Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I've got a Beretta PX4 Storm. And get certified with an automatic. If you certify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. Automatic certified means you can carry either or.

my DH has one and I have to say he loves it and its pretty sweet. I have a springfield XD40 subcompact. love it! fits nicely in my hand,
  • MrEyeCandy
    MrEyeCandy Posts: 15
    Options
    Lots of great info here. We (wife and I) finally decided on a Judge for home protection. Personal defense rounds should clear the hall just fine without too much trouble. Haven't decided on cc weapon yet.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Come to Indiana. We offer lifetime license to carry concealed for about $100.00, we also have legalized open carry as long as you have the LTCH. No state run training required.

We have very little gun crime except in Indy, Ft. Wayne, Gary, and maybe Terre Haute and Evansville and about 95% of that is gang or drug related.

In Indiana it is legal to use deadly force to protect your property and life. Home invasions don't happen around here very often. possibly because the bad guys know they're likely to get shot.

If I only had one handgun, I would want a revolver. They don't jam, ever. My wife likes her hamerless 38 special Tauras. No pesky hammer to catch on things in your purse. When i carry, which isn't that often, it's a full frame 9mm Ruger P89.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My final comment on this subject which I feel has no place on a fitness website - http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    This whole post is surreal! ... And scary! It's generally unheard of to carry a gun in Australia unless your a Police Officer or a criminal!!
    I agree that it's scary. People's minds seem to go right to deadly force. It's such a foreign concept to me, and I am an American, born and raised.
    Actually, both of you make excellent points.
    "Unless you are a police oficer or a criminal".
    This means that your averalge, law abaiding citizen is at the mercy of the gun carrying criminal UNLESS there happens to be a police officer standing right next to you.
    Since that is usually not the case, I feel that I have the obligation to protect myself and my family against these gun toting criminals.
    However, not worry ladies, IF I see a criminal attacking either one of you, I can assure you that I will do everything in MY power to stop the attack.
    We will both give statements to the police once they arrive on scene.
  • obeserat
    Options
    This whole post is surreal! ... And scary! It's generally unheard of to carry a gun in Australia unless your a Police Officer or a criminal!!
    I agree that it's scary. People's minds seem to go right to deadly force. It's such a foreign concept to me, and I am an American, born and raised.
    This means that your averalge, law abaiding citizen is at the mercy of the gun carrying criminal UNLESS there happens to be a police officer standing right next to you.
    Since that is usually not the case, I feel that I have the obligation to protect myself and my family against these gun toting criminals.
    However, not worry ladies, IF I see a criminal attacking either one of you, I can assure you that I will do everything in MY power to stop the attack.

In uk police don't carry guns, its illegal and very difficult to get a gun. As a result firearm deaths per year averages about 40 as oppose to the U.S. which has more than 36000 firearm related deaths per year
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Quick note on your decision to carry (true story this weekend).
    As I mentioned, I carry buth a "mini" .22 revolver and a S&W full size 9MM.
    Now, the semi automatic has kind of a heavy slide. I never have it much thought until Saturday night.
    (Bear with me as this is long winded).
    I brought my little Chevrolet to my shop to install a trailer hitch (to carry a bike rack = fitness related).
    While I was waiting for the exhaust to cool down, I decided to go ahead and break down/clean the 9MM as it needed it.
    So, I unloaded it and went ahead and broke it down, cleaned it, and put it back together.
    I put the magazine back in however, I did NOT put one in the chamber yet.
    So, I started to work on the car and, in the process, I dropped the stupid trailer hitch I was installing. It caught my left hand between the hitch and the car lift, basically crushing it. No broken bones but in instantly swelled up and made it VERY painful to move at all.
    Anyway, I had to call a friend to help me complete the install.
    Once it was done and I was ready to leave, I grabbed the pistol and tried to slide the chamber in order to have it ready to fire and, I could not grab it hard enough to load it.
    Because of the damage to my hand, I was unable to load my semi automatic.
    I tried to switch hands but I could not hold it with my left.

This is just one more thing to think about when making your decision I suppose.
    Now, I spoke to my Dad about this last night and he had mentioned that the 1911 .45 does not have that problem. He was actually able to slide it back with two fingers AND with only using one hand. He would put his index finger BEHIND the trigger and then using his thumb and middle finger, he could work the slide.
    Anway, when shopping for a semi, you might want to consider how "heavy" the action is and if you could load it with a damaged hand.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Can we get this thread back on track? He was asking for information about which firearm he should choose to carry for CCW. I hate it when people hijack threads. He has already made the decision to obtain a CCW permit, as is his right in the USA. He was not asking for opinions on why he should carry. Don't make this into a political platform or give personal opinions on gun control.

