Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I would not hire an obese trainer. Nope. If you don't teach by example, then I'm not going to pay you to teach me... And I agree about motivation.

I saw my old trainer last night (she moved away last year) and she looks fantastic. It was really motivating for me to be trained by someone who takes great care of her own body.

An obese trainer is a hypocrite.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Would you take financial advice from someone that's broke?
    Would you go to a toothless dentist?

It kills me when I go to a doctors office and all the ladies working in the front area are fat and/or smoke.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I was obese...I still am theoretically...But even at my heaviest...I knew alot about diets and training...So my answers is yes...As long as they knew what they were talking about..

Not everyone has the discipline to practice what they preach...
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Would you go to bald barber?

Yes. That's a bad example.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sure why not. They may not practice what they preach, what do I care?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.

The knowledge is one thing but there's a whole other (much more important imo) piece to the puzzle, which is having a deep understanding of the psychological games that really mean success or failure in weight loss.

In that light, perhaps a trainer who has been lean all their life is equally useless. My preferred trainer would be someone who fought a battle with weight, won, and kept it off for at least five years.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Only if they were training me to eat.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No. I also wouldn't take an aerobics class from an instructor who is out of shape. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable the person may be I want someone who I can look up to and aspire to be. If I have a personal trainer or aerobics instructor who is jacked and has the physique that I aspire to it will make me work harder, ask more questions and get advice from them on how to go about getting the body I want. I would be less inclined to ask an out of shape or obese trainer these questions because they're obviously doing something wrong. I don't care if they're on a journey to be healthier. They should have done that before they became a PT or instructor.

Go ahead and flame me if you want but as someone on here said you wouldn't take financial advice from a broke person would you? So why should I take fitness advice from an obese person?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Would you take financial advice from someone that's broke?
    Would you go to a toothless dentist?

It kills me when I go to a doctors office and all the ladies working in the front area are fat and/or smoke.

This!! I teach Zumba and I feel that if I want women to show up to my class, that I have to be fit and healthy. I am showing my clients that what I am doing is working, and that I practice what I preach. " Do as I say and not as I do"....that is never a good thing!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It would depend on their knowledge and experience
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't matter as long as he can execute all the workouts properly & without catching his breath especially in the early stages.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds and currently I'm still obese and I am in fantastic health and cardiovascular shape. I want to be a trainer but am waiting until I hit goal weight because I understand that I need to represent the image of my future business.

However, a "fit looking" trainer is not necessarily fit or healthy. Just found out one of the trainers at my old gym is anorexic so just because she looks fantastically fit doesn't mean she is practicing what she preaches either. I choose to keep an open mind.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think there is definitley a reason why Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels are on The Biggest Loser.
    They walk the walk and not just talk the talk. A trainer is quite different than a coach.
    I think high school football coach can be a little heavier because many of his players are in demand
    if they are also heavier(ie: defense players). A trainer is helping you live a healthy lifestyle and needs
    to speak from experience.
    To answer the question: NO ! I would definitely not hire an obese trainer.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would, but something to think about - I have gotten several people into working out regularly, including a friend of mine who literally had not worked out in years. Now we work out together, both cardio and weights. I am overweight but in very good shape (still dropping the weight) and I think that I am less intimidating and more 'relatable" than someone who has been thin her whole life. Like, you don't need to be thin to have an active, fit lifestyle. So in terms of motivation, I don't know that an overweight trainer would be fatal. I can see how someone overweight could eat healthy and work out a lot (like me) but I don't know how long someone could be obese while eating well and working out a lot (in the long run).

Do you think that people who are intimidated by super fit, lean people would do better with a trainer that is a bit overweight?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    NOPE.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good golf teachers/coaches who can't play a lick.
  • boxer4life
    Options
    I would, I have been in boxing for years and most of my trainers were not in shape. knowledge is not personified thru appearance. Just my point of view.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    it depends on the definition of obese there are athletes that are considered obese because of bmi standards
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    it depends on the definition of obese there are athletes that are considered obese because of bmi standards

True but to look at these athletes you wouldn't think they were obese because of the fact that they are in shape. I believe the OP was referring to a true, overweight/obese person. NOT an athlete.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    I wouldn't consider someone like Mark Rippetoe to be obese, although I suppose that technically he is.

I wouldn't hire a personal trainer anyway, but if I were to consider it, I think it would depend on a variety of factors. Appearance would be one; I would want them to appear at least somewhat fit. Rippetoe has some bulk. But you can also see a lot of power in his arms and shoulders and chest. And, he is very knowledgeable. And let's face it; for 56, he's doing pretty good. Having reached my forties, I can tell you that it is much harder to stay fit then it was twenty years ago when I was a young, hard body Airman.

I think it depends on what you consider obese, beyond, of course, the technical guidelines. I certainly wouldn't hire one who appeared morbidly obese.