Gun for conceal / carry

Options
callmeBAM
callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
There are so many options I am seeking all of the input I can get.

1) Revolver or semi-auto pistol?
2) Caliber?
3) Brands?

So, I plan to carry some, so I want it to be easily hidden and comfortable. I am a pretty good shot, so I'm guessing caliber isn't too important? I mean, I don't want a .22 or anything, but a .357 might be overkill.
I also want something easy to disassemble and clean. My Ruger Mark III was a ***** to work with because of all of it's "safety" features. That's why I sold it last year.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I am building a Google Doc from conversations had here, on facebook, email, in person, etc so I can really narrow it down to 3-4 guns so I'm not stabbing in the dark when I go shopping.

Replies

• callmeBAM
    Options
    Some guns that have been suggested so far:

Springfield XDM
    Walther P99
    S&W M&P
    Sig Sauer P229
    H&K 45
    Glock 19
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Taurus Millenium Pro. Fits in a pocket holster but still hold 12 rounds. 9mm because the ammo's less expensive. I wouldn't go smaller than that.

I'm really liking the Beretta PX4 for a larger piece.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    Taurus Millenium Pro. Fits in a pocket holster but still hold 12 rounds. 9mm because the ammo's less expensive. I wouldn't go smaller than that.

I'm really liking the Beretta PX4 for a larger piece.

Thanks! Added to my list. Yeah, I hear a lot of people recommend 9mm for that reason.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Some things to consider:
    1: Revolvers never fail but, you are limited to the number of rounds and they are bulky
    2: Semi Automatics are sleek and easy to carry. Up to 15 rounds but, can(will) jam and you have to carry one in the chamber to be fast
    3: While large caliber firearms are a "people stopper", you also have to consider the fact that there is a pretty good chance you will miss your first shot. If you have never shot a human before, it is nothing like what you see on Television. You need to consider how much damage that heavy round will do to the kid three blocks away.

You said you don't want to carry a .22
    How come you have eliminated it?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you will carry.

Find one that is:
    Reliable
    Not too big/heavy/bulky
    fits comfortably in your hand
    doesn't have any levers or anything to snag when you draw
    one that is worn/concealed comfortably
    Something you can aim and shoot comfortably. (everybody seems to think that the bigger the caliber, the better the gun. Be honest with yourself. If you don't shoot a tight fast group with a .45, there is no shame in a 9mm. Get the RIGHT GUN FOR YOU)

There is a lot of debate about caliber/semi or revolver/ etc but ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I am a bigger guy, and i found an awesome IWB holster, (crossbreed holsters) so i usually go with my mid-size semi-auto.
  • callmeBAM
    Options

thanks for all the info (I didn't quote), very helpful and good points.

Why not a 22... i'm open minded, convince me! :P
    maybe a 22 would be good to carry as a secondary firearm, or in certain situations. I wouldn't want it for home defense though. right?

I also carry for self defense in the wild. I have shot my fair share of big snakes due to the nature of my occupation.

Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Some guns that have been suggested so far:

Springfield XDM
    Walther P99
    S&W M&P
    Sig Sauer P229
    H&K 45
    Glock 19
    I like them all! Try finding a local gun shop that rents guns, or a friend who owns one, so you can try each one out.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    Something you can aim and shoot comfortably. (everybody seems to think that the bigger the caliber, the better the gun. Be honest with yourself. If you don't shoot a tight fast group with a .45, there is no shame in a 9mm. Get the RIGHT GUN FOR YOU)

I have a lot of ligament and joint damage in both hands from cage fighting... ok, softball, basketball... but still I have weakened hands unfortunately. So that is good to consider.

I did my CC training with my dad's S&W .38 Special from the 70's. It was a lot for me to handle after 40 rounds. My hand was worn out.
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of my Smith & Wesson M&P Compact. (40 cal)
    It fits my small girly hand.
  • Rocbola
    Options

maybe a 22 would be good to carry as a secondary firearm, or in certain situations. I wouldn't want it for home defense though. right?

