running challenge

Options
13»

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have always hated running...struggled to get through the laps at gym and had to run 3 miles for my gym final in 9th grade *gasp!* I thought I would die. Since 9th grade (8 years ago) I have avoided running like the plague. But secretly, deep down, I've always wanted to be a runner...I just never thought I could do it. When my husband left for Basic Training, I decided that I should try running so we can do it together. I just finished Week 3 day 1 earlier today! It is challenging, but I can do it with just soreness in my calves, but I can do it! It is slow, and not very pretty but I can work on my times once I get there!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that has ALWAYS hated running. Nothing about it sounded good to me. This dates back to the days when I had to run the one mile for high school gym class. (I used to skip laps when the teachers weren't watching.). Since high school, I have tried running a few times but still never enjoyed it.

I laughed when I read this!! I was the same way!! I used to get in trouble for skipping gym class when we had to run the mile.

The only reason I started 'running' was to do a Sprint Triathlon. It's still not my favorite part of the Tri.. but I get it done. Right now I do a 5K in about 40 minutes.... with running and fast walking. I can run at 7mph.... for about 1/2 a block and then I'm sucking wind bad. lol So, with jogging and walking, I average about 4.5mph.

I feel I could go so much harder and further if I could just get my breathing under control. I just have to keep at it.
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello, thanks for starting this. It will be great to have a place to gather.

You know my story, but for others who will join; I use to be a huge runner, but after 18 years of marriage and children, I have not kept in shape or ran for almost two decades. So, I am starting over.

I am able to run in small spurts and some days for longer. I look forward to supporting each other and reaching our goals.

I am looking for a 5k run to shoot for as a goal in Beg. of Nov this year.

Talk with you all more soon. Have a great night. Add me as a friend so we can keep in touch.

Bernie
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great. Good for you on quitting smoking. That is no easy thing to do.

I am excited to see you here and glad to have others who are just starting out as well to do this with.
  • Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I want to join too. I'm 24-year-old uni student from Finland. I started running this spring, and I'm fairly slow, running around 5 mph. I have run a 10k race this year, and hope to strengthen my muscles so that I can go longer - for now 12k is a bit too much, as I have sore knees after that kind of a distance. I hope that stronger muscles would support my knees more, and I'd be able to run a half marathon some day.

I used to hate running, I thought it would be painful, exhausting and boring, but I've come to realize it's none of those (well, sometimes it can hurt a bit, but not too much). I run outside and running is kind of meditation for me.
  • sonny368
    sonny368 Posts: 61
    Options
    I've started not far ago to run and slowly improving my running time I have to say I like it, when I run I feel free, fit and fast, also my knee has recovery good and I lost inches around my hips in a couple of weeks that with the usual cardio I didn't, so it likes me more ....
    My experience about running is to raise gradually the time, isn't important the being fast but the distance you want to cover, in few words the time you're running, i increase of a little bit, well I increase of 5 minute per time but others can increase for example of 2 minutes that's already a good effort, so every couple of weeks I add 5 more minutes, I'm now at 30 good running minutes sometimes with a stop between the two quarters, sometimes it depends on how many proteins I swallowed before...I want to arrive at 1 hour and run comfortably a 5k, so I'm in the challenge guys !!!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I think this is for me always been a hopeless runner!I have begun and have just got to a comfortable minute last week and im so pleased!one whole minute!walk for 5 minutes,but sure we have to start somewhere!lol
  • gjulie
    Options
    Hi all last wek I ran for a minute comfortably and I did that every day by today I worked it up to 4 minutes,I am delighted,Im not very fast its like 8.5km on the threadmill then I walk for a few minutes,but I feel Im making progress!:happy:
  • kymivivid
    kymivivid Posts: 17
    Options
    Ive never ran. Infact I've never even really excercised lol. But I want to start running. I seriously lack motivation but hopefully by joining in on this I will find some :)
  • gjulie
    Options
    I started at 20 second stretches now Im at 3-4 mins,Im slow but who am I racing against anyway only myself! give it a go seriously if I can then so can anyone!:happy:
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok, so was having some back trouble and shin splints so I went to Peak Performance and had them fit me with a running shoe. I do think it's going to help a lot but running is still so fricking hard! How is it that I can walk at 4 mph and not have trouble but if I step it up a notch and try to jog 4.5mph I think I'm dying?! I briskly walked a 5k this weekend, so that is my second one this summer. I am signed up to do another one in August and it's at night and is a timed race. I am so determined to jog the whole darn thing! My goal is to get it done in 37-40 minutes! I do have a partner who is also new to running and she is able to do the whole 5k already. She is very encouraging! And she is about 10 years younger than me. Sometimes I feel like maybe I'm just too old to do this running business but I have my mind made up! I will push through! :grumble: