I hate to sound mean but......

Options

Replies

• Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would say do nothing. People are going to do what they want to do. If someone suggested to me to change my eating habits before I was ready to, I would not have listened and I would have been very pissed off. It is up to her to change, not up to you to change her. At one point, people would have looked at my food choices and been repulsed as well. Thankfully no one said anything. People have to want to change.

THIS^^^^ I was up to 297lbs at 19 years old before I decided I wanted to change. Finally decided to do something about it and dropped 162 lbs!! Thank God I made that choice earlier in my life. I gained about 40 back in the last 4 years after getting married. So I am here to drop those 40 again. However, the choice had to be mine. I was told time and time again by family members that I needed to lose weight, but I didn't care. I had to make that choice. I admire you for wanting to help, but it could be taken offensively if she is not ready. Just continue to keep up your healthy lifestyle for yourself :happy:
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    To the OP.. there are a lot of sheeple in the world.. it is expected to get responses such as some of the ones you have received. I have no doubt you'd like to help your coworker, I would want to do the same. It's just the question is, how to put it across.. like my prior post on here, would you let someone on the edge of a building jump? No.. so why is this any different?

Cosigned!

But I probably wouldn't say anything to her directly cause I'm really blunt but not a bully and you don't know why she eats like that. She probably already hates herself.

But You could do some indirect stuff like:

When ever she eats any of the junk food look at here like she farted.
    Bring some fruit for a snack and start eating it in front of her and say in an exaggerated manner how awesome this fruit is.
    Tell her about the thread on MFP where the women were talking about how they have orgasms while exercising.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Also,

I simply asked what you guys would do. And guess what you all did STARTED JUDGING ME!!! hahahahahaha. Im sure you all know what that makes you all!

Simply asking would be: What would you do if you saw a really overweight co-worker eating really unhealthy foods all the time? Would you say something?

You didn't simply ask - you gave a detailed listing of your co-worker's food choices and told the world you find her repulsive. You get back the kindness you put out into the world.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's nothing worse than someone on a mission.

Just leave it. It's none of your business. Lead by example. Keep it simple.

Word.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless she asks for your input I would mind your business. It should be motivating not discouraging.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You all are right!.

Its just very frustrating to see. I would be pissed if anyone said anything to me about my eating habits.

Then WHY are you sitting in judgement over her? Worry about yourself and YOUR eating habits.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue with my mother. After 37 years as the only child of a single mother, we have a VERY tight relationship. Which means that I KNOW how difficult and potentially devastating my non-judgemental judgement (I don't remember who used that term, but thank you!) of her would be.

What I choose to do is get healthy myself and talk to my kids about healthy choices openly. So I might talk about it right in front of her, but I don't say, "Hey mom, mix in a few veggies and cut out the soda!"

She made a quick dinner the other night for my 8yo son - turkey and rice. So I asked my son what fruit or veggies he had. As he looked at his plate, my mom said that he had strawberries with breakfast. I said to my son, "Dude, you need veggies with every meal. Do you want carrots, an apple or salad?" and I said it like 'here are your choices, pick one' instead of 'would you like one?' She rolled her eyes, but he lit up and asked for a salad. I made my point without saying a word to my mom.

As for your coworker, I have to agree with most of these responses that you shouldn't approach her directly. If you lead by example, she might come to you and say "How did you do it?" at which time you can respond with the courtesy and compassion you'd hope to receive if your places were reversed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    aweful

Jesus Christ. You know that little red line that shows up under your words when you misspell them?

Honestly, you shouldn't be spending so much time thinking about somebody's else's failures.

How much time have you spent pointing out what you beleive to be the OP's faults? Are you the pot or kettle?

BTW - no little red lines show up on the MFP app I use. Typos are a part of life on the internet. Nothing to get your panties in a wad about.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Also,

I simply asked what you guys would do. And guess what you all did STARTED JUDGING ME!!! hahahahahaha. Im sure you all know what that makes you all!

I have learned that for a site where we are all here to get healthy and support each other, there are a lot of mean people on here that will call you out on the smallest things. You really didn't mean to be mean, you were just being human. I love how everyone that is giving you such a hard time is acting so 'high and mighty' like they've NEVER done the same thing.

