Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I doubt I'd ever hire a trainer of any sort, if it was a person who was overall sloppy obese, no, not a chance.

But if it was a big powerlifter guy with a gut, then yes no problem.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My trainer is chubby. She's technically pushing into "obese" for her height, but she knows how to whip ME into shape and we share recipes, places we've found to get off the wall exercises, funny stories, etc. Her weight is actually the result of a medical issue (I asked) that went undiscovered for a while. Now that she knows what's wrong and is on the proper medication, I expect she will begin to drop the weight again and I'm cheering her on.
    I interviewed a LOT of trainers before deciding on her. Her knowledge is out of this world, her "bedside manners" impeccable. So what if she's fluffy at 5'2"? She got me from just shy of 200lbs and a size 16 down to 156 and a size 10 and we've more to go and I look forward to making the rest of that journey by her side. I'm very happy with her. :heart: :drinker:
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    would depend on the situation, i've seen trainers that are still obese but they have lost over 100+ lbs already in their training to do what they do, be motivation and you know they've not only heard it all but probably said it all too!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It would depend. There are some overweight or obese people who are actually very, very healthy. Sumo wrestlers, not to mention that 300 pound dancer who blogs. But as a general rule, no. Most people do not remain obese when they begin working out, and the health vs weight graph is definitely a bell curve.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Would you hire a financial planner that has filed bankruptcy?

I couldn't give you a BIGGER and more obnoxious.... a-heck-NO!

How long ago did they file? Why did they file? Have they learned from that experience? Do they know how to avoid it again?

Must be nice to live in a world that is all black or white. Unfortunately, so much grey gets missed.

Must be nice to be so secure in your finances to take a chance like that.

Having filed for bankruptcy as a married couple, I am not comfortable casting harsh judgement against people when I don't know their circumstances.

And FYI, we filed because we were swamped in med bills after a horrible round of illness. Not all people who file do so because they are irresponsible.

But rock on with your bad self. Keep judging, I hear glass houses really are the new cool thing.

I see you turned this about you....Obviously this is a sore spot for you and I hope things have gotten better for you.

But my glass house is really nice becase I get really sound investment advice. (I don't really get how I am in a glass house.....People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones because the people I throw them at -you apparently - will throw them back and break my house. How does this apply? That would only work if I filed for bankruptcy.)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Are they in the process of improving their weight? Sometimes they can be more understanding than someone who has always been fit.

I agree! You never know what someone else has been going through. If the trainer knew his/her stuff, I would hire him/her. You can learn something from everyone.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Yes, if they were knowledgeable in their job. I've had a few trainers who were thin and none of them have known much. Shape does not equal knowledge.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by obese- technically, based on my BMI (which is a load) I would be just in the obese category. I am fit, full of muscle, and working on lowering body fat. I would be trained by someone who looked like me if they kicked my butt and knew their stuff. I have had instructors in group fitness classes who were a little chubby and they kicked my butt and were working theirs off too! I try not to judge a book by its cover, if they are motivating me to push myself, thats all that matters! :)
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Chubby, yes. Extremely overweight where they can't breathe....No. I'd be too worried about them. On the other hand, I want to be a dietician and plan on going back to school once my kids are out of the house. I am hoping to be at goal weight by the time that happens, but if I’m not I would always share with prospective clients that I am working at getting healthy too. I think they may like seeing how I have to count calories and measure food and that losing weight is hard, rewarding work.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    My OB/GYN was a man, and he was incredible! The women are mean and rough. I would. When I was in the army there was this larger staff sgt who we didnt think could do anything. Well as it turns out that large man was FAST and mean. That was the only workout my whole time in the army when I wanted to die. I would trust a heavier trainer
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that guy Chris Powell helped get from 650 down to 210 or something. He is now back up to 500lbs but still claims to be a trainer. :/

I could hire a fat trainer, but not someone fatter than me.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years; I have a very simple (and possibly convoluted) point of view:

My hairdresser should have nice hair, my dentist should have nice teeth, my doctor should at least look healthy and my trainer better have a dream status body.
  • sweetnessandlighter
    sweetnessandlighter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what about a dentist with terrible teeth? or an obese physician?
  • fitnesspalloser
    fitnesspalloser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No. When one is looking for a trainer, they are looking for someone who inspires them. I would have a difficult time being inspired by someone who is not fit themselves. However, I am encouraged by obese people who have stuck with it and lose weight. They are my hero.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    what about a dentist with terrible teeth? or an obese physician?

Neither. I would run out of both offices. lol
  • tonyrd3000
    tonyrd3000 Posts: 20
    Options
    Don't know if this was said before, but Ripptoe was a powerlifter. It kind of depends on what you are training for. If you are training for fitness/looks, they need to look the part. But if you are training to powerlift, how many skinny powerlifters have you seen?
    Just sayin'
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

I don't see why not. If he can get me to lift more and and can give me a decent spot, I don't actually care what his BF % is.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is unfair for me to judge a person whose time I am paying for. That said, I would not ask financial advice from someone who is broke and I would not ask for weight loss advice from someone who was clearly obese.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    NO WAY! I have a trainer who's very athletic and in excellent shape. He recently ran a 5k with us and plans to do a mud run in August with us. No way could I ever seek motivation from someone who doesn't heed to their own advice. It's like having your doctor telling you to lose weight for your health when they are heavy themselves.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Would you hire a financial planner that has filed bankruptcy?

I couldn't give you a BIGGER and more obnoxious.... a-heck-NO!

How long ago did they file? Why did they file? Have they learned from that experience? Do they know how to avoid it again?

Must be nice to live in a world that is all black or white. Unfortunately, so much grey gets missed.

Must be nice to be so secure in your finances to take a chance like that.

Having filed for bankruptcy as a married couple, I am not comfortable casting harsh judgement against people when I don't know their circumstances.

And FYI, we filed because we were swamped in med bills after a horrible round of illness. Not all people who file do so because they are irresponsible.

But rock on with your bad self. Keep judging, I hear glass houses really are the new cool thing.

I see you turned this about you....Obviously this is a sore spot for you and I hope things have gotten better for you.

But my glass house is really nice becase I get really sound investment advice. (I don't really get how I am in a glass house.....People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones because the people I throw them at -you apparently - will throw them back and break my house. How does this apply? That would only work if I filed for bankruptcy.)

I've been following the Dave Ramsey Plan. He was bankrupt and came back to build a multi million dollar empire. We paid off $60,000 in 2 years following his plan. With that being said, I would be skeptical of a financial advisor who has gone through bankruptcy. Most who undergo bankruptcy use it as the easy way out and never learn from their mistakes. Just like an obese person who takes pills to lose weight never learns how to eat right and ends up gaining all their weight plus more when they get rid of the easy pill solution.