Bit Embarrassing

Options
Hi Guys,

Being doing this, seriously, now for about a month and sticking to my 1200 as recommended by MFP. The only problem is I am finding that I am really constipated :blushing: . I am eating more fruit and veg than I have in a long time and trying to drink more water but nothing seems to be helping. Starting to feel really bloated and yucky. I am going to get laxatives today but don't want to do that all the time and wondered if anyone could recommend anything?

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe up your fiber intake?
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    It would be easier to advise you if we could see your food diary.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    It would be easier to advise you if we could see your food diary.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Lol bit new to this, didn't realise I had to set it for people to view. Done now, I think.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Your name is cracking me up!
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can set your diary to track fiber. That might help you get an idea of how much you are getting and if you need to adjust.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Try Psyllium Husk I take these along with my other multi vitamins
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're having enough vegetables and wholegrains and fibre.

Prunes, pears and blackberries are high in fibre. Pinto beans are (you could have a mexican themed meal with beans and burritos, lean mince, tonnes of salad etc), Peas are high etc.

I stole this from Men's Health:
    AT BREAKFAST
    1. Fill your juice glass with nectar instead of a watery juice from concentrate. Nectar is apricot, peach, pear, or papaya juice, mixed with fiber-rich pulp. It packs more than a gram (g) of fiber per 8-ounce glass.

2. Drop a whole orange into the blender to flavor your morning smoothie. (Uh, peel it first.) One orange has nearly 3 g more fiber than even the pulpiest orange juice.

3. Spice up your eggs. A third of a cup of chopped onion and a clove of garlic will add a gram of fiber to a couple of scrambled eggs. Or fold the eggs omelette-style over ? cup of cooked broccoli for 2 additional grams.

4. Heat up a bowl of oat bran instead of oatmeal; it has nearly 2 g more fiber. And add even more flavor and fiber by stirring in a quarter cup of raisins or chopped dates before nuking it.

5. Sprinkle toasted wheat germ over your favorite cold cereal, or stir a few spoonfuls into yogurt. Two tablespoons equals close to 2 extra grams of fiber.

6. Grab an Asian pear instead of the regular kind. They taste similar, but the Asian variety has significantly more fiber--4 g per pear.

7. Buy spreadable fiber, a.k.a. almond butter, for your whole-wheat toast. Two tablespoons adds a couple of grams of fiber, along with a healthy dose of heart-protecting fats and vitamins like E.

8. Whip up a pack of hot-chocolate mix instead of a second cup of coffee. Most instant-cocoa mixes have up to 3 g fiber per cup.

AT LUNCH
    9. Hate whole wheat? Make your sandwiches with rye bread. One slice has almost 2 g fiber--twice the amount found in white bread.

10. Opt for burritos instead of tacos. Flour tortillas have more fiber than taco shells. Even better, make the burrito whole wheat for still more fiber per serving.

11. And order that burrito with meat and beans instead of meat alone. Half a cup of beans adds 6 g fiber to your meal.

12. Stow some microwavable soup in your desk for when you need to work through lunch. Lentil, chili with beans, ham-and-bean, and black-bean each have between 6 and 10 g fiber per cup.

13. Shower your pizza with oregano or basil. A teaspoon of either spice gives you an extra gram of fiber. Order it with mushrooms and you'll get one more.

14. Build your burger with a sesame-seed bun instead of the plain variety. Sesame seeds add half a gram of fiber per burger.

15. Order your dog with sauerkraut. Every quarter cup you pile on adds close to a gram of fiber to your frank.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try Activia yogurt!
  • Poods71
    Options
    Your name is cracking me up!

Took me a while to work out what you meant :laugh:
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you tried javing bran flakes for breakfast?
  • Poods71
    Options
    Thanks for that. There are some things in the list I didn't realize were good for fibre, so need to give some of them a try.
  • Poods71
    Options
    Try Activia yogurt!

I did try Activia but I am not a massive yoghut fan and I probably didn't give it long enough lol.
  • LizzCallahan
    LizzCallahan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Skip the laxative - yuck. Try a stool softener. It has a similar effect, minus the explosive diarrhea.

When I was pregnant, I got anemic and they made me take approximately 5 billion grams of iron a day.
    Try pooping iron turds - not so fun.
    Stool softeners became my best friend.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without seeing what you eat. First, make sure you are drinking enough. Dehydration can cause that sort of problem. Also be sure you are eating enough healthy fats. When I tried the low fat thing my body seriously objected. Anything less than about 35g of fat per day and I have bloating and constipation issues. So you may need to experiment with what you are eating. Also walking, or really any exercise, can help.
  • Poods71
    Options
    Have you tried javing bran flakes for breakfast?

Not really a fan of cereal in the morning. Only have time to grab a slice of toast as I am too busy getting kids sorted lol. I did used to have Bran Flakes for lunch, but to get a decent amount you have to double up and it ups the calories quite a lot (30g portion is measly lol). Might go back to that though as I don't want to end up like my dad who now has diverticulitus and he was always constipated like me.

I was going to try upping my calories a bit so think I will start having the Bran Flakes again and try some of the other suggestions too :smile:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honestly go get fiber bars and eat on every day and you will open the flood gates!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I tried everything, and the only thing that really helped was coffee.
  • gthicks
    gthicks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try some Smooth Move tea, you drink it in the evening before you go to bed. I found it in My Organic Market.
  • Poods71
    Options
    Skip the laxative - yuck. Try a stool softener. It has a similar effect, minus the explosive diarrhea.

When I was pregnant, I got anemic and they made me take approximately 5 billion grams of iron a day.
    Try pooping iron turds - not so fun.
    Stool softeners became my best friend.

Ye, I get Anemic quite a lot and have to take iron tablets but the stool softeners are rubbish. I have taken them before and they had no effect but I gave them another try this time two nights in a row and still nothing. Explosive diarrhea would be a relief right now :laugh: