…It’s Saturday Morning…You are a Kid again….GO:

Options

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Ghetto sugar smacks in the big *kitten* bag.

Snorks, Gem, Smurfs, The Wuzzles, PeeWee's Playhouse

Play double dutch and hopscotch, hide and go seek and ride bikes all day.

Better not make Mom come get you. You KNOW you better be in that house when the street lights come on.

Get up on Sunday, go to church, drink too much church coffee with obscene amounts of sugar.

Great topic.

I use to love me some sugar smacks!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    OMG, Merc, this post has actually made me feel blessed to be the age I am because my childhood spanned the late 70s to the early 90s when all the good stuff was out!! I remember everything that's been mentioned!

I have to say, though, outside activities were either double dutch with the neighbors or building forts in the woods with the cousins. I remember playing pong on our black and white tv, going to 7-11 to be able to play Pacman and Galaga on the stand-up machines, and beating every level of the 3 Mario games ones Nintendo came out.

Yea...I remember building bases in the woods too...WE also played tag on those big wooden playpark/jungle jims...where you couldn't touch the ground or you will be it:

stock-photo-a-park-next-to-the-beach-with-a-play-area-for-kids-containing-a-wooden-jungle-jim-18184630.jpg
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    OMG, Merc, this post has actually made me feel blessed to be the age I am because my childhood spanned the late 70s to the early 90s when all the good stuff was out!! I remember everything that's been mentioned!

I have to say, though, outside activities were either double dutch with the neighbors or building forts in the woods with the cousins. I remember playing pong on our black and white tv, going to 7-11 to be able to play Pacman and Galaga on the stand-up machines, and beating every level of the 3 Mario games ones Nintendo came out.

Yea...I remember building bases in the woods too...WE also played tag on those big wooden playpark/jungle jims...where you couldn't touch the ground or you will be it:

stock-photo-a-park-next-to-the-beach-with-a-play-area-for-kids-containing-a-wooden-jungle-jim-18184630.jpg

Heck yeah, or if you touched the ground it was quicksand!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    cereal: had to be Captain Crunch
    cartoons: Scooby Doo, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Underdog, Popeye and Schoolhouse Rock...#1 Bugs Bunny & Roadrunner.
    activities: horseback, swimming, lizard catching, rock forts up on the hill, ice skating on the dirt tank in winter, snow forts, inner tubing, hiking(we didn't call it that)
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Northern Ontario, Canada:
    In summer:
    going to the playground to play chinese checkers & play on the swings
    swim all day at the sandpit until the 4 pm whistle blew
    chasing fire trucks on our bicycles
    watching Mighty Mouse and later in the afternoon, Bugs Bunny

In winter:
    tobogganing (sledding) by the light of pouring slag (molten waste products that would light the sky red)
    skating in weather so cold you could freeze your toes
    watching Hockey Night in Canada, then Juliette
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, or if you touched the ground it was quicksand!
    Or lava!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    elementary school : my mom worked on saturdays and i wasnt allowed to stay home alone, so she'd drop me off at my great grandparents (yest GREAT grandparent's :laugh: ) house.

they didnt have cereal but i did get delicious bacon, eggs, buttermilk biscuits and fresh maple syrup cus that's how my great grannie rolled. i'd watch superfriends, hong kong phooey, scooby doo, fat albert, josie and the *****cats, and spider man.

depending on if my cousins (who lived around the corner) were on punishment i could go play with them. one of them was almost always on punishment and forced to stay home on a saturday so i always had at least one of them to play with.
    if school was out we'd go to the pool and spend the entire day there
    if school was in then i'd play for a bit, one of them would piss me off and then i'd stomp back to my great grandparents to read and bug them until they got sick of me and sent me back to my aunt's :laugh:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    there was always a cartoon extravaganza. was it the end of the summer or thanksgiving weekend? zandor and his herculoids... space ghost... those whacky racers.... glued to the tv and anticipated it for days

SPACE GHOST! Nice
    riding bikes and believing I was zak the laser ray dragon.... flying and shooting, well laser rays... gloop and gleep and jan and jace...never did understand the monkee
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Are we talking elementary age kid or up to high school age kid?

Either way my Saturdays were spent traveling to and from sporting events....as a young kid soccer and little league and jr high and high school traveling to track meets.

It's your choice!

I combined my years between 5th grad and 9th grade

HAhhahaha this was all pre 3 rd grade for us

masterminds I tell you.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I miss Punky Brewster

Awe... I loved that show!!!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I miss Punky Brewster

Me too, it was my favorite.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Wake up around 7 or 8 in the morning. Pour me a bowl of cereal. Preverably coco pebbles, turn on the tv, and watch cartoons until mom and dad got up. Then get dressed, get on my bike and ride to the river. Play in the river, get dirty and muddy, go to grandmas and eat some homemade from scratch chocolate pie. Go home and eat some homemade made from scratch whatever mom cooked for supper. Take a bath, get all the mud off, have some ice cream, hang with mom and dad and my brothers, and go to bed.

Gosh, I miss those days.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    Bob Ross
    Captain kangaroo.
    Barbapapas.

