anyone have any luck finding a natural appetite suppresant

Options
124»

Replies

• gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Herbalife has one called "Total Control" and I found another "Green coffee bean extract". Both work well.
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sea kelp is a complex carbohydrate which keeps your blood sugar levels steady so should help with your appetite.
    It is readily available in tablet form from health food stores.

I've never used it for supprerssing my appetite but had reason to take the tablets a few years ago after an illness and I found I had more energy and was less interested in food for the duration I took the tablets.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Exercise really is great. I find I can't eat ANYWHERE as much when I exercise. I don't have the desire to snack, and during meals, I can only eat half of what I normally eat. Then again, I sweat so much when I work out and feel so thirsty that I end up guzzling water, which is probably the real culprit of my loss of appetite. So... water! :D

Also, I just saw my doctor, and he asked me what my worst problem with dieting was. I told him I have a killer sweet tooth. He told me to take chromium magnesium. It's a natural supplement... so I don't know if that's really what you were intending, but maybe it's worth looking into!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ephedra sulfate or caffeine... not very natural tho.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Water before and during a meal. 3 cups in the morning hours, 1 before morning tea break, 1 during, same at lunch, etc. Less of an evening makes for fewer trips through the night - and a better sleep. If you are like I was and couldn't handle water, add things to it - lemon, lime; make it hot water (as in boiled for cofee / tea), or mint leaves, etc. Chewing low calorie mints before the water makes it better too
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Ever since I started eating 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein (which is much higher protein than I used to eat) my appetite has been dramatically reduced. That is a miracle for me, usually NOTHING defeats my appetite.
  • willy79
    willy79 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi I'm just new to the forum. I've had a look through fat burners. They cant have stimulants added or non stimulants at all. If your wanting to loss fat by not eating so much, these might help you. About half the ones I've seen contain natural appetite surpressants. They range from really hardcore, where you can eat what you want, to less powerful, to aid a good diet. As per usual, different people find different results. So be careful if you decide to use these as they can be expensive. Hope this helps
  • azza_aesthetics
    Options
    sorry to butt in, im new here, when im in my cutting phase. i use vinegar as an appetite suppresant. ill drown my mackeral or salmon in vinegar and it really does stop me from getting hungry because it repeats on me all night . handy for after my 6-7 pm eating rule x
  • self_control
    Options
    drink warm water. it makes you feel full
  • empenTen
    empenTen Posts: 29
    Options
    There was an experiment that proved that if you blitzed your meal and added a glass of water to make a thick soup it keeps you fuller for longer. In the experiment one group ate a serving of chicken,rice and veg with a glass of water and were hungry again (and ultrasound scans proved their stomachs were empty) after 2 hours. The other group had exactly the same food but as a thick soup, in the scan they were still satisfied 4 hours later and their stomachs still contained some food.

It was all due to the way the food is processed.

I tried it this afternoon by eating home made veg soup (massive portion for 100 cals) and I was genuinely stuffed all afternoon - appetite suppressed!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Coffee works for me

this

and exercise strangely enough

Not the coffee since I don't like it and I don't drink caffeine (or rarely drink it) but I notice when I exercise I don't usually eat all my calories. I've been under by huge amounts all week but I'll probably make up for it this weekend :laugh:
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    cinnamon is meant to :) I usually make some in a drink or sprinkle some on my cereal or yoghurt :)
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    I drink tea - not any kind of "dieter's tea" but any kind of herbal tea. I make a big thermal carafe of it and when I feel hungry I drink a cup or two and it fills me up. I also try to drink a cup or two before meals. I like Yogi teas - Perfect Energy got me through my bar exam studies, and the Kava Stress Relief is good too.

Bonus - counts towards your water consumption.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I did the leptin reset and it really helped. I only did it for a few weeks (like 4) and the effects are still lasting and it's 6 months later. It's not easy to stick to at first, but it worked for me.

http://jackkruse.com/easy-start-guide/
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a topic here about the gross things people have found in their food. Read it and if that doesn't suppress your appetite, nothing will! :noway:
  • DaSmoova
    DaSmoova Posts: 1
    Options
    Yea bro, its called food. I'm sorry to be a jerk, don't take it personally. But you have to eat. Eat clean and exercise. The goal should not be eating less to allow yourself to do less. Balance, good clean food with some exercise. Don't mess with this stuff. Protein is filling, and whole grains. Things like Oatmeal, healthy cereal and rice. All very low in calories, keep you full for a while. Let me know if I can be of more help, i promise I won't be sarcastic anymore :)
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Grapeseed oil. I've read about just taking 2 teaspoons of it before a meal, but I imagine that doesn't taste good, so alot of times I just use it cooking in place of other oils.
  • mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Avoid sweet food. For me this seems to be the biggest determining factor of causing hunger. Typically I'll have eggs & bacon for breakfast (@6am) and coffee w/cream & coconut oil. If I add a little honey to my coffee I'll get hungry around 11am. If I avoid the honey I could easily forget about food until 12-1pm.
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    mega t green tea makes an appetite suppresant.... they are actually called dietary supplements..... they work well and they help shed pounds... you can find them at your local wal mart, or you can google it and buy them right from the mega t website....

