Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Rip isn't a 'fitness trainer' anyway. He's a powerlifting coach - and he looks like it.
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dont know I think that in every sport there is a overweight coach, dance coach, ballet teacher, cheer coach, etc.. The fact that these coaches are not fit and most likely dont participate in a sport doesnt stop cripple their ability to motivate others. they require their teams, dancers, etc to eat certain diets, work out and practice. Are they living that life? Hell no! but the get results.

I just think that it is sad to think that all the people here are on weight loss journeys and losing weight do not feel they would be good enough and qualified enough to train. I truly believe there are overweight people on here that are better qualified to train and encourage that some naturally small indidviduals.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Would you go to bald barber?

I think a better question is: Would you go to a barber with a wreck of a haircut?

How do you know they cut their own hair? Just saying :P
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Would you go to bald barber?

I think a better question is: Would you go to a barber with a wreck of a haircut?

How do you know they cut their own hair? Just saying :P

Doesn't matter. They apparently have no idea what a good haircut is ;)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of "obese". I knew a guy whose BMI would be classified as probably obese but he was fit for his body type and could probably out work and out last someone with a normal BMI.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    NOPE...ABSOLUTELY NOT....I need to be inspired by my trainer. If they can't do the exercise then I sure as hell ain't doing it!

Would you hire a mathematically challenged accountant?
    Or Doctor who failed medical school?
    Or a business advisor who has declared bankruptcy?

I think not so why would you hire someone to train you who has failed at it themselves? (and why are they even working as a trainer?)
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No way- if a trainer looks good, then you know that they know what they're on about and have proved it!! If they were obese they could be just spewing out a heap of theoretical bs that they picked up off the internet!!
    You have to practice what you preach!!

Looks good/=/ in shape or fit or knows how to work out.

Like I have said before, my DH is thin as a rail...but my fat *kitten* can bike farther than him in a heartbeat. He's skinny because of genetics, with muscles from work, but no cardio capability nor experience working out.

But, y'know, they look good, rights? So they must be made of gold. :huh:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as an obese trainer?! How can this person train you to loose weight or w.e. when they, themselves are obese?
  • histora
    Options
    Is there such a thing as an obese trainer?! How can this person train you to loose weight or w.e. when they, themselves are obese?

Maybe they could help you lose weight or whatever but are obese because:

- they just had a bad pregnancy and haven't shed all the weight yet
    - they are coming off of an injury that sidelined them and they didn't anticipate the difference in calories in/ cals out
    - they have already lost 150+ pounds and feel they have so much to offer
    - they were fit before and a trainer, something happened, and now they are getting fit again and helping others

It amazes me sometimes how quickly people trot out the tired stereotypes and memes of obesity. Of course there's no reason a person could be overweight other than being lazy/unmotivated/dull/unaware of how to work out.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    What is up with the expectation of being obese after pregnancy?

I would expect a (good) personal trainer would know enough about nutrition and their bodies to not gain too much weight. About 25 lbs can be expected if you are at a healthy weight (less if you are overweight or obese), and probably 5- 10 lbs of that is water weight that goes down a week or two after birth.

So, they might have an extra 10 lbs. 10lbs is not enough of a difference to qualify someone to think "oh, well this trainer is way too fat".
  • histora
    Options
    What is up with the expectation of being obese after pregnancy?

I would expect a (good) personal trainer would know enough about nutrition and their bodies to not gain too much weight. About 25 lbs can be expected if you are at a healthy weight (less if you are overweight or obese), and probably 5- 10 lbs of that is water weight that goes down a week or two after birth.

So, they might have an extra 10 lbs. 10lbs is not enough of a difference to qualify someone to think "oh, well this trainer is way too fat".

Did I say it was an expectation? No. I said after a *bad* pregnancy. To me, that would include pregnancies involving bed rest, or restricted movement, pre-term labor, difficult twins...all situations that can lead to an increase in calorie need but the diminished ability, or complete lack, of movement and exercise.

Having been on modified bed rest for pro-dromal labor, and also suffering from SPD, I can attest to the struggle it is to not gain too much weight when you are in pain just walking and are banned from anything more than walking from chair to bed to bathroom.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    What matters to me is:
    Do they know what they are talking about?
    Are we compatible? Cause if not, we will get no where.
    Do they listen to me and what I want to do? Or do they shove their own agenda on me?
    Can they do what exercises I do, without huffing and puffing?

Agreed.

Here's a question: How many incredible football, baseball, and basketball coaches are overweight or obese? Quite a few...not sure that's much different than a trainer. You know your stuff or you don't.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as they don't have tattoos. I just don't understand that. :angry:

:wink:
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of obese , ( do you mean as in the scale of BMI?)

There is this weightlifter at my gym who also works as a trainer there most would say by his size he is obese but he is very strong and knows his stuff about fitness.

But generally I wouldn't hire an obese/ unfit trainer.
  • Josshhh
    Josshhh Posts: 9
    Options
    I think personally I'd need the image of a trainer to be motivational and inspiring to me... I know it's superficial, but I think I'd be a lot more trusting and involved if they have what I'm striving for.

That being said I'm sure there are plenty of obese trainer who are far more knowledgeable than fit ones, I don't really think that's relevant, knowledge is knowledge :)
  • caroliiine86
    Options
    nop :(
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

Look at you stirring shlt up :-)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'd never hire a trainer who couldn't run circles around me.

This. I wouldn't even hire an "okay" looking trainer. If I'm going to pay a trainer, they better look like Jaime Eason.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    No, I would not.

I also do not trust a skinny chef.

So you wouldn't eat anything cooked by Giada De Laurentiis?
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would just think he would want to get fit with me and that is why he's doing it.