Do people log their alcohol intake.

Options

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm all for drinking, but if it's several alcoholic beverages a day, every day, and you have to skip meals to have enough room in your calorie goal for your drinks... do you think that might be a bit excessive?

Drinking & more drinking is what uni is about to most kids lol.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I normally can't remeber how many I have so logging is not always right
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not wasting my time ... I am very interested in tracking my macronuttrient consumption and the effect this has on both my body composition and general mood.

I love MFP but not for tracking calories :)

but you dont log your alcohol, you drink alot daily and you are tracking your moods? dont you think alcohol affects your moods?

Alcohol most definitely affects your mood!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm all for drinking, but if it's several alcoholic beverages a day, every day, and you have to skip meals to have enough room in your calorie goal for your drinks... do you think that might be a bit excessive?

I drink plenty daily, eat to satiety and still drop weight ...

Check out the Banting diet from the late 1800's.

It is not a simple calories in/out equation, one day we will collectively wake up to this.

I was talking about the OP.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I log my alcohol calories :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

It is not a simple calories in/out equation, one day we will collectively wake up to this.

nonsense. it really is that saimple.

and again sir, if you dont log calories burned and consumed, why are you here?

Oh dear, we have a long way to go.

Look, if it were just a calorie thing then eating 1200 kcals of snickers bars would be identical to eating 1200 kcals of spinach ... This is obviously an extreme example but illustrates how absurd the notion of 'a calorie is a calorie' is.

Take a look at the science behind fat metabolism, it's way more interesting than simple energy in/out :)

Yes, we need to burn more than we need to lose fat but can we influence how effectively those calories are used? Absolutely.
  • nattielove
    nattielove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Look... I should...
    But I'm studying abroad. Involves a lot of drinking. And not going to lie, I sometimes have no idea how much I consume in a night. But that's because I don't take note of it.

I'm sure I could track it, but I don't count it because I'm lazy and don't think to do so at the time. Fact is I'm not going to jot down how many shots I've had. If you have the willpower to keep track of it when you go out, you should definitely do it.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah matey, dont cheat yourself. Log your alcohol too. It should be motivation enough to not have it too often once you realise how much it does have in it, or you get sick of having too many days over your cal limit. You can exercise a heck of lot more to counter balance? Or is that just my cheats way lol. I do like a glass of wine or two a few nights a week and have gotten to a stage where if I'm not fully into exercising, I just click onto MFP to keep my MFP mates motivated. That way I still on here every day to keep my days up in a row as well as here for my mates. Need to get stuck into logging foods again myself though, its a real eye opener to what i'm taking in each day when you see totals. Good motivator on its own. best of luck for your journey. If you are maintaining weight then it doesn't need to be that strict really, but if you are losing weight as a goal, stick with things and log it all so you really do stay on track and keep focus. Have a few alcohol free days as well, its a must! Best of luck with Uni too. Thats a hard long road to go down after doing a degree and then a post grad study. Happy its all done now myself, and will take a lot to want to get back into study mode. Happy to focus on work now and get the odd 'assignment free have a drink' night ha ha ha.

cheers matey
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't consumed alcohol since the christmas party at my workplace so last friday I thought : ah, what the heck!:drinker: I had 3-4 drinks last friday and I was COMPLETELY shocked by the amount of calories in there. 1093 kcal in 1.5 glasses of wine and 2 kahlua/strawberry vodka/ milk/ cocktail. So Im probably not going to drink again until I reach my MPF goal. :bigsmile:
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nope, the last thing I want to be thinking about when drinking is cals/carbs.

I don't log exercise either.

I figure they will cancel each other out.:-)

As long as I am drinking wine (preferably red) and not beer I don't sweat the booze ...

ya....the calories in red wine are nothing like the calories in beer......NOT

so if you dont keep track of calories burned or calories consumed, why are you here?

^^^ This - if it has calories LOG IT!!!!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    OH GOD LOG IT. Alcohol is part of how I put on all the weight I'm trying to lose right now in the first place! My fiance and I used to split either a bottle of wine of a 6-pack of beer almost every night... which added up to an extra 300-500 calories per night... which added up to 2,100-3,500 a week... which (go figure) means I was PUTTING ON pretty much a pound a week in straight up beer gut.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not wasting my time ... I am very interested in tracking my macronuttrient consumption and the effect this has on both my body composition and general mood.

I love MFP but not for tracking calories :)

but you dont log your alcohol, you drink alot daily and you are tracking your moods? dont you think alcohol affects your moods?

Alcohol absolutely affects my mood, I find it a great way to unwind at the end of the day. I spend the vast majority of my time eating right and exercising at a moderate level then I end the day with some booze ... A fine balance for my life anyway.

And day after day I see my weight drop, my belt become more functional than decorative and my energy remains good.

Look, I'm not advocating being sedentary and chucking pints down your neck every night but I am saying you can enjoy good health without tracking every bleeding decimal point :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm another who absolutely logs it - it's the only way to make myself accountable! I also log it BEFORE I drink it so it helps me from going over and I TRY to have planned ahead what I'll eat when I'm done so that I don't go for that double-cheese with pepperoni and sausage pizza or the giant steak n cheese and large fry - lol.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Definitely log it, it has calories and weight loss is all about calories. You can probably increase your intake up a bit and still stay at a deficit. Everyone seems to go with this 1200 calorie number, it's not for everyone xx
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much, but I picked up some of the dollar bottles of really watered down vodka from the gas station and spent a good hour doing math based on the proof amounts in them, and they only work out to about 60 Cal each bottle. Now, the bottle of Sky that we have around here somewhere.... I bet that is a different story.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I always log my alchol intake, and I'm not an alcholic, an alcholic needs a drink, I already got one hic!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Just get a good exercise session in if you know your going to be drinking! Problem solved. I didn't yesterday and I was crazy over calories! Not worth it! X
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    I always log my alcohol intake, no matter how much i drink
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much at goal and have been for a year, so I only log sporadically now... but I always took one day off a week, and later weekends off, to skip out on logging all together, and that was when I consumed alcohol. And for the reasons listed... if I'm partying, I don't want to whip out my phone and track how many shots I did, or count out exactly one serving size of potato chips, etc. I still might have had drinks on days when I logged my food, but I logged my drink, too. And it was typically only one.

BUT... I think if *every* night is that kind of night, when you can't keep track of how much you're drinking, if your consuming more liquid calories than nutritious foods... that might be a problem. Nip it in the bud.

If you think it's hard to avoid drinking now, in college, wait til you're a working stiff and REALLY have reason to drink. :laugh:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie whether you eat it or drink it.