Black Coffee?

Options
I'm considering learning to like black coffee. Any thoughts/tips/advice?

Any of you converted? :)

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee.
    2. Ditch the drip pot. Get one of these:

french-press.jpg

or one of these

MokaPot2.jpg

(I prefer the latter, but the former is probably easier).
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use to drink double double for years... I cut cold turkey.. been drinking straight up black no sugar for almost 2 yrs! The first cup or 2 takes a bit a work but once you make it through 3-4 days of just black you got it nixed. The more coffee you drink the faster you get over the taste. I cant even put a drop of Bailey's in my coffee now, not that that's a bad thing, but once in a while doesnt hurt :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    It's great when done right. Get good quality beans, not grounds. You want a french press or a single shot brewer, mine grinds&brews single cups and shots for my lazy behind. It tastes a bajillion times better when it is fresh ground.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I went to black coffee a few years ago and you really will get used to it pretty quickly. Once in a while I want a little no cal sweetener with it but I have no desire for cream anymore.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    LOVE black coffee! I'm pretty sure I drink it almost every day of my life!
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    I have started black coffee only and it is not bad. I started with a medium roast and now work up to some flavored coffee. I like the ones that smell really good but are not over powering on the taste
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    spark is the best energy drink ever!! no sugar, no crash... 10x the energy as red bull, 5 hour energy, or coffee with no crash :)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee.

french-press.jpg

or one of these

MokaPot2.jpg

Yep, that's how I roll.
  • xoFlo
    xoFlo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump. Would love to be inspired to leave out the milk/fat free half & half and splenda/stevia.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee.

or one of these

^^^Could not agree more! I've been drinking it black now for over 5 years. At one time, back in the day, I couldn't drink it all unless it was loaded with sugar and milk/cream. Now the thought of that grosses me out. I tapered off the sugar slowly and went to just cream, then from cream to whole milk, then low fat milk, then skim milk (which to me might as well have not even been there), and finally to plain black coffee. You can't beat quality coffee from a french press.
  • beachcomber72
    Options
    HI ! You are my first post, whoo hoo! I decided to cut sugar, and find that coffee with a touch of milk is better then black, but hoping to endure blackm asap. ...then saw your message and was happy to not be the only one doing this!! HEE HEE
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tried it and couldn't do it. I switched to tea instead.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Buy good coffee. Starbucks is not good coffee (except maybe ther blonde roast).
    Get a decent grinder (baratza encore is the cheapest decent one out there IMO)
    Get a good coffee making device. If you want a drip machine, the Bonavita is awesome and reasonably priced compared to the comparable Technivorm.
    If that is too expensive, I recommend a chemex or French press. Water temp is extremely important with those.
    Use 7-9g of coffee per 6 oz "cup" depending on how strong you want it.

If you like iced coffee, get a Toddy... They are awesome.

Black coffee should be very enjoyable if made properly! :)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Buy good coffee. Starbucks is not good coffee (except maybe ther blonde roast).
    Get a decent grinder (baratza encore is the cheapest decent one out there IMO)
    Get a good coffee making device. If you want a drip machine, the Bonavita is awesome and reasonably priced compared to the comparable Technivorm.
    If that is too expensive, I recommend a chemex or French press. Water temp is extremely important with those.
    Use 7-9g of coffee per 6 oz "cup" depending on how strong you want it.

If you like iced coffee, get a Toddy... They are awesome.

Black coffee should be very enjoyable if made properly! :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I agree with the french press if you're going to switch to all black coffee, it gives a much richer taste and a softer feel to the cup of coffee.

I've worked down from 1/3 cup of half n half and about 8 sugar packets in my morning 16 oz cup of strong drip coffee, down to 1/4 cup of skim milk and 3 sugar packets. Dropped the half n half for first 2% milk and then skim. Cut the sugar in half to 4 packets years ago. Since starting on MFP in January, cut the skim milk volume down to about 1/4 cup and sugar to 3 packets.
  • AkronsBrit
    AkronsBrit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Phase the milk/creamer/everything else you put in your coffee gradually and you won't even notice the difference after a while!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree like everyone else with the quality coffee, and I wouldnt start out with something very bold because it tends to be more bitter in my opinion. Wein yourself gently off the creamers/sugar.
  • cerveau
    cerveau Posts: 3
    Options
    A great way to make the transition is to start with cold brewed coffee. All of the acidity and bitterness is that cream and sugar typically mask are virtually absent in a good cold brew. A single type of bean will make a radically different when cold brewed than, say, in a stovetop espresso machine. Generally the result is a super smooth coffee with far more discernible flavors of chocolate or fruit or whatever underlying notes there are to the bean and roast. It's mild enough that you could literally guzzle it. Sometimes I do. And, of course, start with a great coffee and grind it fresh.

Generally cold brews are served on ice, but I've been to a few restaurants that cold brewed their coffee, and then served it hot, and the awesomely smooth, non-acidic flavor is just as great. I've actually done side-by-side comparisons on the same coffee bean, hot brewed and cold brewed, and the difference is like night and day. Cold brew - delicious and soothing. Hot brew - painfully sharp and bitter.

Here's a good guide to get started: http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee

This is just for making a single glass, but you can also make big batches and store it in a glass beverage dispenser in the fridge and just pour yourself a glass each morning. So easy. If I had unlimited funds I'd keep my coffee in this thing: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-serve/20841896.jsp. So beautiful!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I need 1 sugar cube and a dallop of skim milk still. I like it better iced though.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee.

french-press.jpg

or one of these

MokaPot2.jpg

LOVE my French press. :)