Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• laurajoyk
    Options
    Ok I've been lazy the last few days! Well most of this week actually :sad: I did my first run for week 2 on Monday, and since then haven't done much more than walking for about 10 minutes at a time. So instead of letting it get me down that I was lazy i'm going to get right back on track. I'm going to do the 2nd day for week 2 today, then again tomorrow or Monday so I can at least try to keep my weeks on track LOL

I'll have a lot more time off now, Instead of working at the coffee shop 6 days a week, I'm only working there 2 days a week now, and the rest of the time I'm going to be home taking care of my grandma, so I will definitely have a lot of time to workout, and no way I can make excuses now. I kept saying this week I was too tired after work, but I don't even have that excuse anymore LOL

jlbay- I do the exact same thing in my head when I start running, I have to push hard through the jogging part, then when I'm walking give myself a pep talk so I know I can do it, otherwise I'm just thinking that its impossible.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Good for you Laurajoyw!! There will be times when we get off track because life gets in the way, but you have exactly the right attitude. Just keep going!

I'm cheering for you!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I'm in!

I need to get my butt off the couch!

Excellent! Welcome!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Meanness67 - You GO!!!!!!!! How cool is that! I will admit to being pretty afraid of next week, that 20 minute run seems REALLY long, but I'm going to give it a go, and try and follow your advice and be positive.

Good work everyone!!!!!! This is fantastic!!!

I have confidence that you can do it, too! Keep us updated.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating week 6 - got new running shoes that didn't work for me. I've exchanged them, but didn't want to jump right back in at 25 minutes. So today was 5, 8, 5... the first 5 was the hardest, I was fine by the end! I'm looking forward to two 10 minute runs next time.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I'm repeating week 6 - got new running shoes that didn't work for me. I've exchanged them, but didn't want to jump right back in at 25 minutes. So today was 5, 8, 5... the first 5 was the hardest, I was fine by the end! I'm looking forward to two 10 minute runs next time.

Keep up the good work!

I just did week 2 day 2. Its pretty boring running up and down the same part of the street lol but it will be all right, I wasn't really bored, I don't think I'll have to worry about being bored until I've been running forever LOL

I feel great though. Now I get to clean :wink:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I did Week 5 this week. I had my doubts about advancing to day 3, because it was such a jump - but I gave it a shot anyway. I tried to be as optimistic as I could and told myself I could do it. Instead of a 20 minute solid run, I ended up running to the 10 minute mark, took a 2.5 minute recovery walk, and then did a slow 10 minute jog after that. It's still an improvement in that it's the longest running / jogging periods I've done, and I didn't feel like I was going to die when I was done. Building lung capacity, definitely.

I'm wondering though -should I repeat this day again, or give in to temptation to move on to week 6? I looked at week 6 day 1 and I know I can handle those intervals.

What would you all recommend?
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I did Week 5 this week. I had my doubts about advancing to day 3, because it was such a jump - but I gave it a shot anyway. I tried to be as optimistic as I could and told myself I could do it. Instead of a 20 minute solid run, I ended up running to the 10 minute mark, took a 2.5 minute recovery walk, and then did a slow 10 minute jog after that. It's still an improvement in that it's the longest running / jogging periods I've done, and I didn't feel like I was going to die when I was done. Building lung capacity, definitely.

I'm wondering though -should I repeat this day again, or give in to temptation to move on to week 6? I looked at week 6 day 1 and I know I can handle those intervals.

I'd go on to the next week I think. I'd not do the two 20's in a row yet. You're doing great, just think what you typed! You ran for 10 minutes straight twice, with only a very small break in between! That's fantastic!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W5D1 Done!
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Week 2 Day 3 Done! YAY :happy: I'm so glad I'm back on track now.

I was wondering, since this is such a long thread, should we start a new one and see if we can get more people?
  • xenanoo
    Options
    I was just commenting on another community that I'd like to try this. SO tomorrow I'll be starting week one, day one. :)
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Week 2 Day 3 Done! YAY :happy: I'm so glad I'm back on track now.

I was wondering, since this is such a long thread, should we start a new one and see if we can get more people?

If you like! If you do let us know so we can follow!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I was just commenting on another community that I'd like to try this. SO tomorrow I'll be starting week one, day one. :)

Gratz and welcome! It's a great program! Let us know how it is going for you!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran 3 whole miles straight yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Now if I can just keep at it!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran 3 whole miles straight yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Now if I can just keep at it!

Congrats!!!! That's Fantastic!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options

Wow! That's fantastic!! And of course you can keep at it! You've come this far, you can certainly keep at it! Very proud to be in this group with you!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Wow! That's fantastic!! And of course you can keep at it! You've come this far, you can certainly keep at it! Very proud to be in this group with you!

AHHHH...Thanks!!!! I plan to keep it up and Gulp...try to train for a half marathon! :noway: We will see how that goes.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Well, I'm being a bit conservative and repeating weeks due to soreness. However, if you ran 20 min with only a 2.5 min break in the middle - I'd say you could probably move on. I don't think you can go wrong, either way. Congrats on your week 5!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Well, I'm being a bit conservative and repeating weeks due to soreness. However, if you ran 20 min with only a 2.5 min break in the middle - I'd say you could probably move on. I don't think you can go wrong, either way. Congrats on your week 5!
  • laurajoyk
    Options

Welcome and good luck!