Do you have a crazy....

Options
comogirl
comogirl Posts: 154 Member
Do you have a crazy phobia, or irrational fear? I am so afraid of worms. It is a full phobia. They scare me to death. I hate it when it rains and they all seem to come up out of the ground to torment me. My husband and family think that my phobia is nuts, and it is, but I think there are lots of people with them. Mine stems from a childhood "trauma" in which another little girl dumped a whole bucket of worms on me in my new dress.
So now that I have exposed mine, what is yours?

Replies

• kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a phobia of anticipated noise. I can't really explain it, it's like a noise you know is coming, but not sure when? Some examples are a Jack-In-The-box toy, popping a balloon, popping the cork on a champagne bottle. You know there's going to be a noise, but when...? They all freak me out.

The funny thing is I work part time at a wine bar and annoy the heck out of my co-workers when I have to ask them to open champagne for me.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kinda. i have a phobia of being dying slowly by being cut up while still alive. idk the best way to explain it but i cant watch movies like hostel and saw without looking away most of the movie. (yet i love horror movies)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, I was convinced I would die in a car crash... I had a really hard time riding in car with my friends and I was not thrilled about learning how to drive.

I don't have that fear anymore, but it was really bad through my teens and early twenties...
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I am terrified of tornadoes. When there are warnings I move everything & everyone to the basement just in case.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thunderstorms. Comes of living in areas where they are very common and one of the reasons I want to move is to live somewhere they aren't common!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bridges! I've always known this about myself, but this past summer we took a family vacation driving an RV from Wisconsin to California. I was driving through Minnesota in the wee hours of the morning when we started crossing a pretty decent sized bridge. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat and was startled by my shaking and lack of breathing. We had to pull over afterward so I could calm down and continue driving. Rather scary moment.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Mine is fairly common. I'm claustrophobic. I just avoid tight spaces or really, really crowded areas. I went to a haunted house in Wildwood, NJ when I was around 12 and the walls closed it. I full-on freaked out but everyone was screaming anyway so nobody heard me. I haven't gone in a haunted house since and, every so often, I STILL have nightmares about that place. *shudders*
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am a relatively new driver (got my license at 45 yrs old.)

I still have an intense dislike (I wouldn't call it a phobia, per se) of driving into parking ramps...............that dark, tunnel effect, the twists and turns, the low ceiling. I will park quite a ways away, on the street, if I have to, to avoid a ramp.
  • comogirl
    Options
    I am terrified of tornadoes. When there are warnings I move everything & everyone to the basement just in case.
    Are you living in the mid-west?
  • schume89
    schume89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bridges and stairwells. I start shaking..not fun
  • comogirl
    Options
    Bridges seems to be a common one that I wouldn't have expected. Is it the height? Or just the drop off? Or the fact that they are usually over water? Not that there has to be a reason just wondering (there certainly isnt a reason behind mine, or at least not a good one).
  • comogirl
    Options
    I have a phobia of anticipated noise. I can't really explain it, it's like a noise you know is coming, but not sure when? Some examples are a Jack-In-The-box toy, popping a balloon, popping the cork on a champagne bottle. You know there's going to be a noise, but when...? They all freak me out.

The funny thing is I work part time at a wine bar and annoy the heck out of my co-workers when I have to ask them to open champagne for me.
    This one would be hard to avoid. Sorry!:frown:
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bridges seems to be a common one that I wouldn't have expected. Is it the height? Or just the drop off? Or the fact that they are usually over water? Not that there has to be a reason just wondering (there certainly isnt a reason behind mine, or at least not a good one).

Speaking for myself....I think there are just so many variables when it comes to bridges: Width, height, structural integrity, and general lack of immediate ground beneath you. I'm sure it's more base than that though, and that's just my over analysis of my personal neurosis.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I fear nothing :smokin:
    But I do have a favorite phobia:
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Fear of long words.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have many but my most irrational is my fear of masks, mascots, scary halloween costumes and people dressed up as characters at theme parks. I'm getting a little better about it.
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    My hubby gets all paranoid around balloons. Apparently he's been terrified of them since childhood.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    I've taken a bullet when I was in the military, but nothing scares me more than a friggin spider! I'm helpless in their presence.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't have irrational fears. I do like bringing the subject up so I know how to scare someone later.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Heights... to the point of passing out
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    sharks .... I hate'em!!! Nature will find a way to eat me!!!