I hate to sound mean but......

Options

Replies

• ralene40
    ralene40 Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am not skinny by any means but I have co-workers that are so big I dont know how they can walk or breathe! I do not like seeing them eat fattening food either. There could be lots of reasons she eats like that or maybe she just doesnt care and is happy with who she is. :smile:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    be a positive influence; you see her eat junk...that means she sees you eat healthy. All you can do is be positive, if you two are friendly invite her on a walk at lunch or simply mention how great you feel now that youre getting in shape ("isnt it a pretty day with the flowers blooming? Im so glad i can enjoy them now, my allergies arent nearly as bad now that im working out.') my dad eats horribly and makes excuses for not working out, but when i visit for the weekend i notice he eats better and is more active when he notices me opting for tea instead of soda and bathing my horse instead of watching tv. Sometimes all it takes is watching someone make it look easy.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    There is a fine line between being judgmental and being concerned. Even though your a little grossed out by her food, I think you really want to help her but just don't know how.

IMO
    Lead by example
    Start talking more about fitness around her but not in a way that you are targeting her, let her get a bug in her ear about it and have time to think about it. Give her compliments on the things she is doing right.
    Start bringing in yummy healthy food and tell her how amazing it is, give her an extra one if you got it. a 75 cent yogurt is worth it if she likes it and starts eating that instead of an extra hash brown. haha

If she starts telling you how she wants to get in shape or eat better, help her as much as you can. Only reinforce the good choices she makes and say nothing about the bad. She more then likely has low self esteem and making her feel bad is just going to make it worse and possibly make her give up.

Kids gloves with this one.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What would I do?

I would get to know her better and find opportunities to share health and nutrition with her. I'd share my own weight loss and "eating clean" struggles with her. That is what I do now and will do for the rest of my life. I would NOT just blindly do nothing.

She needs help, she needs a friend that will support her, can that person be you?

This!!! I just want to help. I constantly hear her talking about her health issues and all of that. Maybe all she needs is someone to support her? !
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of good answers. People know what they are eating now days and no that stuff like that on a regular basis is terrible for you. That lady needs to help herself. Just use her as an example of something you will never become.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I would leave it alone. It's not really any of your business to comment about her eating habits. She will change them if she decides she wants to but somebody else saying something could only cause trouble.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You do sound kinda mean. I'm sure you're not but what others do shouldn't be our concern. Maybe she'll see the light of health and fitness one day soon.

If everyone was of the opinion that 'what others do shouldn't be our concern' then I'm not sure we would be living in a very nice society

Take it to the extreme - she's on her mobile about to cross the road oblivious to the 30 ton lorry about to run her down.... do you stop her???

You find out she is suicidal - what she does it not your concern so you do nothing right?

I don't know what the answer is in this case though. Get to know her is a good start
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey do you sit next to me?? That used to be my diet. I am on a mission now to clean up. It is hard.

You would probably seriously destroy her if you said something trust me on that. If she brings the subject of food up, then I would suggest you offer up this site and offer to friend her on it and help her. Until someone is willing to change, they won't.
  • MirandaEnlightened
    Options
    This may sound mean but here it goes I HAVE to get this off my chest. There is a woman that sits in the cubicle next to mine. She is severely overweight maybe about 350 lbs and 5'3. Now I would never say mean things about people that are over weight but I cant help but be bothered by her eating habits. Im with her from 9-5 and here is something like how her time her might go:

Breakfast: Soda and McDonalds or burger king
    Snack: Chips and another soda
    Lunch: McDonalds, burger king, Wendy’s, or other fast foods
    Snack: soda, donuts, candy, chocolate, chips

Now. I’m am not a clean eater at all and I am not judging by her eating habits but I find it very discouraging being around this. I almost find it repulsive to see someone so over weight eating so carelessly. Another thing is that she is always out sick, which I can attribute to her weight. I know its not my place to say anything however I’m really bothered and I really want to help out. But don’t want to offend her. What would you do?
    You are right, it's not really your place...I know that it's hard to deal with because I work with similar 8-5 problems...the thing is, you have to allow her to be....and you have to be you. Someone on here said to use her as an example of what not to be...I say divert your attention to only those things that you want (look for people who are healthy or in shape, or happy, etc), and you will stop being bothered by her. Eventually you wont even notice it, but it's a choice to look only for the good and ignore the bad. It works for me!!!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You can't change other people. It is actually just a bad habit when we get into this kind of thinking, luckily we can change our thinking by simply being aware of it. It is okay to have these thoughts, but understand where your feelings are really coming from. Lead by example. Let her be an inspiration to you and maybe you will also inspire her. But don't judge her against what you are doing (you are different people and you can't possibly know what it is like to be her). If the smell of the food is interfering with your work (as a vegetarian I could see how nauseating it would be) then maybe I'd say something either to her or ask your boss for a cubicle change. If she asks about weight loss techniques/ideas then by all means definitely share them, but unless she asks I think it is best to keep this to yourself. I'm an atheists so this is not meant to be some christian thing but: Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Live and let live.