ive used them before and i lost 20 pounds in like 3 weeks it was nice and i had no side effects at all, and it is fairly cheap...
  • naiauhane
    naiauhane Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN! And make sure to eat some of the protein at the start of your meal before anything else; it's supposed to help stablize your blood sugar (so said my sister's doctor and a nutritionist I've seen). My nutritionist recommends at least 20g of protein per meal. Fats are important too. We need fat to survive, even healthily-sourced saturated fats. Make sure you have enough fat in each meal. They're necessary for proper nutrient absorption from your fruit and veggies too. Limit sugar. Sugar seems to beget sugar. Aim for natural sugars, not processed ones. Stop drinking soda, juice, etc.

Make sure you're eating enough calories at each meal, over the day, and for the level of activity you're doing. Same with drinking enough water. Many people underestimate the number of calories they should eat. Typical guidelines when you're trying for weightloss will recommend things like limiting calories. However, when you're active, you can't be limiting your calorie intake too much otherwise you won't have enough calories to burn for energy. You'll get sluggish, and you could wind up with sugar cravings, carb cravings, hunger pains, etc. because your body actually does need more calories. Water is important too. It's a necessary component to function properly. Not having enough water could make you tired too, or sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. You need to increase your water intake when exercising to account for sweat loss. I'm studying for a personal training certification right now and the suggested water intake while exercising that is taught is 17-20oz in the 2 hours before exercise, 7-10oz every 10-20 minutes during exercise (but base it more on how much you're sweating or how thirsty you feel), and 16-24oz for every pound of water weight lost after exercise.

Eating regularly and being prepared with healthy snacks for when hunger strikes will help keep you reaching for whatever junk might be on hand. Oh and in a pinch I used to take a tablespoon of that refrigerated flax oil. I would add the flax to my smoothies but sometimes I woke up late and had to run and just the flax alone would stick with me for a decent amount of time without me feeling crappy.

All that being said and without knowing more about your situation, Yogi Tea makes a Slim Life line of teas that have herbal ingredients to help suppress your appetite. The Green Tea one that's been sitting at my work since (wow!) before the best buy March 2010 date says it has garcinia in it for suppression. There are 16 tea bags in a box and I think they're around $5 a box. In Seattle Yogi Tea is usually sold in stores that have some sort of natural foods section (so big box stores usually have Yogi). I know there's an herbal one too and I believe the directions say you can keep resteeping the same bag all day. I wouldn't do that with the Green Tea flavor though as green tea turns bitter when oversteeping. I think I liked the herbal one better which is why the herbal one is all gone and the green tea one is still rotting away in my desk drawer. I'm not a green tea drinker though. I like black.

Also, my homeopathic nutritionist used to have me take chromium and glutamine for blood sugar regulation/preventing cravings (I think diabetics often take the chromium). I bought them from Super Supplements in Seattle area; they have an online store too.

I'd have to look it up, as I can't remember what my nutritionist told me about what to take or eat to stabilize different cravings, but if you pay attention to your cravings you might be able to figure out what's lacking. Like if you regularly crave oily, fatty foods, or sugary foods, or chocolate, or salt, etc. If you're interested, I can try to find the info. Or you can try researching on the Net.

Personally, once I started eating at least 20g of protein per meal, I stopped feeling snacky all the time. I eat breakfast at roughly 9am, lunch around 1pm, a snack around 4pm to get me through the commute home, dinner around 6/7pm, and I may have a second dinner (usually a 400 calorie smoothie) around 10pm (post-workout) on nights when I workout. And I add a little saturated fat to each meal too with things like whole fat canned coconut milk in my smoothies, avocado in my lunch salads, and coconut oil "buttering" something at dinner. The protein got my hunger cycle going like clockwork and pretty much eliminated cravings. Which means my Yogi Tea is going to continue rotting in my desk for another 3 years or so.

And whatever you're working on, know it'll get easier over time. You'll keep building on your dietary and lifestyle changes and you'll find things you thought were hard to adhere to in the past are now second nature.