Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• laurajoyk
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces!!

Its super windy out today :grumble: but in about an hour or two I'm going to get outside and do w4d2. I'm glad I have you guys on here to motivate me LOL

jdubard thats great that you're doing stairs, I'm going to add stairs in when I get a gym membership this winter. Cause stairs are hard work!!

:drinker: keep up the good work, I'll let you all know how my jog goes.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Laurajoy- I hope that darn bear stays far far away :grumble: Hopefully he put down the chainsaw :laugh: Wishing you energy :flowerforyou:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Laurajoy- I hope that darn bear stays far far away :grumble: Hopefully he put down the chainsaw :laugh: Wishing you energy :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the energy, it worked, cause it was a lot easier doing the 5 minute runs this time than it was the first time for sure. Yay! Thanks again.

The bear is still around, but no one has seen him for about 2 days that I have heard, and my brother got his chainsaw back. He followed the trail into the woods and found it laying where the bear had been camping out in the woods behind his house for awhile. So he's not toting a chainsaw around anymore :laugh: I was irrated that it was really windy and rainy, but it felt so good and kept me pretty cool during my workout. Later I'm going to take my chihuahua for a walk too, hopefully he doesn't blow away :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I did the 28 minute run today, and thought "Why not make it an even 30?" So I did! It was tough, but not as tough as last week.

And as for the stairs, I've been slowly trying to conquer the stairmaster, I up it by a minute each time I do it. I'm up to 13 minutes now. I do 1 minute at level 2 then 1 minute at level 8, then back to level 2, until I complete the 13 minutes. I am DYING and SOAKED by the end of it, but it's a great feeling of accomplishment! :drinker:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I do the treadmill, and I normally walk at 3.5, 4.0 if I'm feeling good, like you said. I run at 5.0...on the longer runs I'll drop down to 4.8 for like a minute or two, so when I bump it back up to 5.0, it'll feel like I had a break! :laugh: Then the last 30-45 seconds or so, I bump it up to 6.0! You'll know what's too fast or too slow for you. But, it is better to start slow and build up first. i'd rather complete the whole thing, then work on speed. You'll never be able to do it if you try to sprint through it first! :laugh:

And you won't fall if you start the machine slowly, while you're standing on it. If you put it up to full speed and then try to jump on it, yeah, that could be bad. You'll be fine though...I'm so clumsy I fall going up the stairs at least once a week :laugh: , and I've never head a problem with the treadmill. *crosses fingers, knocks wood*

Get this! I did it...I actually ran on the treadmill! I can't believe I don't have a bruise or open wound on my body! lol It was really a lot easier to do than I thought. Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Thanks so much for the tips. I have officially completed W1D1 of the C25K. Go figure. When I ran, I did it at a 4.5. I know not much. I even had to slow that down toward the end. But at least I did it...and lived to tell my little story. lol

AddEmoticons00525-1.gif
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Don't worry about going slow, as long as you do it!

I like your little dancing guy! :smile:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @OomarianneoO: that's great! Congrats!! Please don't think you are slow!! I am a former runner and I have repeated EVERY week in the program AND .... I "jog" at a speed of ...... wait for it...... 3.5 mph!! I hurt myself when I tried to up it to 4.0 on the treadmill!!! I can walk faster than I can run!!!! My husband doesn't believe me, but it is true. :laugh: :laugh:

There is ALWAYS someone slower than you - just as there is always someone faster.

BTW - I do love your dancing guy, too. :love:

@toots99 Way to go! That is so fantastic! Look at you -adding extra minutes to your run!! I've always wanted to conquer the stairmaster - it is the hardest machine in the gym for me. All of these gradually building training programs have inspired me - maybe I'll try to do the stairmaster again. No other machine in the gym makes me sweat like the stairmaster.
  • JessiJean
    Options
    Laurajoy- I am glad that the bear tossed the chainsaw!

OomarianneoO- Congrats on your run! I love running on my treadmill. I also feared falling off, but my clumsy butt has yet to fall off and I have had the thing for at least 2 years :laugh:

The stairs did a number on my calves! I am using the stairwells at work since I have to use whatever I can to workout. I tried to be good on my eating yesterday, but I failed miserably with the Edy's slow churned ice cream. I guess it's OK since I have been trying to eat more. (I had been unknowingly starving myself for a while!) I plan to stick to the healthy eating plan and do either the stairs or weather permitting a nice run outside today.

Wishing you energy to burn :flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Thanks for the energy, it worked, cause it was a lot easier doing the 5 minute runs this time than it was the first time for sure. Yay! Thanks again.