Mind your own business.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're jealous because you see her eating like that and not giving a ****, and you wish you could too. She probably looks at you and thinks "Ha, that poor carrot.munching suckerfish!"
    Mind your beeswax woman. That's just plain rude, a.) to judge her when you obviously barely know her, b.) when you aren't a totally clean eater either and c.) to watch her this closely and monitor her eating habits. Does your boss pay you to nose in on your co-workers? Because I would like a job there, if this is the case.

Acutally no im not jealous. I can eat those things if I chose. Dont choose to. and IM NOT WATCHING HER CLOSELY!!!! she sits RIGHT IN MY FACE. all I have to do is glance up from my computer and BAM!!!!!! Its not hard to pick up on habits when you are around a person everyday.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's not your problem. If she wants your help, she'll ask, otherwise, it's not your place to say anything--especially not to a coworker.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You say nothing because you don't want to explain to your boss or HR why you hated to sound mean, but just couldn't help yourself from being a judgmental jerk.

If you actually care about (or are friends) this woman, maybe ask her if she wants to take a walk with you at lunch or talk about some of the healthy things you are trying to incorporate into your life. Anything else is obtrusive, rude, and quite frankly, something that could get you fired.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    There's nothing worse than someone on a mission.

Just leave it. It's none of your business. Lead by example. Keep it simple.

Love This!!! It's so true. Focus on yourself....because honestly by you being "disgusted" by her eating habits you really are judging her.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't do a thing. She needs to help herself before others can help her. I'm SURE she knows eating like that it bad for her. But you never know. Maybe she has an eating problem, like eating her feelings, or she's probably bored.
  • MirandaEnlightened
    Options
    I am not judging by her eating habits but I find it very discouraging being around this.

But you are.
    I almost find it repulsive to see someone so over weight eating so carelessly.

Bottom line: It's none of your business.
    I agree....completely.
  • headofmylife
    headofmylife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would tell her about your weight lose and tell her about the website,in a girlfriend chatty kind of way. Let her know you are willing to help her when she need help. As she continues to hear your weight lose accomplishments, she will be eagered to check it out for herself. This website will help her with her eating habits, and then you all can do it together and encourage each other. LOL, now back to the real world! What was I saying....LOL! seriously, let her know each day she can set aside one of her favorite foods and still lose the weight. It just may save her life!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This may sound mean but here it goes I HAVE to get this off my chest. There is a woman that sits in the cubicle next to mine. She is severely overweight maybe about 350 lbs and 5'3. Now I would never say mean things about people that are over weight but I cant help but be bothered by her eating habits. Im with her from 9-5 and here is something like how her time her might go:

Breakfast: Soda and McDonalds or burger king
    Snack: Chips and another soda
    Lunch: McDonalds, burger king, Wendy’s, or other fast foods
    Snack: soda, donuts, candy, chocolate, chips

Now. I’m am not a clean eater at all and I am not judging by her eating habits but I find it very discouraging being around this. I almost find it repulsive to see someone so over weight eating so carelessly. Another thing is that she is always out sick, which I can attribute to her weight. I know its not my place to say anything however I’m really bothered and I really want to help out. But don’t want to offend her. What would you do?

I actually have a co-worker, same stats (maybe even higher weight), who eats like this. She has diabetes, health problems, etc... I say nothing because I used to eat gummy worms, chocolate, and all sorts of crap at my desk all day. I just love on her. Bringing it up will only embarass her and alienate her. I would be pissed if a co-worker pointed out to me when I used to eat crap all day. Her doctor is probably on her already.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    None of us here got overweight because we sat at our desk overeating salad ;)

Do nothing. It is her life, not yours.

Instead of trying to figure out a way to change her habits maybe instead spend a bit of time trying to find out why it bothers you in the first place?

Let her be a lesson to you about what happens when you live an inactive life with poor quality food.

Let youself be an example to those around you on how eating healthy and exercise can change your body and life for the better.

No words needed, let your success alone lead others if they are looking for that.

I have a simple rule that I generally try my best to keep: Don't share my opinion unless I know the other person really wants to hear it. I may sometimes break that rule on the internet now that I think about it (like in this thread for example LOL,) but in real life and *most* of the time on the internet I try to follow that advice ;)
This discussion has been closed.