• EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.

I'm for hire and I'm quite funny.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...If I were to hire a trainer I would want to pick someone who is a product of his or her own product...
    The fruit of a person's health and fitness philosophy is manifested in his body.
    Nobody serious about reaching their goals needs some sloppy fat "trainer".
    That would be like me offering you a free hair style.
    I'd have you looking like Moe on the 3 stooges just like a fat trainer will keep you fat.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. Their own abilities are no indication of their own knowledge. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't the best athletes. It's more about what they know and what they can get out of me.

This!!! Just because a person happens to be overweight doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about I would it would make no difference if they were in shape or out of shape.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i wondered this about a nutritionist since i am currently debating what i should go to school for. i'm unsure. i'm still a good bit overweight (30lbs to be exact), and i'm not sure if it would be appropriate for me to become a trainer OR nutritionist. LOL
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on context.

Physique and knowledge are two separate things, but having said that, the sad truth is that people will assume you are correct if you are in good shape. Most of them, anyways.

I'd go out of my way (and pay) to have Mark Rippetoe train me on squats/deads, and he's not exactly lean. He is an exceptional trainer though. Probably one of the best when it comes to the above lifts.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    But if I am working one on one with someone who is claiming to know how to make me fit and look awesome, I expect the same from them.

Why? Only their knowledge matters.

This.
  • Dani_Detroit
    Options
    yes, you are training me, we are not work-out buddies.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some of the best coaches in the world are over weight.
    Also someone with a lot of muscle could be considered obese just due to how much muscle they've got.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would only hire a "fit" trainer. Low body weight does not guarantee knowledge. I had a trainer that was a normal body weight and he was an idiot.

I was in the gym with my trainer and this kid comes over (with very low body fat and muscles bulging everywhere) and he was asking my trainer what certain exercises, I even knew what they were so you cant just go by what someone looks like to determine their knowledge. THATS JUST BEING SHALLOW

I think "personal trainer" needs more regulation on certification b/c I swear to god 1 in 20 people on this site say they are personal trainers LOL
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some of the best coaches in the world are over weight.
    Also someone with a lot of muscle could be considered obese just due to how much muscle they've got.

That second comment especially is very true. Look at most pro-football players that are in great shape with a great physique and I guarantee that many of them have a BMI indicating they are obese. My BMI actually indicates that I'm obese, do I look obese to anybody here?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've only ever joined a gym once, it was a "Curves" -among several of my issues with it there.... the owner/manager was a very overweight woman who sat and ate snacks, chips and cookies, at 6:00 AM and munched at her desk. If she came out of her office, she was always eating and talking while eating. She knew nothing about fitness, even thought she gave advice on it - she had the nerve to tell someone that "I" would not get muscles unless I lost weight - I was about 20% body fat at the time and my lowest weight ever, I was really small. It was enough for me to never want to return ever.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've only ever joined a gym once, it was a "Curves" -among several of my issues with it there.... the owner/manager was a very overweight woman who sat and ate snacks, chips and cookies, at 6:00 AM and munched at her desk. If she came out of her office, she was always eating and talking while eating. She knew nothing about fitness, even thought she gave advice on it - she had the nerve to tell someone that "I" would not get muscles unless I lost weight - I was about 20% body fat at the time and my lowest weight ever, I was really small. It was enough for me to never want to return ever.

LMAO! On one hand there is something to be said about leading by example.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.

ROFL :laugh:

Make him show you how to do burpees over and over and over.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I would only hire a "fit" trainer. Low body weight does not guarantee knowledge. I had a trainer that was a normal body weight and he was an idiot.

I was in the gym with my trainer and this kid comes over (with very low body fat and muscles bulging everywhere) and he was asking my trainer what certain exercises, I even knew what they were so you cant just go by what someone looks like to determine their knowledge. THATS JUST BEING SHALLOW

I think "personal trainer" needs more regulation on certification b/c I swear to god 1 in 20 people on this site say they are personal trainers LOL

very true. my nutritionist obviously knew her stuff when it came to a balanced, healthy diet, and she was honestly overweight. probably about my size or larger. she asked me to up my calories to 1,800 a day and see what that does for me because I have been stuck for months. i workout diligently and i'm definitely seeing my body change and i'm stronger, but i'm not seeing the scale move at all. less than a week of upping my calorie intake and i'm back to losing. yes... i'm a cheater and i weighed myself before my official weigh in day. ;) lol

oh and yeah i've seen a number of "trainers" on here as well. ;) ha
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wouldn't hire an obese nutritionist or dietitian either.

This right here! If you are unable to navigate your mind to take your own advice...how can you TRULY help me?
  • Diluteddante
    Options
    Nope. I wouldn't hire an obese nutritionist or dietitian either.

This right here! If you are unable to navigate your mind to take your own advice...how can you TRULY help me?

Why do they need to take their own advice? It's you seeking the advice, not them.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If they have a track record of training Olympic athletes to gold or something, I don't care what their own health and fitness routine is. I'd hire them. If it's just some random trainer at a gym in sometown... no way.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    No. If they can't follow their own guidelines, why should I? I would want someone to look up to, not someone I don't want to end up looking like. You should be striving towards them or with them, not away from them.
  • Diluteddante
    Options
    I would want someone to look up to, not someone I don't want to end up looking like. You should be striving towards them or with them, not away from them.

Why?