Calling all Naturalistas and Long Hair Divas!!!

Options

Replies

• LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Baby natural over here. I think I may have the tightest curls on the planet lol. The worst part is that it's not just super curly, it's also very thick, very dark, and very dry. I shampoo once a month and use conditioner and sometimes apple cider vinegar otherwise.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    past my shoulder blades in lenght, thin and yucky though but i had 2 cancers and went bald for so long so now I am refusing to cut my hair. I want it LONG, just wished it was thicker :(...........I never use anything on my hair to color or perm or blow dry, just wash and go type of girl....I want thicker hair though!!!!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've worn my hair to my waist or longer for most of my life. Stopped coloring it about 4 years ago. :bigsmile:

Edit to say that it is mildly wavy, but the length pulls it very straight.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I decided to go natural at the start of this year so its been 6 months since ive had a relaxer. I love the texture of my hair and i've been experimenting with new styles, any ideas!?

Im going to a natural hair expo this weekend and I'll share anything I learn:happy:

A natural hair expo!!?? that sounds exciting!!! Im pretty simple, I stick to wash n go's and keep it moving.lol. But I also love twists, and twist outs, they stretch styles forever
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    last summer I cut off 18 inches for the 5th remembrance of my brothers passing.
    I have only used the generic form of the WEN (bought from Sally beauty supply ) on it for a year..
    Im happy to say it has gone from about an inch and 1/2 long ( I really chopped it) to past my shoulders.

Ive tried the sally"s brand of WEN it worked fine, I think I was just addicted to the WEN infomercials.lol. And only use WEN if I get it as a gift

bwahahahwhaaa... I watch them EVERY TIME they come on... that darn Alyssa Milano is just too darn cute... and i remember growing up watching her on WHOZ THE BOSS..... so I end up sitting there zoned out on the whole commercial and on how everyone hair turns out so spectacular... makes me wanna run to the shower and make mine pretty too...needless to say mine looks NOTHING like theirs when im done but it is super soft and shiny and grows like crazy.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    past my shoulder blades in lenght, thin and yucky though but i had 2 cancers and went bald for so long so now I am refusing to cut my hair. I want it LONG, just wished it was thicker :(...........I never use anything on my hair to color or perm or blow dry, just wash and go type of girl....I want thicker hair though!!!!

Im so glad to hear that you are still with us and that you've have beat ur cancers. There are so many myths and remedies out there for hair thickening. Castor oil is one I can think of and Henna is another (all natural Henna) no of those fake henna's out there
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I had to look up "naturalista" so I probably don't fit the bill but my hair is down to the bottom of my butt (dry) and to the back of my knees (wet). I use Tresamme Damaged for both shampoo and conditioner every other day and once a week Dove deep (leave-in) conditioner or as needed for tangles. I don't blow dry or use styling products in my hair. Once in a great while I'll flat-iron it or curl it for special occasions. Once a year (usually just as summer begins), I'll have it trimmed. The last time I went to the salon, the girl said I had the healthiest hair she had ever seen for someone with such long hair.

I haven't taken pictures of it in a couple of years but here are some really awful ones from a few years ago.

18429001_8017.jpg

18429001_134.jpg

18429001_9640.jpg

Edit: Fixed
  • Curvimami
    Options
    last summer I cut off 18 inches for the 5th remembrance of my brothers passing.
    I have only used the generic form of the WEN (bought from Sally beauty supply ) on it for a year..
    Im happy to say it has gone from about an inch and 1/2 long ( I really chopped it) to past my shoulders.

Ive tried the sally"s brand of WEN it worked fine, I think I was just addicted to the WEN infomercials.lol. And only use WEN if I get it as a gift

bwahahahwhaaa... I watch them EVERY TIME they come on... that darn Alyssa Milano is just too darn cute... and i remember growing up watching her on WHOZ THE BOSS..... so I end up sitting there zoned out on the whole commercial and on how everyone hair turns out so spectacular... makes me wanna run to the shower and make mine pretty too...needless to say mine looks NOTHING like theirs when im done but it is super soft and shiny and grows like crazy.

