Do people log their alcohol intake.

Options

Replies

• still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I log my alcohol intake, adjust my meals for the day accordingly, and exercise more to compensate for my night out. :drinker:

^^ this exactly.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes it is the main contributor to weight gain! I always log it and I allow calories for it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    calories in red wine are nothing like the calories in beer......NOT

so if you dont keep track of calories burned or calories consumed, why are you here?

I am here because I am running an experiment with me as the subject and I like to track what I am consuming and the effects that this has on my wellbeing and body composition.

I have seen that altering my macronutrient balance has has WAY more influence than focussing on a simple calories in/out math problem. I can see the human metabolism is a bit more sophisticated than that. Get the hormones right and the rest will follow.

And, as a matter of fact, the calories consumed in red wine do differ from those in beer from a metabolic point of view.

But hey, you do it your way, I am seeing muscles I have only seen on magazine covers and I am well energised so clearly I am just another struggling deluded 40 year old :)
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yep, I definitely log my alcohol, because whether it's beer, wine or mixed drinks, they are chocked full of calories. So if I'm going to have a few drinks, I should plan to work out and earn some more calories or make that my meal. Personally, I drink less, because I can't afford the calories. And I find that I retain water weight when I drink alcohol. Slows down my weight loss. But sometimes you just gotta have a drink.
  • volatileskin
    volatileskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm at uni too and generally don't bother as the nights i drink i spend dancing like a maniac..but then i don't drink too much/too often, maybe a few glasses of wine once or twice a week. i find with alcohol it's more an issue of the junk i end up eating because of it rather than the drink itself :/ ..as anything it's about learning moderation, which i know is pretty hard when everyone around you is going for it with the student life thing.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You really have to log it! No point being here otherwise. I know what you mean about uni life, I was drinking heaps not so long ago. Then I started on here and realised just how many cals I was consuming (not to mention far too many units of booze). I've cut way back, easier than I thought it would be...right now I'm more committed to getting myself in shape than getting wasted!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes, alcohol are calories and they will add up.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nope, the last thing I want to be thinking about when drinking is cals/carbs.

I don't log exercise either.

I figure they will cancel each other out.:-)

As long as I am drinking wine (preferably red) and not beer I don't sweat the booze ...

ya....the calories in red wine are nothing like the calories in beer......NOT

so if you dont keep track of calories burned or calories consumed, why are you here?
    I know its just a waste of time otherwise.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING I eat and drink. I am on this site mostly to maintain my weight and to be more aware of everything I eat/drink. I drink a glass (or two) of red wine every night. One while I'm cooking, and one with dinner (usually, unless I'm out running the kids around!!). I never EVER cut back on my meals or skip meals to make up for anything I drink, though. That's not healthy! But I do notice a lot o my friends on here do not log any of their drinks ... it frustrates me because obviously they have calories, and it does play a part in overall weight loss / maintaining your weight / health!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I'm all for drinking, but if it's several alcoholic beverages a day, every day, and you have to skip meals to have enough room in your calorie goal for your drinks... do you think that might be a bit excessive?

I drink plenty daily, eat to satiety and still drop weight ...

Check out the Banting diet from the late 1800's.

It is not a simple calories in/out equation, one day we will collectively wake up to this.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    it's damn depressing, but yes I log them all too. Even the cheeky lunchtime pint yesterday went into the diary....

And I suspect it does more than just adding calories too, I'm sure it slows down weight loss far more than the calories it accounts for (and not just because it lowers willpower for rubbish food!)
  • Judgetaney
    Judgetaney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really. Of course you log the pleasures as well as the sins.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

It is not a simple calories in/out equation, one day we will collectively wake up to this.

nonsense. it really is that saimple.

and again sir, if you dont log calories burned and consumed, why are you here?
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've normally drank too much & lost count so don't bother tracking or I've drank too much & forgot to eat so I don't bother tracking, lmao.
    But yeah, probably a good thing to do as alcohol packs quite a few calories.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I definitely log all of it, haha. I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Nope, the last thing I want to be thinking about when drinking is cals/carbs.

I don't log exercise either.

I figure they will cancel each other out.:-)

As long as I am drinking wine (preferably red) and not beer I don't sweat the booze ...

ya....the calories in red wine are nothing like the calories in beer......NOT

I know its just a waste of time otherwise.

Nope, it's not wasting my time ... I am very interested in tracking my macronuttrient consumption and the effect this has on both my body composition and general mood.

I love MFP but not for tracking calories :)
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    Yes, I log it. I have a "cocktail" that I like, but the calories are high. I, too, enjoyed my college life, but moderation.
  • KeriLoy
    KeriLoy Posts: 23
    Options
    Yep, I sure do, it's calories...so I log it, so far it hasn't bumped me out of my below calorie average :)
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If im having an odd drink or two to accompany a meal then yes, I definitely log. If im out on a night out with friends (which isn't that often lately unfortunately!) then I use it as a treat day and not log.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not wasting my time ... I am very interested in tracking my macronuttrient consumption and the effect this has on both my body composition and general mood.

I love MFP but not for tracking calories :)

but you dont log your alcohol, you drink alot daily and you are tracking your moods? dont you think alcohol affects your moods?