Happy little trees!! yeah Bob Ross! and Captain kangaroo.

i used to get up really early and grab my crayons and watch a drawing show.. not sure of the guys name.. he drew animals with crayons.

usually had to clean the house on saturday morning.

took off after, either hanging by the pool (we had an inground)
    took off on our bikes, hide and seak in the corn field at dusk along with betting people to ride the trail through it.. oooohhh scary..

kick ball, pickle, kick the can, hide and seak.. untill the street lights came on.

:) oh cereal was usually rice crispies or corn flacks.. we didn't get sugar cereals.
  • SammySays
    SammySays Posts: 19
    Options
    Probably around 7 or 8, I'd get up grab the biggest bowl in the house; eat some cereal, sitting indian style in front of the TV watching cartoons, then Charmed& Buffy& sit there until around 12; get up, go swimming at the pool. Come home at 3, watch Reba (Don't ask me why that was my favorite show), then go back to the pool until 5. Eat some food, head back to the pool at 6 until 8; come home, go to sleep. REPEAT. <3
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    We had a black & white TV when I was a kid! Space Ghost. Herculoids. Bugs Bunny. Wiley Coyote. Jonny Quest. Elmer Fudd.
    Ah yes! Those were the days! Schoolhouse Rock! Cartoons today probably don't suck to today's kids but I can't even watch them! LOL!
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    cold pizza and...

Boy: Woof! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

I'm just a bill.
    Yes, I'm only a bill.
    And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
    Well, it's a long, long journey
    To the capital city.
    It's a long, long wait
    While I'm sitting in committee,
    But I know I'll be a law someday
    At least I hope and pray that I will,
    But today I am still just a bill.

Boy: Gee, Bill, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

Bill: Well I got this far. When I started, I wasn't even a bill, I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law." Then he sat down and wrote me out and introduced me to Congress. And I became a bill, and I'll remain a bill until they decide to make me a law.

I'm just a bill
    Yes I'm only a bill,
    And I got as far as Capitol Hill.
    Well, now I'm stuck in committee
    And I'll sit here and wait
    While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
    Whether they should let me be a law.
    How I hope and pray that they will,

Boy: Listen to those congressmen arguing! Is all that discussion and debate about you?

Bill: Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. Most bills never even get this far. I hope they decide to report on me favourably, otherwise I may die.

Boy: Die?

Bill: Yeah, die in committee. Oooh, but it looks like I'm gonna live! Now I go to the House of Representatives, and they vote on me.

Boy: If they vote yes, what happens?

Bill: Then I go to the Senate and the whole thing starts all over again.

Boy: Oh no!

Bill: Oh yes!

I'm just a bill
    Yes, I'm only a bill
    And if they vote for me on Capitol Hill
    Well, then I'm off to the White House
    Where I'll wait in a line
    With a lot of other bills
    For the president to sign
    And if he signs me, then I'll be a law.
    How I hope and pray that he will,

Boy: You mean even if the whole Congress says you should be a law, the president can still say no?

Bill: Yes, that's called a veto. If the President vetoes me, I have to go back to Congress and they vote on me again, and by that time you're so old...

Boy: By that time it's very unlikely that you'll become a law. It's not easy to become a law, is it?

Bill: No!

But how I hope and I pray that I will,

Congressman: He signed you, Bill! Now you're a law!

Bill: Oh yes!!!
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Up, dressed, breakfast and out into the countryside.....

...back when hungry, wet, hurt..proper hurt or it got dark.

Oh I miss those days :smile:
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid there was this cartoon called Jem and the Holograms. They sang and they were always going up against these bad girls called the Misfits. When Jem was not spending time being a rock star, she had a normal life and went by the name Jerrica. She had this computer/mirror thingy called Synergy that could change her from one to the other. If I remember right she had to touch her earring to make the transformation happen. Ridiculous cartoon, but my first name is Jerica, so I thought it was awesome! I could never get a personalized bracelet or license plate for my bike as a kid because they never had my name. But it was okay, because Jerrica Benton a.k.a. Jem shared my name, lol.

On Saturday mornings I would sit down with a big ol' bowl of Rice Krispies (with like a half cup of sugar in it) and whatch me some Jem and the Holograms as they took on the Misfits!

remember them.... Loved that show...
    Oh memories - I am sitting here right now singing the theme song :-) "Jem. Jem is excitement, oooh Jem. Jem is adventure. Ooh Ooh. Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame......:laugh:
  • tubbs_nomore
    Options
    Time to watch "Davey and Goliath" strictly for the soul purpose of making fun of that *kitten* and his retarded dog! LOL

You're showing your age!! LOL "Hello Daaaaavey!" Gawd that dog was daft.. That show & the Three Stooges were the usual Saturday tv fare at our house, oh, and the Flintstones. Household chores, and then we took off till the streetlights came on, playing Kick the Can, tag, hide & seek, etc. We had the ABSOLUTE BEST candy during my childhood...stuff you'd never see today..grab bags for a penny that were stuffed with goodies they'd last you for days!! I miss those years.