Greek Yogurt lovers - (plain) How to sweeten it

Options

Replies

• Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to sweeten it up, I'm in the stevia camp (yes, yeah: it's not an artificial sweetner). But frankly I love the consistency of fage. They do sell cup with fage on one side and a little honey on the other. So honey is nice with it. I like how it's separated and not mixed because I can take the littlest honey I need for a big ole spoon of plain Fage.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage as well, and I really like drizzling a tbsp of real, organic maple syrup. It only adds 50 calories

I also use it on savory foods, it's an awesome substitute for sour cream!
  • rskmom
    rskmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly or jam
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you keep eating it the yogurt will eventually taste sweet. Once you go back to sugary yogurts you're going to think they're gross and wayy to sweet. Keep trying at it with the greek yogurt. Your tastebuds are in shock from eating so much sugar in your typical yogurt (30g of sugar vs 9g) but it will pass if you keep eating it.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to try plain was because I thought the sugary yogurts were too sweet. I also have very sensitive teeth so it prevents me from eating cold and sweet things.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can go that route with the natural sweeteners (aguave) but if you dont want to add calories, and i dont know if your oppose to artificial sweeteners, adding Truvia (2 packets) will make it a tasty low cal dessert,
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like using different flavors of honey: regular, clover, orange blossom, etc - whatever might complement the flavor of the fruit. I measure carefully, and usually only use one or two teaspoons, depending on how much yogurt I'm using.
  • proctorcj
    proctorcj Posts: 31
    Options
    I just put my finger in it and it sweetens right up!! : )>
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda when I'm in that situation. Just a little bit and it tastes great!
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    I take a half cup and add 2 tsp of honey. Sweet/tart awesome! And a fantastic source of protein.
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt is great get the 0% fat ones:wink:
  • SunshineDay76
    Options
    I use agave nectar to sweeten plain Greek yogurt. I prefer it to sugar because it's a low-glycemic sweetener, and it's sweeter than sugar so I use less than 1 teaspoon. It doesn't have as strong a tastes as honey, it just tastes sweet.

Ditto! I also use agave nectar.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I like plain Fage + cinnamon. I don't really need anything with sugar... but sometimes I add apple butter.

If I get the Fage + fruit then I only use a bit of the fruit in the yogurt (comes separated) and use the rest to sweeten oatmeal.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt is great get the 0% fat ones:wink:
    I honestly prefer the original Total full-fat one, especially for making protein smoothies.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a bit of honey, PB2 and banana, if it is for bfast vs a snack I will add one scoop of protein powder.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like plain Fage + cinnamon. I don't really need anything with sugar... but sometimes I add apple butter.

If I get the Fage + fruit then I only use a bit of the fruit in the yogurt (comes separated) and use the rest to sweeten oatmeal.

Oooh! I like the apple butter idea, got to get some from Trader Joe's!!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Oooh! I like the apple butter idea, got to get some from Trader Joe's!!

Or make your own! This - http://www.marthastewart.com/326858/slow-cooker-pear-and-apple-butter - was pretty easy, just time consuming to peel and slice all the fruit. I used the splenda/brown sugar blend, so it cut down the calories a bunch. And it lasted a long while (makes a big crock pot full).
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain greek yogurt with more grams of protein than sugar, so I know where you're coming from. My 2 favs for sweetening are honey and pure maple syrup. A teaspoon is enough for 6 oz. Gotta try cinnamon, though.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    Sugar free fat free pudding works well!

I do this too. I use the chocolate flavor. Mix it up and put it in the fridge for an hour or so, makes like a chocolate mousse. Yummy!!
  • aleham
    aleham Posts: 44
    Options
    Try using a few drops of vanilla essence. A friend of mine used this trick while staying in overseas hostels that tried to save money by only serving plain greek yogurt with breakfast.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt + 1 stevia + 1 True Lemon = Deliciousness!