What do you Consider Actual Weight Loss vs Fluctuation?

Options

Replies

• ultim8fury
    ultim8fury Posts: 42
    Options
    I weigh in Kg to the nearest 100g although the scale will do 50g supposedly.

I weigh in on the iPhone app daily regardless of results If it's up I try harder if it's down then great. From what I can tell it only updates my wall once a week so I don't feel like I'm spamming the people who've friended me.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week and try to log both. Whether it's a loss, gain or maintain. Every little bit counts. And for me, it’s often more about reflecting on my eating habits that week than just the number on the scale. I consider it a “gain” if I’m up 2 lbs. It’s a “loss” if it’s anything at all lol- 0.1 lbs. is a victory to me.

Different strokes:flowerforyou:
  • BogusAnnie
    Options
    If .2 or .1 motivates a person to keep chuggin ahead then i congradulate. For some people the most miniscule loss is a victory. I support them. I will congradulate- loss is loss. I can tell you one thing, if every few days .2 or .1 adds up. fcol.:huh: :huh:

GREAT WORK!!! I weigh every day and post ALL changes so when it shows I go down...I am going down...I like to see every small victory as it motivates me huge!
    Besides you won't know it's a fluctuation right away anyway...something you THINK is a fluctuation may actually BE a loss.
    I think everybody is different as to what they need to see.
  • jnhinshaw
    jnhinshaw Posts: 8
    Options
    i dont weigh myself as often as i should because i dnt loose as much or as quickly as i wish i could i look and dnt see a difference so i get discouraged i do zumba w/ weights so im loosing fat and gaining muscle which is good but also bad cuz it makes me think im not doing something right or enough last time i weighed myself was about 3-4 months ago and ive only lost 3lbs :ohwell: but ive toned up my legs and arms but havent lost anywhere else yet.....
  • simatif
    simatif Posts: 32
    Options
    I won't bother to post anything less than a pound. I do see people who will post 0.2 pounds and even 0.1 pounds as losses. I don't feel we can be that accurate. For me that's maintaining and simply normal fluctuations.

I also never congratulate a loss of under a half pound. This may sound gross but you can poop and change your weight by that.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

BHAHAHHAHHAHAH!! so funny, only cause my weigh in is Monday, and i weigh before a poop, and after, LOL, sometimes there's a good 2 lbs gone HA! I usually consider it a loss, if i see the number more than 1 full week ( i get on the scale more than just Mondays)
  • slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What could possibly cause your weight to go down and be something other than genuine weight loss though? I can understand how some things can make your weight temporarily go up, but what else could make your weight go down? Yes you can do a nice big poo and as a result weigh less, but that's meant to leave our body anyway meaning that lower weight is what weight you actually are at that time, and if it's the lowest you've weighed then that happens to be the lowest you are, not something you should just assume is a fluctation.

If we weigh a bit more with a poo in us, are we meant to take that number and believe it is our genuine weight at the time? It just makes sense to me that the lowest number you see on the scale is just the lowest weight you are at that time. I could be wrong and I would really like someone to explain why if I am indeed wrong!!

I understand people logging a loss of 0.1 or 0.2 pounds might seem a bit odd but maybe people would rather log tiny significant losses than log large fluctuations that aren't representative of their true weight?
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    For me i count it if its 1lbs or more, but an actual weight lose would be 2lbs or more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In my crazy brain, my weight only fluctuates up, not down. :laugh:

So I recorded any loss that happens on my weigh-in day, providing it was under normal circumstances (ie, I'm not going to log a weight loss caused by a stomach flu, nor will I weigh myself and log it after I run and sweat off a few pounds). And I'll record a gain if hangs in there longer than a week or so.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    The best way to weigh in accurately, I've talked to a dr!, is to weigh yourself '2nd' thing in the morning.. get up, go potty.. Don't eat or drink anything.. weigh yourself then. Nothing in yet, and everything is out. That is the best time to do it..
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think that you should ALWAYS log a loss that you see on the scale. Whether it's .1lb or 5lbs. But I wouldn't log an upward fluctuation greater than 4-5lbs because I know it's water weight.

Here's why: Your weight on the scale can't fluctuate down past your actual body weight. Only upward. Your lowest point is closest to your actual body weight. Therefore, that's the trend you should be looking at.

I completely agree. Your weight cannot be less than you actually weigh, so why not log it as a loss? Why wait until the same number hits a few days in a row?
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I record my weight at the beginning of every week after I get off work and hit the gym, regardless of the number. I weigh on the scale in the gym and it only adjusts to the .5 pound mark. While I am usually happy when I see a loss, regardless of the actual reason behind it, I'm typically skeptical of it until I see an additional loss the next week. Then I know it was a real loss and not simple fluctuation. It's all about the big picture!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do not post anything less than a pound loss. Furthermore, I have to have it on the scale for at least 2 days before I will post it.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I won't bother to post anything less than a pound. I do see people who will post 0.2 pounds and even 0.1 pounds as losses. I don't feel we can be that accurate. For me that's maintaining and simply normal fluctuations.

I also never congratulate a loss of under a half pound. This may sound gross but you can poop and change your weight by that.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

^ I agree 100%
    I wont post ne thing under a pound loss. and I also dont congratulate anything under a pound loss.
    lol and that was gross hahahahahahahaha
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I think that you should ALWAYS log a loss that you see on the scale. Whether it's .1lb or 5lbs. But I wouldn't log an upward fluctuation greater than 4-5lbs because I know it's water weight.

Here's why: Your weight on the scale can't fluctuate down past your actual body weight. Only upward. Your lowest point is closest to your actual body weight. Therefore, that's the trend you should be looking at.

voice of reason!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I step in the scale once a week. If it says I'm down .2 than I'm down .2. O don't weigh myself every day so is it a fluctuation... Maybe but I really don't care as long as the scale goes down I'm happy
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I weigh each day and log on a separate sheet. I only have 7lbs to go, and am at 1/2lb loss / week, so a weekly loss of 0.2 or 0.1 of a lb is significant to me.

As someone beat me to it on here, on MFP, it's weightloss if it goes down, fluctuation If it goes up!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is my normal morning routine:

Get out of bed, pee, weigh myself naked. (that way i KNOW it's not just heavier clothes or a full bladder!) Then I post my weight. My progress graph looks like a squiggly staircase but it IS going down!

But on Tuesday I started 30 Day Shred and supposedly it makes you lose inches but maybe not weight (muscle is heavy, yo) so I got my boyfriend to hide the scale until I'm done. But he didn't do a very good job and I found it yesterday and I was up 4 lbs since last week! LAME. Needless to say, I didn't post that weight increase; I didn't have the heart :(
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My thought is that I pick a day of the week and time to weigh in and whatever it is is what I post. I always weigh on Wednesday morning, no clothes, before breakfast and - preferably - after using the bathroom. If the scale says I lost 0.2, I post that. I don't consider all the fluctuations that I see if I happen to peek at the scale at a different time of day or a different day of the week.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I look at the scales daily but log only once a week for a more accurate result-- luckily I dont fluctuate usually! :)

Ill log any number of loss, or gain on my friday weigh-in
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I log every day regardless of gain or loss. For me, I consider something to be an actual loss if I've been at or below that number for 3 consecutive days. For example, today I weighed in at 169.4 for the first time. If I weigh in at less than 170 the next two days I will consider myself to weigh 170.