If you want to discuss those things make a new forum topic.
  • digitalbill
    Options

In uk police don't carry guns, its illegal and very difficult to get a gun. As a result firearm deaths per year averages about 40 as oppose to the U.S. which has more than 36000 firearm related deaths per year

Wow....
    I don't know where you got your numbers but, in 2009, (the latest I was able to find), there were 138 firearm homicides in the UK.
    While that is a low number I suppose it would suck if your family member was one of those 138.
    Even worse if there was some way that YOU could have prevented it.
    By the way, your homicide rate is still at 1.3% but, I guess good old stabbings and beating to death is the way to go.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    There are so many options I am seeking all of the input I can get.

1) Revolver or semi-auto pistol?
    2) Caliber?
    3) Brands?

So, I plan to carry some, so I want it to be easily hidden and comfortable. I am a pretty good shot, so I'm guessing caliber isn't too important? I mean, I don't want a .22 or anything, but a .357 might be overkill.
    I also want something easy to disassemble and clean. My Ruger Mark III was a ***** to work with because of all of it's "safety" features. That's why I sold it last year.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I am building a Google Doc from conversations had here, on facebook, email, in person, etc so I can really narrow it down to 3-4 guns so I'm not stabbing in the dark when I go shopping.

Why do you want a gun to carry?
  • obeserat
    Options

Wow....
    I don't know where you got your numbers but, in 2009, (the latest I was able to find), there were 138 firearm homicides in the UK.
    While that is a low number I suppose it would suck if your family member was one of those 138.
    Even worse if there was some way that YOU could have prevented it.
    By the way, your homicide rate is still at 1.3% but, I guess good old stabbings and beating to death is the way to go.
    Figures quite a bit out for U.S. still a lot though . what staggers me is in 2005 there were 789 unintentional gun related deaths in the U.S.

41 homicides in 2009 in the u.k. - http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/england-and-wales
    Figures taken from, - UNODC. 2011. ‘Homicide in 207 Countries - England and Wales.’ Global Study on Homicide 2011: Trends, Context, Data; Statistical Annex (with online datasets), pp. 103-125. Vienna: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. 6 October.
  • obeserat
    Options
    Can we get this thread back on track? He was asking for information about which firearm he should choose to carry for CCW. I hate it when people hijack threads. He has already made the decision to obtain a CCW permit, as is his right in the USA. He was not asking for opinions on why he should carry. Don't make this into a political platform or give personal opinions on gun control.

It shouldn't be on a fitness website anyway
  • digitalbill
    Options

Sure it should.
    Bullet holes are bad for your health.
    Protecting your family is GOOD for your overall fitness.
    But, if you don't want to read about Americans protecting themselfs from criminals, simply don't click on the link.
  • obeserat
    Options

Sure it should.
    But, if you don't want to read about Americans protecting themselfs from criminals, simply don't click on the link.

But by carrying a gun you are 4-5 times more likely to get a hole in yourself possibly a few stray bullets for your family. I have reported this thread so hopefully a moderator will see fit to remove it.
  • digitalbill
    Options

Sure it should.

But by carrying a gun you are 4-5 times more likely to get a hole in yourself possibly a few stray bullets for your family. I have reported this thread so hopefully a moderator will see fit to remove it.
    Maybe YOU are more likely to get yourself shot however, I am considered "trained" in firearm useage.

And trying to get a thread locked because YOU don't agree with it?
    Way to go sport.
    It looks like living in a nanny state agrees with you.
  • obeserat
    Options
    Just has no place here
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I carry a Taurus model 605 .357 she is always with me and is a really nice shooting gun. With the shorter gun barrel it is easier to conceal. With a .357 I can target shoot .38 rounds out of her and carry with a stronger .357 round.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Kel Tec p3at or p32
    Glock 19

The Kel Tec p3at is what I've started carrying when I run.

You carry a gun when you run :huh: jeez lady, where do you live? Must be dangerous!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I prefer a revolver, because in a gunfight, I had an auto jam, and it's something a man never, ever forgets.
    That's your life!
    Give me a revolver and a pistol gripped shotgun for the car.
    PERFECT!
This discussion has been closed.