I hate to sound mean but......

Options
This may sound mean but here it goes I HAVE to get this off my chest. There is a woman that sits in the cubicle next to mine. She is severely overweight maybe about 350 lbs and 5'3. Now I would never say mean things about people that are over weight but I cant help but be bothered by her eating habits. Im with her from 9-5 and here is something like how her time her might go:

Breakfast: Soda and McDonalds or burger king
Snack: Chips and another soda
Lunch: McDonalds, burger king, Wendy’s, or other fast foods
Snack: soda, donuts, candy, chocolate, chips

Now. I’m am not a clean eater at all and I am not judging by her eating habits but I find it very discouraging being around this. I almost find it repulsive to see someone so over weight eating so carelessly. Another thing is that she is always out sick, which I can attribute to her weight. I know its not my place to say anything however I’m really bothered and I really want to help out. But don’t want to offend her. What would you do?

Replies

• cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would say do nothing. People are going to do what they want to do. If someone suggested to me to change my eating habits before I was ready to, I would not have listened and I would have been very pissed off. It is up to her to change, not up to you to change her. At one point, people would have looked at my food choices and been repulsed as well. Thankfully no one said anything. People have to want to change.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I; am sure a lot of people on here will tell you that used to be them. She needs to WANT to get healthy. You need to just keep being a good example for her and as you lose weight she might want to get on board and ask you what you are doing and at that time you can help her. I don't hink bringing it up to her is wise because if she is really offended it couuld be hard to work with her or she could go to HR.
    When you see her eating those foods look at her body and know that you don't want to look like that! It's the really skinny people that eat like that that get to me!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Use her as an example. Ya know like cause and effect.
    as in:

"If I can McDonald's for lunch very day and scarf down chocolate and chips and fatty fat stuff, then I am going to end up like THAT."

And then it's an ego boost for you; all the more reason to eat healthy and work out and all that good stuff.

I'm sure if you said something to her she would either get really sad or really angry. AND then eat her emotions. And you don't want to have to deal with that at work, do you?
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Considering it's a co-worker that's a slippery slope. Are you "friends" with her? If so, I would approach it as a friend. I'm concerened for you..yadda yadda yadda. If not, I wouldn't bother, you could open up a can of "hostile environment, bullying, badgering...." whatever name you want to put on it if she decides to go to HR on you. Just my humble opinion.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's nothing worse than someone on a mission.

Just leave it. It's none of your business. Lead by example. Keep it simple.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Lead by example.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You do sound kinda mean. I'm sure you're not but what others do shouldn't be our concern. Maybe she'll see the light of health and fitness one day soon.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    1. You are inching towards an HR violation (or at least a personal boundaries violation).
    2. If you want to do something, invite her for lunch or coffee somewhere where there are more healthy options. JUST DON'T MENTION THAT'S THE REASON YOU'RE DOING IT.
    3. She probably knows she's eating like crap and that it's making her feel like crap. No need for you to add on anything to that.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Please don't do or say anything. Just don't let it bother you.

Also, you do not know if that is why she is calling in sick, it's none of your business! If anything, let her inspire you to NOT eat that way!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say do nothing. People are going to do what they want to do. If someone suggested to me to change my eating habits before I was ready to, I would not have listened and I would have been very pissed off. It is up to her to change, not up to you to change her. At one point, people would have looked at my food choices and been repulsed as well. Thankfully no one said anything. People have to want to change.
    This
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    t doesnt sound to me like you want to help,it kinda sounds like you want to sit and judge
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're nonjudgmentally judging her. You've seen what she eats often enough to know she's not eating well, but it really isn't your place to say anything about it unless she asks. Just look after yourself and maybe she'll notice your improvements health wise and want to know how you're doing it and then you can tell her to go easy on the fast food and that she'd be better served learning how to cook her own food.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You all are right!.

Its just very frustrating to see. I would be pissed if anyone said anything to me about my eating habits.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'd let her be. Like others said, she won't change if she isn't ready.
    I know how it feels, though, to want to help someone. My coworker (and friend) has decided he needs to lose weight again. So he's back on his crazy 1000 calorie diet, with the goal of burning part of that a day. He always gains it back when he eats normal again. All I can do is slip in "you should eat a bit more" type comments when he complains about being hungry or tired. But he doesn't want to hear it; he says he is at optimal weight loss when he eats 1000 calories and that's what he's going to do.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    You've got to want it. And right now, she doesn't.
    Either she'll get there or she won't - but it's not for you to say.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You're right, it's mean. Why would you feel like you should do something?
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed.

x2
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lead by example.

Chances are the woman KNOWS she is eating unhealthy, she just isnt' ready to change her habits. Nothing anyone says to her will change that (well maybe a doctor if he says her health is in danger...and sometimes not even that(.

I work with a woman is very overweight as well, and my stepdaughters Mom is 100 plus pounds overweight. Just try to be a good example, and keep it as a constant reminder of what not to do.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    t doesnt sound to me like you want to help,it kinda sounds like you want to sit and judge

No not at all.
This discussion has been closed.