Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    check out this guy: http://fit2fat2fit.com/

Knows his stuff - gained weight so he could have a better understanding of what it is like to be overweight... crazy crazy. interesting blog
  • aphrogirl2002
    Options
    As a trainer myself, I have been overweight while training my clients and i have in really great shape while training my clients. They have been with me through thick and thin, literally! To them, it didn't necessarily matter what I looked like, as long as I knew what I was doing. Me going through my own weight issues showed them that I could relate to what they were going through. I showed that I was only human and that I was battling the same issues as them. It showed that not all personal trainers are skinny or have been skinny since birth. I showed that I was just like every other person and that is what made me stand out as a personal trainer. I worked out harder than anyone, sweated more than anyone, pushed harder than anyone...my problem was that I couldn't control my eating and my portions.

You can hire the skinniest of trainers and they might not be half as knowledgable as a trainer who might be considered overweight or more plump. The clients that I have worked with want a trainer that they can relate to and vice versa. They want to hire someone who has been there. Sometimes you can't judge a book by its cover!

Nice to have a perspective from the other side. Thanks....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,690 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

Nope. Even though I know that his/her level of knowledge on how to train ME isn't necessarily directly indicated by his/her weight...its still a chance I'd rather not take.

Honestly though, I wouldn't hire a trainer period.

Unless it was Niner lol.
    Lol, trust me when I say I would make it worth your while! Tonight I trained a client (who is trying to put on muscle) with GIANT sets. For example we did for back: deadlifts, followed by bent over rows, followed by pullups. All three one after the other counting as one set using as much weight as he could handle for 8 reps.....................and did 4 sets. Yeah, I revel in watching people writhe in pain.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mariposaflutterby
    mariposaflutterby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would. Just like I would not hire an esthetician with bad skin/acne and so on.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Lots of obese coaches and trainers in the NFL, NBA, MLB. Seems like results mean more than the appearance of the coach.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    You are all assuming that this hypothetical trainer is at his highest weight where he could have recently dropped 200lbs putting him in my opinion in a much better position to advise me on my journey.
    I have at 250lbs out run my 110lbs best friend recently so I wouldn't automaticaly think that this big person was totally unfit.
    Maybe he is recovering from surgery (or a woman from pregnancy)
    I am horrified by the number of people on here who would be so quick to judge a book by its cover.
    I'd take an overweight but knowlegeable trainer over some of the arrogant, cut clones I have experienced in the gym.
    Different horse for different courses I guess but yes. I would hire a good trainer no matter size, race, sex etc......
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'd never hire a trainer.

But if I did, their weight would have no impact on which I chose. I'd want to know if they have the knowledge to help me, and the personality to motivate me. That's all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,690 Member
    Options
    Here's my take:

Knowledge means nothing if you can't convey it to others. If the obese trainer can convey it to their clients and has the ability to motivate them to get the work done, then it may not matter. Where I would see the problem would be if the trainer asked someone to do a burpee and they had no idea how to do it and asked for a demonstration of how to do it and the obese trainer couldn't physically show them how to do it. I don't think that would go over well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with those who have said there is a big difference between a coach and a generic "fitness trainer".

That being said I would always give preference to someone's performance over their appearance though. There are plenty of young fit-looking trainers out there who don't know anything, they just had a little natural sporting talent in High School. I'd place experience, knoweldge and passion over BF% anyday.
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    I think I would have a couple of trial sessions and see how it works and if they actually know what they are talking about.

People can be overweight cause of many reasons.
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As long as they are fitter than i am, why not? Fitness isn't based on how you look. At my heaviest i was 238lbs and rocked aerobics classes but i always had new slim girls who would stand next to me. There are 2 of us in my Zumba class who are a size 18 and a few months ago we did a Zumbathon - suprisingly it was only us who completed the full 3 hours!

If they can motivate, train hard and are enthusiastic - they're hired!
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. How can you show me how to work out hard if you can't do it? A trainer is also supposed to motivate you, and I do not think I would believe someone who was not in shape to get me in shape.

I agree with your second statement but not your first. It's not like they're doing EVERY single exercise side by side with you. I had a personal trainer and he'd show me the exercise once or twice and guide my body to do the technique properly. I'm sure even an overweight person can show you atleast one or two reps..
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would. Just like I would not hire an esthetician with bad skin/acne and so on.

Genetics sometimes plays a role in this. What if they knew the technique but didn't have the time to apply it to themselves?
  • smemilypfeif
    Options
    Hypothetically, i guess I might, But I'd have to really think about it - depends on circumstances. The retired marine someone mentioned might sit better with me than someone who just seems out of shape. While I sort of like the idea of a trainer who has had to work at getting fit (rather than a young, though well certified kid, who has always been fit and has just maintained it, as my current trainer is)...

However, I need a trainer because I don't know what I'm doing. So I couldn't say that I don't care what shape he's in as long as he's competent... how would I know if he is?? I don't really have a gauge except for his own appearance of health and fitness.

So in general, I'm definitely more inclined to trust and want to hire a fit trainer.
  • BigMomma742
    BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes. Discrimination sucks.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    uh-NO!
    I wouldn't go to a dentist with bad teeth either!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think just because a trainer appears out of shape that they would lack knowledge. Check out Mark Rippetoe. Dude knows his stuff, but is not in the best shape.

Good Point, I know I would like to have a trainer to follow and look up to and that might be an issue, but not the fact that they are qualified or not
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Would you take classes from teacher who failed in the business world? (Every college and many lower level schools have plenty of them) Just because a person isn't a "practicing success" in their field of expertise, doesn't mean they don't know and can't teach the material. Just because a trainer is overweight (could be due to any number of legitimate reasons) that doesn't mean they don't understand how the body works and how to help OTHERS.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.

PMSL :laugh:

Personally I don't think I would, BUT.... I would more likely pick a trainer on personality.... And on another note, many great football managers were not great players and vice versa...:ohwell:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Depends how you define obese - I don't think a trainer needs to be at peak fitness and its fine to be carrying a bit of weight etc - but if someone had completely let themselves go physically I just don't think I could respect their opinions on the best training program for me.