I also carry for self defense in the wild. I have shot my fair share of big snakes due to the nature of my occupation.

Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)
    The judge! I was thinking that would be a good snake gun, too! And a good home defense gun to keep around.

A 22 can be a nice pocket gun. Easy to conceal in the summer when you are riding your bike or jogging, and don't want all that weight.

Defense in the wild: skip the 22.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Kel Tec p3at or p32
    Glock 19

The Kel Tec p3at is what I've started carrying when I run.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options
    I absolutely love my Gen3 G19. Reliable, accurate, easy as hell to clean and maintain.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I normally carry my S&W Model 642 Airweight .38.

It's extremely light - it doesn't even feel like I'm carrying - and I like the reliability of a revolver. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it in self-defense, but if I do, I like knowing that it's going to fire. There's always the chance that a semi-auto is going to jam.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    I normally carry my S&W Model 642 Airweight .38.

It's extremely light - it doesn't even feel like I'm carrying - and I like the reliability of a revolver. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it in self-defense, but if I do, I like knowing that it's going to fire. There's always the chance that a semi-auto is going to jam.

the airweight, that has the concealed hammer right?
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    I absolutely love my Gen3 G19. Reliable, accurate, easy as hell to clean and maintain.

You are the second person to explicitly say the GEN 3 (as opposed to Gen 4) ... maybe can find one used...
  • digitalbill
    Options

Hello Bam.
    Personally, I carry 1 small (pocket) .22 at all times. I like it because
    1: It is smaller then my cell phone easy to conceal)
    2: It is a revolver (never fails)
    3: it is still a people stopper.
    My only complaint with it is that it is a bit difficult to shoot because of the small size. As I mentioned, I carry it EVERYWHERE including places that I could not physically carry something bigger (like the beach or bike riding or work).
    Many people will tell you that the .22 does not have enough stopping power and, if we were in Iraq, I would agree however, from 5-7 feet away, it WILL kill a human.
    Now, in case you are wondering, I also carry a full size 9MM when I am able to. My complaint with that one is that it is a physically large weapon and therefore I have to pre-plan what clothing I am going to be wearing before I can carry that one. I could have gone with a compact but, the larger frame is easier for me to shoot.
    And finally, I have my Fathers old .357 police special that I keep in the car. That is almost impossible to carry without being obvious.
    The .357 is also my first line home defense weapon (I don't leave it in the car). My logic with that is that at 3:00 in the mornijg, even if my first shot misses a bad guy, hopefully the 4 ft flame from the Magnum will convince him that he should find a softer target and quite honestly, if I have not hit the guy within six shots, I might want to consider getting a claymore mine or something for the doorway.
    You mentioned a pistol for the woods also.
    My Father owns a "Judge" which shoots either a .45 or a .410
    That seems like a perfect woods gun for me. You can get snakeshot for the .45 and either keep slugs or buckshot for the .410 rounds.
    Also, you can get shakeshot for the .357 and the .22 either in long (which I carry) or for the .22 Magnum.
    I am not sure if you can get it for the 9mm or not.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options

You are the second person to explicitly say the GEN 3 (as opposed to Gen 4) ... maybe can find one used...
    I own a Gen4 G22 and while I like shooting it, the grip and function of the 3 just feels better. I bought mine used 6 years ago for 400 bucks.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    LOVE GUNSSS!!

Fave to shoot - AR15
  • digitalbill
    Options
    LOVE GUNSSS!!

Fave to shoot - AR15
    Jenna,
    The AR-15/M-16 is really hard to conceal.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Big gun fan here.

I have a .38 that I haven't shot yet. My husband has a Taurus Ultralight .38 which is very light and comfortable to wear (I've worn it when I walked the dog). I agree that a .38 is a bit more reliable than a semi-automatic as far as misfiring goes however I have had misfires with a .38. With ours we typically keep one chamber empty so there are no "accidental" firings.

*sigh* Now I want to go take all my guns to a shooting range and just open fire. There is nothing like the sound of gun fire and the smell of gun powder.
This discussion has been closed.