What do you Consider Actual Weight Loss vs Fluctuation?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I log a loss whenever I know I am in the position to get the most accurate number, usually the morning after a rest day. It depends on the last time I exercised (if I have fluid retention in my muscles) how much carbs and sodium I had the previous few days, and my TOM.

I won't log, or even weigh myself when I had a really hard work out the day before, or a carb binge or sodium heavy day because I know the scale will reflect that, in my experience. It has helped me a lot to know these things can affect the number on the scale greatly and mask a REAL loss, so I don't get as disappointed if the number is the same or higher than last weigh-in.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    didgital scale only works in 0.5 lbs. incraments.....I only record the lowest number I get in the morning on the weekend. My weight can fluctuate up to about 10 lbs over the week and 5lbs over any given day.

I've noticed a similar volatility in my daily weighing (and I'm even a relatively scrawny guy)...but careful, there are people on MFP that would claim this is impossible.

Oh, and I enter what the scale says. Period. However, I am not at all any happier or sadder because of a one day change in scale weight. For that matter, I am not any happier or sadder based on a scale weight change...well, ever. (My wife has never looked across the room at me and said (or thought), I bet when he steps on a scale, it says 162 pounds...and I want that).
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't count the .x or whatever. I only go with the first 3 numbers and enter that as my weight. The .x lbs don't really matter much.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If my weight goes down it's a loss.....if it goes up it's a fluctuation :bigsmile:

Absolutely! :)

Seeing the slowish but ever downward trend on my progress graph keeps my morale up!

And I'll post a half pound loss with a smile on my face. Yep.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, if I see a lower # than I have seen before then I "consider" it a loss. but, I restrain myself from changing my weight on here more than once a week.. I don't log it on here every morning or 2-3 days that I dropped .2 lbs.. I just make a mental note of that weight.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    If I get a lower weight than my lowest recorded weight, I record it. Even if it is a fluctuation, you'll only fluctuate within a certain range so to fluctuate lower I must have lost some.

I weigh myself 2-3 times when I weigh and a drop only counts if I get the same number twice. The 2-3 weighs are because the scale can fluctuate a bit, not by much, so I take whatever I see the same number of twice on the same day.
  • dianelamb
    dianelamb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have stayed at almost same weight for months was getting really fed up until I started measuring my waist. No weight loss but masses of cms down!!