Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• laurajoyk
    Options
    Ok, so I did 11 minutes of day 1 week 1 instead of 20 0_0 I wasn't hurting or anything, but my 2 year old fell backwards and hit her head on the concrete and i let it be an excuse to stop entirely instead of starting again once the crying stopped. My legs are a little sore today too 0_o but i'll keep with it, and i will actually finish the 20 minutes tomorrow =p

Oh my gosh I hope she is okay!!!!!

I just want to encourage you by telling you something that might discourage you at first, but if you keep in mind the end goal I hope it will make it easier.

The first two weeks that I did this I hurt so badly that I hobbled around at home and at work. I was SORE in all caps - however - at the end of week two and going into week three that went away. Occasionally now I'll feel a tiny bit of tenderness in a muscle but if you can endure the first week or so of soreness it will go away.

Don't forget to stretch at the end too - and do not skimp on that 5 minute cool down walk - both help with the soreness.

Also Banks keeps saying that any amount of aerobic activity is good for you, so that 11 minutes meant something!!! If you have to finish the other bit later, so be it! You still got the benefits from the first part.

You can do this! I salute you for doing it with little tiny ones. :)

Amen, :wink: I totally agree with you on this.
  • xenanoo
    Options

She was ok :) She was running around too and jumped up and somehow ended up on her back. She cried for about three minutes or so, and then wanted to play somemore. :wink: LOL And i didn't stretch xD I should have, and i will next time =p I ended up doing it in the backyard instead of putting my girly in her stroller because it was raining xD I figured best to stay at home =p
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Congrats for doing it even though it was raining!!!! I am glad that your baby is OK :flowerforyou:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    W3 D2 - DONE (5th wk of running)

I agree with what others said - I was SORE for the first 3 weeks. SO SORE - that I repeated the W1 and W2 plan - so I did two weeks of each. Now, 5 weeks of running - W3 of the plan - the soreness has gone WAY down. So, don't get discouraged, run slower, ICE ICE, get a massage if you can and stretch.

Keep at it, everyone! It does get easier. Every run, every week, we are getting a little stronger, faster and fitter!
  • TheNatKitchen
    TheNatKitchen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I just finished repeating W1, again. I'm not sore at all, but I get SO winded while I'm running. I'm scared to move on to W2! Do I tough it out, or wait until i can do W1 comfortably before I move on?? At this rate it will take a year to complete the program. Help?
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    So I just finished repeating W1, again. I'm not sore at all, but I get SO winded while I'm running. I'm scared to move on to W2! Do I tough it out, or wait until i can do W1 comfortably before I move on?? At this rate it will take a year to complete the program. Help?

I quit smoking a little over two months ago, and I have always gotten winded just walking up the stairs at my parent's house or barely walking anywhere before now. I went straight into week two after week one. Its better to try it and see what happens, instead of assuming you can't do it. I promise you your body is a whole lot stronger than you think. I'm just starting to learn that now about myself. Just try it and see how it goes. I have to go pretty slow so I don't start weezing LOL I haven't weezed since week one! Which is awesome!
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Week 3 day 2 down!! It feels so good!! I just want to keep going LOL I went for a longer cool down walk after I picked up my chihuahua, and did 40 on each leg of walking lunges with kickbacks :laugh: then did 3 sets of all my arm workouts.:happy:

I'm still in awe that I'm doing this! Me run!!! LOL But I really am and I'm so excited! And the best part is that even though the bear is still hanging around our neighborhood I haven't had a run in with it yet :laugh: I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

keep up the good work

xenanoo- awesome for doing it despite the rain!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

When I started the c25k program I repeated week 1 also. Then I went on to week 2 even though I wasn't sure I was ready to move on. For me, week 2 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Try moving on to week 2 and see how you do. Pace yourself when you're running and don't try to run fast. The speed will come later. I just finished w5d3 and I'm still running at a slower pace. Don't get discouraged. You're doing great. :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Week 3 day 2 down!! It feels so good!! I just want to keep going LOL I went for a longer cool down walk after I picked up my chihuahua, and did 40 on each leg of walking lunges with kickbacks :laugh: then did 3 sets of all my arm workouts.:happy:

I'm still in awe that I'm doing this! Me run!!! LOL But I really am and I'm so excited! And the best part is that even though the bear is still hanging around our neighborhood I haven't had a run in with it yet :laugh: I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

keep up the good work

xenanoo- awesome for doing it despite the rain!

It is amazing for me too! This is a real blessing - and watch out for the bear! Yeesh!!! :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Laurajoyw I know how you feel. I'm in awe about being able to run too. Like you, I used to huff and puff when I would climb stairs. I've always walked a lot because I don't have a car, so it's walk or take the bus but I was still way out of shape. I could barely run a few feet to catch a bus let alone run for 20 minutes straight which is what I did last night. It's so exciting to be able to do this. I never thought I'd ever be able to run either but now it's "look at me go!" I love it!! :heart: I just praise God for helping me do this because I know I couldn't do it without Him. :happy: :happy:

Betty
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hey ladies, just wanted to check in and tell you all how inspiring you are to me :) I totally needed a pick me up today and you guys provide it every time I need one. Thanks to everyone for doing your best every week on here!!!