Lol. I love Alysso Too!! And my hair too has been growing like a weed. Im happy about that. I use Henna in my hair and that also helps with shine, smoothness and growth.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I had to look up "naturalista" so I probably don't fit the bill but my hair is down to the bottom of my butt (dry) and to the back of my knees (wet). I use Tresamme Damaged for both shampoo and conditioner every other day and once a week Dove deep (leave-in) conditioner or as needed for tangles. I don't blow dry or use styling products in my hair. Once in a great while I'll flat-iron it or curl it for special occasions. Once a year (usually just as summer begins), I'll have it trimmed. The last time I went to the salon, the girl said I had the healthiest hair she had ever seen for someone with such long hair.

I haven't taken pictures of it in a couple of years but here are some really awful ones from a few years ago.

18429001_8017.jpg

http://payneas.com/Project365/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/100_4153.jpg

http://payneas.com/gallery2/d/16238-1/100_4428.jpg

Edit: Resizing.. copy/paste the last two links. Ack!

Naturalista is just a lady who doesnt use chemicals in her hair Perms/permanents mostly. There are several variations. But your simplistic approach definitely qualifies you.lol and obviously you're a long hair diva :happy:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Baby natural over here. I think I may have the tightest curls on the planet lol. The worst part is that it's not just super curly, it's also very thick, very dark, and very dry. I shampoo once a month and use conditioner and sometimes apple cider vinegar otherwise.

If your hair is very dry. You probably should avoid the apple cider vinegar. Very thick is always good. Many curlies covet the thick curls and coils :-). Your hair sounds like it needs moisture, so creamy moisturizers and oils may help you out.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Beautiful hair, PayneAS!!!

Yay, pictures!!! I've been into updos lately. Here are two pics of braided updos:

23844634_4228.jpg

23844634_8317.jpg
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Yay, pictures!!! I've been into updos lately. Here are two pics of braided updos:

23844634_4228.jpg

23844634_8317.jpg

Oh those are beautiful. I cant wait til my hair is long enought to pull those off :-)
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would love to grow my hair out but sadly, I've noticed my hair falling out like crazy lately and I'm not sure why. It's not over processed or damaged so I'm kind of scared it may be a health issue. Any tips how I can change my diet to help?
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    Been natural for 14 years. I really can't remember what its like to have to worry about my hair. I just put it in an afro puff if I don't have a lot of time, or I am going to swim that day. The rest of the time, I just rock a curly fro.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just curious if there are any naturalistas on MFP? or anyone growing out their hair while on this healthy/weightloss journey ? I've noticed ppl trying to take care of their hair must change their eating habits and lifestyles as well, and usually leads to weight loss and fitness. Any support groups on MFP for such ladies? Anyone interested?

I'm a wavy/curly

Straightened for 11 years and finally said enough is enough. My hair is right below me bra :) I love it!!!
  • Kornstarr_Kell
    Options
    Define naturalista. Do you mean someone with long hair that isn't extensions? If so, that's me, and I hadn't realized I was such a rare breed.
  • Nyrissa
    Nyrissa Posts: 40
    Options
    Mine is down past my bum.

My hair was falling out like crazy with Treseme Naturals, so I decided to switch since I head the TJ brand was really good for your hair, and it doesn't fall out nearly as much anymore!

I used the VO5 Clarifier once when switching to get all the chemicals out of my hair, and now I use the Trader Joe's Organic Shampoo and Conditioner and it works really well. It's mostly just oils and a few chemicals to hold it all together, but nothing harsh.

This was a little over a year ago, before I switched shampoos.
    Untitled.jpg
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Does it count that my hair naturally makes the walls jealous in it's flatness? :laugh:
    It's down to the bottom of my shoulder blades again and hopefully will be back to tushy length by the end of the year. :drinker:
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Curly girl, trying to grow it out!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Define naturalista. Do you mean someone with long hair that isn't extensions? If so, that's me, and I hadn't realized I was such a rare breed.

Naturalista, someone without chemicals in their hair. extensions are like accessories, but there are so many opinons of what natural means. to me no Chemicals is the simplest