to tailor it specifically to my curls and to my face.
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If there isn't a group, I'd love to see one started. I've been natural (no more relaxer) for over 6 years but I always got it straightened. Now I'm trying to keep the heat out and see if I can wear my hair wavy (my hair isn't that curly naturally). I still need to figure out products, etc. I also start swim lessons tomorrow and have ZERO clue what the outcome of my hair will be. If you start a group please invite me. Thanks!!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My hair was to my waist 3 different times before I started losing weight. I was alternating between cutting it and donating to Locks of Love and Pantene's Beautiful Lengths programs, but sadly, my hair started to fall out by the handfuls and clumps when I lost about 40-50 lbs. It's not growing back and I nearly burst into tears when I put it in a ponytail now. My ponytail was so thick on my hair donations that they had to cut through it in 3 sections and my 13" ponytail donations each weighed over 1/2 lb. when mailed (hair weight minus packing and envelope weight too), now, it's barely the size of a quarter in circumference. I'm taking a ton of biotin and went through many weeks of metabolic testing with no answer. I miss my long beautiful hair. It was stick straight at the roots until about my shoulder blades, then it fell in these golden twisting curls far enough down my back that I could tuck it into the back pocket of my jeans. All of you that still have your hair are so lucky!!!!