So, I'm assuming that all of you who are calling her out have NEVER looked at another human being, and formed some type of opinion? Whether it be that they're overweight? Too skinny? You don't like what they're wearing? Their hairstyle? Wow...you all must be saints! Amazing!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Same deal with smokers... There is no point, just keep living your life... I hate when people try to convert me (door to door religion)... Lol
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Why would you post something about your overweight coworker when you are overweight yourself? Concentrate on your own weight. You don't have a clue if she has medical problems, nor have you walked a day in her shoes. Your post comes off as very mean spirited.

Yes I do know that she has medical issues because she has said something to me about it before. And Im not trying to be mean at all!!!

I guess If I ever see her ready to jump of a bridge I should just mind my business then too.

Maybe Ill send some flowers to the funeral and let the family know I let it happen.

You people wouldbe surprised on what the smallest amount of impact can make on a person!

Good Day People!

Ask yourself: "if my coworker saw my original post in this thread, would her feelings be hurt?" I'd be willing to bet it's a resounding YES!!!! That does make it kind of mean...

I disagree. Asking a internet fitness community what they would do when faced with a situation of a co-worker literally eating themselves into sickness doesn't seem mean to me. Though many of the replies have certainly been mean.

You would be pleased, then, if you were the overweight coworker to find a great fitness site, and then read the board and see that your coworker had written this about you? You would be happy. No hurt feelings? Surely you jest...or lack the empathic feelings it requires to put yourself into that person's shoes.

The coworker probably doesn't want her "dirty laundry" aired all over the internet by some person she feels obliged to say good morning to every day.

Whatever!!!
  • brandeebruce
    brandeebruce Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people on here about not saying anything directly to her about her eating habits. However, if you have one of those cubicle environments that is like mine, where people bring food every now and again to share, maybe bring some healthy snacks to share occasionally (for instance, someone here makes a pretty low cal zucchini chocolate bread). We do this ALL the time in my office. If I find something that is amazing, I usually bring it in and talk with my office mates about it. Maybe if she is subtly exposed to some good, healthier eats, she will come to you and ask you for recipes, etc. It could be what makes her more motivated to eat better....and if not, well, I bet the other folks in the office will love you for feeding them yummy snacks!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    aweful

Jesus Christ. You know that little red line that shows up under your words when you misspell them?

Honestly, you shouldn't be spending so much time thinking about somebody's else's failures.
    Ah, yes. Criticizing spelling, rather than content. Always a mature and productive approach. :flowerforyou:
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My life experience tells me not to get involved....It has a way of biting you right in the *kitten* somehow (even if your intentions on good). There really isn't anything you can say anyway everyone has to been in the right frame of mind mentally before starting this venture. Saying something and her taking it negitivally may set her back even further. :))
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    WOW op's getting a hard time here when all she wants to do is help a co-worker. Normally i have all the tact and diplomacy of a sledge hammer so i can empathise with your situation. If you really want to say something why not tell her about your own 8lb loss and how it was so easy to do using MFP. If she decides to look at the site then she may change, if she doesn't then at least you can say you tried. Just make sure you are telling her about your achievement and not telling her to change.

Also see if you can have this thread deleted first :noway:
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    honestly this breaks my heart, she's literally killing herself in front of you
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    aweful

Ah, yes. Criticizing spelling, rather than content. Always a mature and productive approach. :flowerforyou:

Love this! Thanks for saying it. :)
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We are all on here for a simular problem. Maybe in different degrees of overeating and unhealthyness but still the same. I don't think of anything more hurtful that to bring it to a persons attention about their weight no matter how well meaning you are. All you can do is be a freind and maybe one day they will take from you lead. You never know what a person is going thru that might feed the eating habit. Please don't say anything to this person. Even when the doctor would say something about how unhealthy my weight was it was hurtful.
  • There's nothing worse than someone on a mission.

Just leave it. It's none of your business. Lead by example. Keep it simple.

This^^^. Your actions are so much louder than your words anyway :)
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I DISAGREE with all of the people who say "IGNORE her, carry on with yourself".. (sheeple)

I would do subtle things "hey you want to go for a walk here with me .. or want to hit up this restaurant (one that has healthier choices).." then once you get to talking and she tells you about her life and you tell her about your life, maybe say something about being on MFP and how you're doing well.. NOT selling it.. but just along those lines of just have A MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION.. then what she does is up to her. IF YOU'RE really up for genuinely helping her...
This discussion has been closed.