Greek Yogurt lovers - (plain) How to sweeten it

Options

Replies

• medicinemantoo
    Options
    Mix in your ingredients a day or two before you eat it. I do this with fruit all the time. Makes a HUGE difference!

I eat Fage because it has no sweetener(s) added, Chobani does.

I'll say it again:

Mix in your ingredients a day or two before you eat it. I do this fruit all the time. Makes a HUGE difference!

Save your empty Fage containers, they work great to portion it out. Typically, I'll do 1/2 cup Fage and 1 cup fruit. I mix in advance and save in the fridge. I do 4-8 containers/servings on Monday and I'm set for the week.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I ONLY like the plain Fage kind.

I take 1 cup yogurt, 2 cups frozen strawberries, and 1 scoop of my vanilla protein powder and blend it all together and it turns into strawberry ice cream. I will either take that whole thing to work and have half for breakfast and then the second half around 1 as a pre-workout snack. the whole thing is only 360 cals and so yummy!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have been adding the little powder drink mix pouches right to the yogurt, Man what a great flavor, Lemonade is my favorite and only adds 10 calories.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I found that once I started eliminating processed foods my taste buds changed. Greek yogurt can be a little tart. Non bitter stevia is a good choice, agave is good and my stand by is real maple syrup. I love blueberries and yogurt. It's like candy to me. I just have it plain now. Enjoy the journey. :smile:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener. Stevia is an all natural sweetener made from the leaf of the stevia plant. Buy Stevia in the Raw, or SweetLeaf Brands, and not Truvia, as it has chemicals in it used in processing.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream in dips!! :D
  • lovelysummerbabe2012
    Options
    I buy plain chobani and just put fruit in it and sometimes a teeny tiny bit of truvia or honey.
    I laugh at the people that think there eating healthy when there eating the flavored greek yogurt..It's sugary as hell and there is added sugar in the little cups of flavored yogurt mixed in with the fruit at the bottom..
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt every day. I buy the plain stuff, eat it 1 cup at a time and flavor it with about 50g of some kind of berry (been on a raspberry and blackberry kick lately) or 1g of cinnamon, then sweeten either topping with 10g honey. Comes out pretty dang tasty, if you ask me.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is great
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    DaVinci or Torani SF syrups ..... or NSA or SF jams & jellies ......
  • Veggywmn
    Veggywmn Posts: 1
    Options
    I always buy plain yogurt and sweeten it myself. I've used honey, stevia, Truvia, and if you want to make it taste like vanilla yogurt, just add a hint of pure vanilla extract. Much better and healthier than buying yogurt sweetened with sugar or artificial sweeteners. Adding granola on top is also a good way to add a little extra sweetness.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is great

^^^this and fresh or frozen berries for a natural sweetener. If you're looking to save calories, though, go with stevia.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt every day. I buy the plain stuff, eat it 1 cup at a time and flavor it with about 50g of some kind of berry (been on a raspberry and blackberry kick lately) or 1g of cinnamon, then sweeten either topping with 10g honey. Comes out pretty dang tasty, if you ask me.

Ooohhh cinnamon, didn't think about that! I'm totally trying that!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain yogurt and sweeten it myself. I've used honey, stevia, Truvia, and if you want to make it taste like vanilla yogurt, just add a hint of pure vanilla extract. Much better and healthier than buying yogurt sweetened with sugar or artificial sweeteners. Adding granola on top is also a good way to add a little extra sweetness.

I actually tried to add in vanilla extract and it didn't do much for me.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt in place of mayo, Miracle Whip, cream cheese, or sour cream. It works great!!

When I eat is for itself, I sweeten with Splenda or fruit only preserves. My lunch trick is to pack the yogurt with still frozen fruit; it will thaw by the afternoon. My favorite is a sprinkle of ginger with frozen mango chunks.
  • moopity
    moopity Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use stevia -- the best and only brand I like is SWEET LEAF. You can buy it on Amazon if you cannot find it in your area. Whole Foods usually carries it.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i stir jam into it. it's high in sugar, but i buy natural jams that have very few ingredients so i know it's not too processed.
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    If you keep eating it the yogurt will eventually taste sweet. Once you go back to sugary yogurts you're going to think they're gross and wayy to sweet. Keep trying at it with the greek yogurt. Your tastebuds are in shock from eating so much sugar in your typical yogurt (30g of sugar vs 9g) but it will pass if you keep eating it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A little hesitant to use protein powder only because I don't really know which brand/flavor or anything to buy.
    If you're cool with whey, casein, and eggs, pick up some samples of TruNutrition Sciences Trutein. Their Cinnabun and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup are probably the two best tasting protein shakes I've had. CinnaBun smells and tastes like the cinnamony dough of a cinnabun whereas the Chocolate PB cup has a nice mix of chocolate and peanut butter tastes. I also like that they do not hide behind proprietary labels - they fully disclose the amounts of each ingredient used. Their Iso-Ology Chocolate Peanut Butter cup is only whey protein isolate, not a blend like Trutein, but tastes equally as good as the Trutein variety.

You can get samples directly from their website for $2 each and have them in a week.