Greek Yogurt lovers - (plain) How to sweeten it

Options
saraann4
saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
I love greek yogurt, but the only kinds that I have had were little mini cups with blueberries on the bottom and the other was with honey. I loved the blueberry one, but the honey was disgusting (think it was bad). So this time, I bought a big tub of plain greek yogurt and a bunch of fresh blueberries. Today, I had a half of cup of yogurt and half cup of blueberries. I almost gagged. I need some sugar!

So the question is, how can I sweeten it up without adding too many calories? I do plan on buying some real honey and adding it to it, but I would like a variety. Would also like an idea on how I can sweeten it and use the blueberries, something to complement them.

Replies

• chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i used mashed mixed berries for a while. now, been flavoring with crystal light. YUM
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    raw honey is what I typically use, but if you are cool with artificial sweeteners, go with some stevia!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The best desert I made using plain Greek Yogurt was taking half the serving size and adding protein powder (Trutein Milk Chocolate) and mixing it together. Then I break pieces of an Ozery Morning Round Cranberry Orange and add that to the now Chocolate yogurt. Its like eating a delicious, thick and creamy chocolate cake.
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt with sliced banana and another fruit (usually blueberries or strawberries) every day. Definitely does the trick, although I've gotten to the point I enjoy greek yogurt even by itself now.

Someone on here suggested mixing it with Crystal Light, too. (Edit, sorry, didn't see that mentioned upthread haha)
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones and let them thaw out first. The juice runs out of them a bit so the sweetness disperses more evenly throughout the yogurt.

Frozen, pitted cherries do the trick too.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Love my greek yogurt with BSN Protein Powder Vanilla (Just half a scoop) and fresh fruits, my favorites are pineapple, blueberries and strawberries. :) Yummy!
  • mzmarple
    mzmarple Posts: 12
    Options
    I use agave nectar to sweeten plain Greek yogurt. I prefer it to sugar because it's a low-glycemic sweetener, and it's sweeter than sugar so I use less than 1 teaspoon. It doesn't have as strong a tastes as honey, it just tastes sweet.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The very first Greek style yogurt I had was with honey and that tasted distusting. Thankfully, there are countless ways to use Greek yogurt to create yummy treats.

But you can use a few drops of Liquid Stevia - enough to satisfy your sweet tooth - then add in blueberries and whatever fruits you like.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Love my greek yogurt with BSN Protein Powder Vanilla (Just half a scoop) and fresh fruits, my favorites are pineapple, blueberries and strawberries. :) Yummy!

This is exactly what I do. I use ON Vanilla Ice Cream flavor, throw in some fruit (not pineapple, cause eww - sorry ;-)). If you want you can also throw some granola in (high in cals so be careful if you do) and make a sort of parfait.

EDA: some greek yoghurts are better than others - I prefer Fage and Chobani.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like adding blueberries or strawberries, mashing a few of them into the yoghurt which makes the base sweeter and having the rest in there as chunky fruit bits.
    I also suggest that you try a few different brands of yoghurt. I've discovered a fabulous yoghurt called Black Swan Low Fat Greek Style. It does have a few more ingredients than I like but it's so creamy and delicious that I eat it just as it is. If you're not lucky enough to live in Australia you probably won't find that brand, but there are probably lots of choices where you live.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sugar free fat free pudding works well!
  • lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    Maple sirup ! and fruits
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    I use stevia--which is not an artificial sweetener by the way ;0
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    protein powder
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    Somebody already mentioned stevia drops, I use french vanilla stevia drops to sweeten mine.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My finger....I don't go out in the rain either. Cause sugar melts!!! ha
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    tbsp honey, blueberries,cinnamon, and walnuts
    1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder and sliced strawberries
    tbsp sugar free fruit preserves (but you could use regular if you are opposed to splenda)
    tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I do. I use ON Vanilla Ice Cream flavor, throw in some fruit (not pineapple, cause eww - sorry ;-)). If you want you can also throw some granola in (high in cals so be careful if you do) and make a sort of parfait.

EDA: some greek yoghurts are better than others - I prefer Fage and Chobani.

I bought Fage. I don't think we had Chobani plain. I know there were different flavors of Chobani, but wanted to explore the plain. I do love the texture of Fage.

A little hesitant to use protein powder only because I don't really know which brand/flavor or anything to buy.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    TRUVIA!!! Hands Down.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    sugar free smuckers raspberry jam. But don't be afraid of using real sugar. we are meant to have real things in our body not artificial. even just a pinch will help and the calories are so minimal.