Birth Control Options

Options
124»

Replies

• kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i got snipped a couple years ago, and now i get to drop seed-bombs in there all day and NEVER worry!

I read this to my husband and I think you inspired him to rethink his position on snippage!! haha
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I have not used birth control in years. My husband and I use other methods (lol). anyway--I have been considering getting on some type but I don't know what kind to try. I did try the nuvaring several years back but it didn'k work out for me. I have heard that pills can cause weight gain which would obviously suck. Does anybody have any recommendations???

When your done holding your ankles.
    Do you jump up and down like 3 times...you know confuse the little buggers.
    That'll do it. See I'm a helper:flowerforyou:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    i got snipped a couple years ago, and now i get to drop seed-bombs in there all day and NEVER worry!

I read this to my husband and I think you inspired him to rethink his position on snippage!! haha

I'm snipped too. It is excellent to be able to do what I want and not care.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I got the Paragard IUD, and I love it. My hormones are all natural, which can suck a few days out of the month, but overall, I feel a lot better than I did on the pills. Sometimes I like a little PMS so I can have the courage to tell people how I really feel. :)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I have the Implanon and I HATE it. For about 6 months, I had no period at all, but now it's extremely unpredictable - I'll have a horribly heavy one for 3 weeks, nothing for a month, a light one for 4 days, a heavy one for a week, etc... I never ever know what to expect so I just have to always be prepared. Also, before my Implanon, I NEVER had acne. Really. But now, it's all over my chest and my back - disgusting! To make matters even worse, it's made my hair start to fall out (I'm only 21). It's thinned out considerably; even my hair dresser noticed. Definitely going to look at different methods ASAP.

So basically, stay away from Implanon!!
    dang i had mine in for almost 1 year, and didnot have any of that, wow, just wow
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    maybe i missed it but i havent seen depo provera mentioned yet. i've been on it for over 3years. the first 6mos was hard, but now i dont get a period at all.. my hormones smoothed out.. its really been a godsend.. i did gain some weight at first, but i'm able to lose weight on it...
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Well--thanks for the responses. Of course--I'm more confused than ever! lol. I guess I'll talk to the doc some more and see what we can figure out. My husband just got home tho and he said that if his copay isn't huge--he would probably get snipped! =) but if not--i guess i'll figure it out

If you can get him to do it and you're for sure done eith babies - the big V is obviously the best way to go. Hormones have side effects and tube tying for you is way more complicated a procedure.
    But I love love love my iud. No PMS e v e r rocks!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Mirena is perfect for me. Hardly any period and only have to replace or think about it once every five years. I don't trust the pill...got my youngest as a result (someone has to make up the failure rate and I took my pill religiously...love her and wouldn't trade her though). The Mirena has hormones but they are localized. I love it but I've had a couple of friends who didn't.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I only skimmed over the comments, and I don't think this option was mentioned. (I could be wrong though as I'm half asleep lol)

You mentioned the possibility of the man getting snipped, so I'm assuming you don't want kids or anymore kids. If that's the case, look into the Essure procedure. It's a tiny coil made out of the same material as cardiac stints, about the size of a grain of rice, that goes in each Fallopian tube. It stimulates scar tissue to grow over them to block the tubes. (After 3 months a dye test is done to confirm blockage.) Personally, I had some complications due to multiple miscarriages and having a ridiculous amount of scar tissue already, but even with complications, I'd still do it all over again! Also, it's an in-office procedure. (aka it cost me a $25 copay vs several hundred dollars for a traditional tubal litigation at the hospital.)
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Don't forget the IUD has been linked to uterine infections in young women. My doctor refused it to me because he said it increases the risk of future infertility ten-fold. I realise this isn't an issue for you, but anyone else considering it might do well to think about that, especially if they're young.
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    If this is something you want temporary because you are planning on having children in the future, the IUD is amazing. I had it for several years w/out any complications. If you don't want children, I have what you call Essure. It's a permanent birth control method and it is done w/in an hour and you are back to work the next day. Also amazing!