Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm hiring them for knowledge not for inspiration or a workout buddy.

Teach me the stuff you know, guide me to the right workouts and let me at it. Don't care what they can do with themselves as much as I care what they can do with their clients.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    no, because of the whole practice what you preach sort of thing.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As a trainer myself, I have been overweight while training my clients and i have in really great shape while training my clients. They have been with me through thick and thin, literally! To them, it didn't necessarily matter what I looked like, as long as I knew what I was doing. Me going through my own weight issues showed them that I could relate to what they were going through. I showed that I was only human and that I was battling the same issues as them. It showed that not all personal trainers are skinny or have been skinny since birth. I showed that I was just like every other person and that is what made me stand out as a personal trainer. I worked out harder than anyone, sweated more than anyone, pushed harder than anyone...my problem was that I couldn't control my eating and my portions.

You can hire the skinniest of trainers and they might not be half as knowledgable as a trainer who might be considered overweight or more plump. The clients that I have worked with want a trainer that they can relate to and vice versa. They want to hire someone who has been there. Sometimes you can't judge a book by its cover!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. If they're not going to live the lifestyle they're promoting, there's no point. Nutritionists and trainers are walking advertisements for their business.
  • 89lbs
    89lbs Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, would you agree to be seen by an obese doctore or a doctor who smoked?
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I used to watch trainers at a large "fitness" place I used to go to and many of them seemed fairly clueless about the whole thing but I dont recall ever seeing one who was obese,

But if I did hire a trainer, I wouldnt hire someone who wasnt in great shape. Certainly not one who is obese. Same as I would have a hard time taking advice from a doctor who smokes cigarettes.
  • dmaz99
    dmaz99 Posts: 18
    Options
    I honestly don't think just because a trainer appears out of shape that they would lack knowledge. Check out Mark Rippetoe. Dude knows his stuff, but is not in the best shape.

I lost 55 lbs with an obese trainer 6 years ago. :)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i would, id find out first if he has the knowledge to help me.
  • isweatglitter
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should judge a person on their weight. My boss is obese, but the best high school baseball coach ever, is great at teaching weight lifting, and is just an all around superb person. He just can't control his eating, and obviously doesn't care as much about himself as he does the people he coaches.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

If he doesnt care enough about himself that he let himself become obese, why is going to care about you? Doesnt make sense to me.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    No, it's like going to an orthodontist with crooked teeth. It's hard for me to listen to someone when they don't appear to be following their own advice.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ...but that's because I would never hire a trainer period..

I am shocked about the responses...

I have seen people with bad hair cuts and bad hair dos....be real good at cutting hair and doing hair..

People that are skinny as a twig....but can bake and cook with REAL butter..

People that are bad with their own finances....but can spot a penny mistake in other people's finances...
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    If I knew he/she had a real successful past, sure! A lot of folks have been down the road plenty, then decide to give it up for whatever reason.

But this reminds of a saying "never trust a thin chef". That I don't think I would do :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

If he doesnt care enough about himself that he let himself become obese, why is going to care about you? Doesnt make sense to me.

It's easier to help someone else then to fix your own problems.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Probably, if I liked everything else about him/her.

To me, it's not much different than an obese medical doctor.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. Their own abilities are no indication of their own knowledge. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't the best athletes. It's more about what they know and what they can get out of me.

^This.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A fitness professional must 'walk the walk'. No exceptions.