Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ...but that's because I would never hire a trainer period..

I am shocked about the responses...

I have seen people with bad hair cuts and bad hair dos....be real good at cutting hair and doing hair..

People that are skinny as a twig....but can bake and cook with REAL butter..

People that are bad with their own finances....but can spot a penny mistake in other people's finances...
    ^^ This!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'd never hire a trainer who couldn't run circles around me.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Why not? If they are a trainer at a gym, and you are paying of their services, they need to be "certified". And technically when someone is "Certified" that means they have learned the parameters of how to safely and correctly train someone in fitness. And I don't think a gym would employ someone who doesn't know how to properly train someone for fear of liability.

What ever happened to the old saying "You can't judge a book by its cover"?

An obese trainer to me, shows that this person is human. And humans aren't perfect and life isn't easy. But at least this person gets up every day and still tries. And I would put money on the fact that they beat themselves up over the fact of being over weight enough as it is without you all's help. Especially holding the position that they have.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    Everyone should not be so quick to judge. Are you paying for the knowledge they may have and the compatibility with you to give you the best results? Or are you paying for a dumba$$ that is essentially arm candy to follow you around the gym?

If you haven't done one...enroll in a race like a 5k or 10K and see how many of your obese people are passing you.

Just because someone is bigger than you think they should be do not automatically assume that they are not the one that can give you the most knowledge...and definitely do not assume they cannot outlift, outpress, outjump, and basically run your *kitten* into the dirt.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    it would depend on how obese they were. borderline, then yeah. but being 120kg+ then probably not.

but just because someone is obese or overweight doesn't mean that they're not fit or strong, or that they aren't knowledgeable.

some fat people are fitter than skinny people. if the trainer were fat, but was fit and knew what they were doing then I wouldn't mind hiring them. as long as they helped me achieve my goals and pushed me really hard.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If I wanted a trainer I would higher the trainer I believe could help me get to the body I want. I don't care what they look like, I care about what they can make me look like and how strong they can help me get. If the heavy set person can do that better than the thin, or in shapre trainer I'll pick the heavy set one.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing to see so many people equate "obese" with "doesn't work out." I'm still technically obese but in the best shape of my life. If I were seeking a trainer to lose weight, I would absolutely hire someone like myself who had successfully lost significant weight & is physically fit, even if he/she was still obese.
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sure. I would want my trainer to be *fit.* I want them to be able to do the workout themselves, too, because I want them to understand what they're assigning me. But if they're fit and physically capable but still look pudgy, or even obese (i.e., "fat fit") -- sure, I don't care. I'm paying them to help me, not to be physically appealing to me.

But I don't have the money for a trainer, alas.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Just curious.
    If they can squat 2x body weight and deadlift 3x then sure.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sure wouldn't. I also wouldn't hire a trainer that was a bodybuilder because I have no desire to look like that. I want someone with experience (not in the middle of their journey) and someone who I can look up to, not someone I can relate to.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I would for sports-specific training.

For general fitness, no.

I think with a coach its a completely different thing. A gym trainer is in the gym all day and has no reason to not practice what he/she preaches. Plus I need to know that the fitness plan being laid out for me by a trainer is something I can sustain for life. When I conditioned for sports I had no intention of playing it competitively for life. Its a little hard to describe but there is a difference.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Nope. But i don't mind someone who looks "normal". Too fit is a little intimidating. I want someone who knows what they're talking about but also walks the walk.

Edited to add: assuming we're talking about the traditional definition of "obese" here, and not the person who's super fit but fits into the obese BMI due to muscle mass.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No way- if a trainer looks good, then you know that they know what they're on about and have proved it!! If they were obese they could be just spewing out a heap of theoretical bs that they picked up off the internet!!
    You have to practice what you preach!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    no
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    No way- if a trainer looks good, then you know that they know what they're on about and have proved it!! If they were obese they could be just spewing out a heap of theoretical bs that they picked up off the internet!!
    You have to practice what you preach!!

What about all those obese nfl coaches? Clearly they got all that theoretical bs off the internet.

I think I'm going to edit my previous opinion that I posted earlier to "It depends" :smile:
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Crazy, some of theses answers...BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN....BUT BE MORE OPEN-MINDED PLEASE!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yup. Especially if they were on their way to fixing themselves also
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I just think that if they really understood the dedication, skills and motivation required to get someone else fit, shouldn't they be fit themselves?

I'd need someone to look up to. Someone who wouldn't get out of breath jogging beside me, who wouldn't just yell from the sidelines but could lead the way.
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would.

As long as they had a nice personality, listened to me and were serious about helping me reach my goals - that's all I care about.

And frankly, those qualities are not easy to find.

thank you! finally!