The bear is still around, but no one has seen him for about 2 days that I have heard, and my brother got his chainsaw back. He followed the trail into the woods and found it laying where the bear had been camping out in the woods behind his house for awhile. So he's not toting a chainsaw around anymore :laugh: I was irrated that it was really windy and rainy, but it felt so good and kept me pretty cool during my workout. Later I'm going to take my chihuahua for a walk too, hopefully he doesn't blow away :laugh:

Yes! The runs get easier and that is so rewarding!

Glad the bear is now unarmed!!!!!! :laugh:

Tie a jug of water to the Chihuahua to weigh him down!!!! Or alternatively fly him like a kite! That might be fun!

Proud of your successes and your courage to keep going in spite of bears!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I did the 28 minute run today, and thought "Why not make it an even 30?" So I did! It was tough, but not as tough as last week.

And as for the stairs, I've been slowly trying to conquer the stairmaster, I up it by a minute each time I do it. I'm up to 13 minutes now. I do 1 minute at level 2 then 1 minute at level 8, then back to level 2, until I complete the 13 minutes. I am DYING and SOAKED by the end of it, but it's a great feeling of accomplishment! :drinker:

w00t!!!!!!! 30 minutes ! You are moving forward by leaps and bounds - literally! That's fantastic!

And no way I'm doing stairs on purpose! I'm on the 2nd floor, when everyone else is on the 3rd floor so I have to run up and down about 3 times an hour for eight hours every day anyway - hee hee!
  • JessiJean
    Options

w00t!!!!!!! 30 minutes ! You are moving forward by leaps and bounds - literally! That's fantastic!

And no way I'm doing stairs on purpose! I'm on the 2nd floor, when everyone else is on the 3rd floor so I have to run up and down about 3 times an hour for eight hours every day anyway - hee hee!

Looks like you don't need a stair challenge :laugh: I think I will run even if it's raining. Someone last week did it, so I think I will do it! I will try for the 3 miles again :drinker:
  • Wecandothis
    Options

Looks like you don't need a stair challenge :laugh: I think I will run even if it's raining. Someone last week did it, so I think I will do it! I will try for the 3 miles again :drinker:

I loved running in the rain - however it was not cold out - it was a couple of weeks ago and it was very warm. Running in the rain was great!!

I did have to watch the road surface, it was slippery in some places - on the warm tar. But other than that, I thought it was great fun!!!
  • JessiJean
    Options
    :happy: Thanks for the encouragement! I'll fill you all in in a few hours about it :huh:
  • sheri5734
    Options
    This maybe a stupid question but would you be able to do the site using a treadmill, not going outdoors? I work 14 hours a day but have access to a treadmill. I will check out the site and see if it gives speeds and distance but I thought someone might know:happy:
  • JessiJean
    Options
    This maybe a stupid question but would you be able to do the site using a treadmill, not going outdoors? I work 14 hours a day but have access to a treadmill. I will check out the site and see if it gives speeds and distance but I thought someone might know:happy:

Sure. You can do this on your own equipment at your own pace. We are just here to support each other! :flowerforyou: Welcome....I used to only run on the treadmill, but have since started running exclusively at work since I have a 6 month old at home. She is quite demanding :happy:
  • sheri5734
    Options
    Thanks I just checked out the site and wrote out my schedule starting tomorrow morning! This is a great group that you started it will be good to track it on here. I did a 1/2 marathon last Sept. in Hawaii for the Arthritis Society (I walked it) and I am scheduled to do another one in New Orleans and would love to be able to run some of it. I always pictured runners as these little people and told myself that I will be a walker. And If I am I am but I am going to give it a shot!
    Good luck everyone
    Sheri
  • Wecandothis
    Options

Lots of follks use the treadmill! I think you should go your own speed though, just mho.
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Thanks I just checked out the site and wrote out my schedule starting tomorrow morning! This is a great group that you started it will be good to track it on here. I did a 1/2 marathon last Sept. in Hawaii for the Arthritis Society (I walked it) and I am scheduled to do another one in New Orleans and would love to be able to run some of it. I always pictured runners as these little people and told myself that I will be a walker. And If I am I am but I am going to give it a shot!
    Good luck everyone
    Sheri

You can do this, you honestly can! It's really amazing to me. I've never run in my life, could not even run the mile in high school gym class, but I'm doing it at the age of 49. :) So you can do this!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sheri! :flowerforyou:

I just wanted to encourage you too. I'm 55 years old and when I started the c25k I could barely run a few feet to catch a bus or walk up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath. Last Saturday, running with my daughter, I ran 28 minutes and was just a little breathless. I could have run the extra 2 minutes and wish I would have but I'll try that tonight. :smile: It was a slow jog but I'm still proud of me. So you can do it too. Let us know how you're doing. This is indeed a wonderful group of people and very supportive. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Oh, just a word of warning to you Sheri. This running business is very addictive so start at your own risk. :laugh: :laugh: