Almond vs Soy vs Cow Milk

Options

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk.. I am interested in getting the optimal muscle building components, don't need the extra fat. However, I give my daughter whole milk and vanilla flavored almond milk because she is protein restricted, but I need to get a certain amount of calories, fat and protein in her in a day, and I try to watch her carbs. She gets 4 oz of whole milk and 14 oz of almond milk along with six ounces of V8 fusion juice for breakfast.
  • milk_shakes
    Options
    Soy all the way for drinking, in cereal. Although I cook with 1% cow's milk and prefer it in coffee
  • wyldling
    wyldling Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm an almond milk kinda girl. I love it. I'm disappointed with the soy I bought last week when my store was out of almond. After going a while without drinking cow's milk I find myself having an upset stomach after I drink any or eat cheese. I have yet to try coconut milk but I'm hesitant because I hate the taste of coconut but it is on my list to try one day.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have recently been wondering the same thing as Almond Milk is pretty tasty and has less calories. However, Almond milk only has 1g of protein vs Cow's Milk/Soy Milk at 7-8g protein. The other benefit to Cow's milk is the calcium. I am going to get some Almond Milk to use at times but think I will be sticking with my lactose free skim Cow's milk for the protein & calcium, I would rather get it from the source than taking a pill. Hope this helps!

FYI, almond milk has 50% more calcium than cow's milk.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options
    I'm an almond milk kinda girl. I love it. I'm disappointed with the soy I bought last week when my store was out of almond. After going a while without drinking cow's milk I find myself having an upset stomach after I drink any or eat cheese. I have yet to try coconut milk but I'm hesitant because I hate the taste of coconut but it is on my list to try one day.

Try the almond coconut blend. Blue Diamond makes it unsweetened too, which is really hard to find (why do they think they need to sweeten coconut milk, which is naturally sweet?). It's a nice change from vanilla almond.
  • Julienetan
    Julienetan Posts: 44
    Options
    I also love the taste of almond
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    1% due to our pediatrician. I like it for the calcium and protein. I prefer 2% or whole but I can't make my kids drink 1% while i drink the good stuff :)
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love the flavour of almond milk but it lacks calcium. Is coconut milk fattening?
  • vonne06
    vonne06 Posts: 42
    Options
    Love Cocount milk and Almond milk. I like Soy milk to but so has a lot of natural estrogen in it, and breast cancer is in my family history so I don't use soy milk as much.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I prefer moo cow milk because there is no almond or soy breast
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I tried almond milk for the first time today and can say I think Im going to be an instant convert, never been a milk fan really, just in tea, and almond milk in tea is fine.

I also discovered almond butter, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING ALL MY LIFE!! Seriously its delicious!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options
    I love the flavour of almond milk but it lacks calcium. Is coconut milk fattening?

FYI, almond milk has 50% more calcium than cow's milk.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I can't drink cow's milk anymore because I find it too sweet. The only cow's milk I like now is Hood's Calorie Countdown. Unfortunately I find its a waste of money compared to when it originally debuted years ago with a nice 13g protein thanks to the inclusion of whey protein isolate. It now has a measily 5g of protein and is sold as a very low calorie beverage to compete with almond and coconut milk.

Regarding soy milk, the only product I find tolerable is 8th Continent original. Every Silk soy milk I've tasted was like paper soaked in water overnight - Gross.

That's why I prefer coconut and almond milk, both from So Delicious. I rather the originals for both.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't drink cow's milk. My face breaks out from it BIG TIME! I've been using almond milk but can't get used to actually drinking it as a beverage.
  • moonbai
    moonbai Posts: 16
    Options
    I prefer Almond and Coconut Milk mostly because of Lactose intolerance but I also like the taste....I mostly drink So Delicious Almond Plus Vanilla the Plus is for the about of protein and it has a good amount of fiber.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had milk allergies growing up so I've never really been able to drink it and as a result I find it absolutely disgusting. I used to get physically ill when I was it being poured, the smell grosses me out, I hate the way it looks. Just all around not into the cow's milk.

I try to drink alterna-milk but since it looks so much like cow's milk it usually only ends up working in a smoothie or something. I gag when I try to drink it straight.

I'm always amazes and confused when people can drink milk on it's own. It's a completely foreign concept to me.

I'd like to be able to drink some kind of milk though. It's seems so healthy and sometimes I just am not in the mood for a smoothie. Maybe one day?

I should add I tried to drink a local chocolate milk before and while it made me a little sick it wasn't too bad. It tasted good.I think it helps that it basically looks like smoothie and doesn't have that gross white colour. But yeah, I just can't drink it enough to justify buying it in any form.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    It all depends on whatever cereal kick I'm on lol!
    Right now, it's all about frosted flakes, so I use 2%.

When I'm stuck on mini wheats, I use almond.

Basically, "better for you" cereals get almond, and my nutritionally defunct cereals get 2% lol
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk has saturated fat, yes. But it is supposedly distinctly different than saturated fats you get from animal products. It is supposed to be a "good for you" fat...hard for me to explain, but it has something to do with it having medium chain fatty acids, plant based fat. This is supposed to be good for you, but you do still have to watch your total fat intake.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like almond or cows' milk. Soy does nothing for me.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Organic 1% milk.... that being said, I do not drink milk and my husband is lactose intolerant. So, the milk is just for my kiddo (who would drink 6 glasses a day if I let her).

We can not do almond milk (kid allergies) or soy (hypothyroid) and have not tried rice or coconut.