Black Coffee?

Options

Replies

• jenandten
    jenandten Posts: 9
    Options
    I am having this dilemma now. I actually think my inability to lose weight before MFP was all the half and half I was unwittingly pouring into my coffee! I am thinking it was probably a cup and a half a day! Now I measure it out first and when it's gone, it's gone.

But it's still a huge part of my daily calories and fat and I wish I could cut it out. Milk has too much sugar, half and half/cream, too much fat, fake creamers, ugh.

I am enjoying coffee less with the reduced amount of creamer so maybe will just quit.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add to the already excellent advice is if you are trying out different roasts and flavored coffees see if you can buy the little sample sizes for like a dollar each. My grocery store sells them right next to the rest of the coffee. It is already ground but you don't get so much that it stales as easily.

I have a cup sized french press which cost less than 10 dollars and since it only makes a cup at a time I don't end up wasting the coffee that sits in a full sized pot too long. It is also great for brewing loose leaf teas.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much coffee these days, but when I do it's always black - milk and sugar ruin it!
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee.
    2. Ditch the drip pot. Get one of these:

french-press.jpg

or one of these

MokaPot2.jpg

(I prefer the latter, but the former is probably easier).

Thanks for the suggestions - I just ordered one (simular to the top) that got good reviews on amazon.com. I have been thinking about it for awhile since I like that it has no plastic parts (no leaching) but was afraid to try it. After reading about how much people like it I thought that I would give it a shot :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I tried it and could not do it so I just have my coffee with milk and a little sugar and deal with it. If I have to give up milk and sugar then I will have to give up coffee.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried. I just don't like it black but I no longer use creamer except on occasion. Mostly, I make it the night before, put a cup in my magic bullet in the morning with ice, bananna, pb, chocolate protein powder and a little almond milk. YUMMY!!! If I'm not having a shake in the morning, I either don't drink coffee that day or I just have it with a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk and agave.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee. Just artificial sweetener to get used to the taste.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Great post and awesome ideas from everyone. I love my coffee - I too used to load it with cream and sugar but I'm slowly weening of it. So far, I haven't been able to go black - but the french press idea is great. For now, I just use instant Folgers at home since I'm the only one who drinks it there - and just drink the brewed coffee here at work. I am finding though that I want less and less sugar in it... just the cream. Overly sweet coffee, which I used to love, just doesn't appeal to me. This post though is encouraging me to try it with no sugar, just cream and then try to slowly limit or eliminate that too.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I love my Kuerig...I love my coffee black with some stevia!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee without sugar or sweetener, just skim milk, but I can't stand it black. I always try to use great beans.
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i thought i never would! but now i like it...being from the south it was the same for tea...i've learned to really like unsweetened iced tea
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I used to put so much stuff in my coffee that it was probably closer to caramel than coffee. I started drinking it black out of convenience because it took 1 second to pour a cup of black coffee and head out the door and I needed to cut my morning routine down. It really didn't take me long until I was used to drinking it black. Now I prefer it that way.

You could try out some of the flavored coffee that is available, that might make your transition easier.

I agree with everyone above who says that starbucks is NOT good coffee.

I don't know about their coffee, but their espresso drinks are good. I usually have a nonfat latte without sugar or sweetener. Their espresso has a natural sweet, almost chocolately flavor.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    i thought i never would! but now i like it...being from the south it was the same for tea...i've learned to really like unsweetened iced tea

I love unsweetened ice tea with lemon. Coffee, for some reason, is different. I also get a better caffeine "high" from coffee than tea. I'll drink tea for the taste, but if I need energy, it has to be coffee or espresso.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wish I hadn't checked the message boards - rats. This is my dilemma recently. I don't use sugar but the flavored cream, yum. I save calories for it but this thread is already piling the guilt on. Now just to decide - cold turkey or gradual?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that Cream/Milk and sugar are only there to cover up the sins of bad coffee. I drink black coffee unless it's flavored in which case I add a splenda to further pronounce the flavor. I generally don't drink flavored coffee so no big deal there.

I love french press coffee BUT most of the time I use our Keurig because I'm in a hurry to get out of the door in the morning. This has inspired me to use the Keurig on the weekends when I'm home just chillin. I still have a fair amount of beans to grind including the 100% Kona (no silly blends here) my buddy Tom brought me back from Hawaii
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Coffee purists will probably flame me for this, but just go buy a Keurig. They're incredibley convenient.

I second this. We have a Keurig machine at home, and my workplace has one as well. Very convenient, and makes it easy to try different kinds of coffees without having to make a whole pot.

I switched to black decaff coffee about 6 months ago to save the calories from the sugar and cream. I just made the switch, but I didn't drink a lot of sweetened drinks besides coffee anyways. It took a couple of weeks, but now I enjoy the taste of black coffee. Kind of like when you stop smothering your food in dressing and sauces and actually begin to taste the food.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    i switched:) i used to put like 2 creams and 3+ sugars! i just drink black and I enjoy it:) i put 1 skim milk in it sometimesssss
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I usually drink mine black with a few drops of peppermint essential oil (health food store, youngliving.com). It's fabulously delicious.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I live on the stuff, have done for years - Can't bear the taste of milk in coffee at all
  • kmckeever811
    kmckeever811 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go Organic... I have been a coffee drinker for over 35 years... The last few years I have switched to organic. It is much easier on the stomach. I also try to find the type which is Fair Trade meaning the small farmer on the other side of the world who grows the coffee is given a fair wage for his work. I drink it black but you can get low calorie sweetners etc...... It costs a wee bit more but worth the extra buck or two a bag....