Momma...you are a rockstar every time i see your posts :) A special thank you to you. You have inspired me to push my mom to step out of her comfort zone and join a gym on her own. She has been putting it off for 10mths because she has been "waiting for someone to work out wiht" and today she said it was time for her to stop wimping out and just do it!!!

Thanks so much!!!!
  • caseyamber
    Options
    I finished w4d2 this morning. If I stay on track, and dont repeat any weeks I will finish on October 23. The Run Like Hell 5K is on October 25. Im nervous that I wont be ready, but I think I want to sign up. Advice? Thoughts?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what Maddie said - you all are inspiring - and it's great motivation for the times when it gets hard...... I'm proud.

Yep, momma, you're a ROCK STAR. agreed. (Shoot, we all are!) LOL!
  • jlbay
    Options
    I say "ditto" to what you've all been saying.

I'm going to remember this discussion - about how amazing it is to actually RUN - how great that feels. B/c I know I'll have those bad days, too, when I don't think I can keep going or I'll have set backs with injuries - but I can't give in.

I remember when I started running years ago - it was to quit smoking. I wasn't too overweight or out of shape (just about 10 lbs at that time) - but the sense of accomplishment that came with running - it was unlike anything else. There is no better feeling than when you tell people, "I'm a runner!" Oh, and the first 5k race I ran for charity - SUCH an amazing experience. I was addicted!- and I used to HATE running. I gave up after an injury and other life events got me down. I don't want to forget this feeling ever again. Whoot - whoot!!

Sorry for the long post - just feeling passionate today! And, y'all keep me inspired. Go team, GO!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I finished w4d2 this morning. If I stay on track, and dont repeat any weeks I will finish on October 23. The Run Like Hell 5K is on October 25. Im nervous that I wont be ready, but I think I want to sign up. Advice? Thoughts?

Gratz! I think that if you've come this far you'll do fine! There will be all sorts of people running in that race, at all sorts of fitness levels. I think you should go for it!!!

I don't know - yet - but I've heard that the community of runners is made up of wonderfully accepting people who are always cheering each other on, no matter what their level of experience. If you want to do this, go for it!!! I know you can do it.
  • JessiJean
    Options
    Laurajoyw I know how you feel. I'm in awe about being able to run too. Like you, I used to huff and puff when I would climb stairs. I've always walked a lot because I don't have a car, so it's walk or take the bus but I was still way out of shape. I could barely run a few feet to catch a bus let alone run for 20 minutes straight which is what I did last night. It's so exciting to be able to do this. I never thought I'd ever be able to run either but now it's "look at me go!" I love it!! :heart: I just praise God for helping me do this because I know I couldn't do it without Him. :happy: :happy:

Betty

Mommared- I also thank God for the ability to run! I sometimes have to ask Jesus to carry me one more mile :happy:

Laurajoy- You are doing great! Congrats on being smoke free for this long. I know that it is hard, but it is sooooo worth it! Keep it up girl. You inspire me. I think if this girl can run with a bear outside, I can run on the treadmill :noway:

I am debating on whether to start Hal Higdon's 10K challenge. I posted a topic, but no one has responded. I guess I will start this at my own pace though. Maybe stick with the 5 K for 1 more week :drinker:
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Okay, would it be better for someone over the 300 mark to do this program or walk? I used to never exercise, and in the last two weeks I've been walking and building up the pace to a fast walk. I'm up to walking 1.2 miles Monday, Wed., Fri., Sat., Sun., give or take a day. It takes about 29 minutes to make it around the track. Half of that is done at a brisk pace, the finishing half at a lesiurely pace. (I just made it up to the 1.2 miles starting on Sunday.)

I'd love to run at some point in my life, but I don't want to put too much stress on my body being this heavy. Any advice?
  • jlbay
    Options

Mommared- I also thank God for the ability to run! I sometimes have to ask Jesus to carry me one more mile :happy:

Laurajoy- You are doing great! Congrats on being smoke free for this long. I know that it is hard, but it is sooooo worth it! Keep it up girl. You inspire me. I think if this girl can run with a bear outside, I can run on the treadmill :noway:

I am debating on whether to start Hal Higdon's 10K challenge. I posted a topic, but no one has responded. I guess I will start this at my own pace though. Maybe stick with the 5 K for 1 more week :drinker:

I saw your post and I would love to train for a 10k - but I'm afraid I'm just not there yet. Good luck, though! I'm hoping to start a 10k plan after I finish this C25k plan.
  • JessiJean
    Options

I saw your post and I would love to train for a 10k - but I'm afraid I'm just not there yet. Good luck, though! I'm hoping to start a 10k plan after I finish this C25k plan.

I am starting to feel that I am not there either, but I tend to push myself rather hard! I am going to run in about an hour. I will either run 2 miles or 3. I guess it depends on how I feel while I am running :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Okay, would it be better for someone over the 300 mark to do this program or walk? I used to never exercise, and in the last two weeks I've been walking and building up the pace to a fast walk. I'm up to walking 1.2 miles Monday, Wed., Fri., Sat., Sun., give or take a day. It takes about 29 minutes to make it around the track. Half of that is done at a brisk pace, the finishing half at a lesiurely pace. (I just made it up to the 1.2 miles starting on Sunday.)

I'd love to run at some point in my life, but I don't want to put too much stress on my body being this heavy. Any advice?

Just take it slow and easy! Don't give up!