To the "Cool Kids"

Options

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    the 'cool kids' are too busy being mean and snarky to spend time working out and eating right.

I'm not sure where you get this. I'm thinking about the people I think are the cool kids here, and they are beasts that go after it. They have their down days and their struggles like the rest of us, but they get results. I'd name names, but then it would start to approach if not completely violate forum rules because people will feel left out that they weren't named as one of the cool kids. But suffice it to say, the people who get tired of explaining the same thing over and over again, of answering a question and then getting blasted that the answer wasn't the one that the OP had been looking for, that can get kind of snarky and that sometimes have some random inside jokes, those folks get it done. Just sayin.
  • ValiCaly
    ValiCaly Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't post here often...okay really, I think I have posted 4 times. I do, however, read EVERYTHING. I have never had to lose weight so I don't have any words of wisdom to offer on those topics and though I try to eat healthy, just a short while ago I was the skinny chick who existed on M&M's and diet coke :)

To the group of people on here I will dub the "cool kids", you know who you are; you post all the time, get called rude - mean - snarky, tell it like it is and are in general extremely entertaining. I love you guys! You make me laugh but most importantly, I have learned a lot from you,

I never think you are being mean to anyone. If your repsonse to a question comes across a little snarky, it seems to me it was out of utter frustration.

Just wanted to give a huge Thank You to you all. I have gained valuable knowlege in nutrition and exercise. You have debunked myths that I myself was quilty of believing and have given sound advice in areas of diet and fitness. If I ever learn how to post pictures, I will post some to show how your advice (and snarkiness) has helped me.

Thanks again!!

You talking about the TROLLS?

They're not trolls. They're honest. There's a major difference between who the OP is referring to as "cool kids" and trolls.

That remains to be seen about how said "honesty" is expressed.....
  • ValiCaly
    Options
    the 'cool kids' are too busy being mean and snarky to spend time working out and eating right.

I'm not sure where you get this. I'm thinking about the people I think are the cool kids here, and they are beasts that go after it. They have their down days and their struggles like the rest of us, but they get results. I'd name names, but then it would start to approach if not completely violate forum rules because people will feel left out that they weren't named as one of the cool kids. But suffice it to say, the people who get tired of explaining the same thing over and over again, of answering a question and then getting blasted that the answer wasn't the one that the OP had been looking for, that can get kind of snarky and that sometimes have some random inside jokes, those folks get it done. Just sayin.

Why do people think they have to answer something over and over?
    Why not just not respond instead of getting "snarky"?
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    whats a "Cool Kid"?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Because this forum, unlike the majority of internet forums encourages users to ask the same questions over and over rather than to search . Hence, people end up answering the same stuff over and over.

In other words, don't hate the player baby, hate the game.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Responses really have to meet the need. I have done it both ways... there are times (most of the time I think), I post in a positive and supportive way. There are others when, quite frankly, the person needs a swift kick in the posterior.... I always covet to know when to be "snarky" and when to walk softly...
  • ValiCaly
    Options
    edit
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    There are cool kids?
  • ValiCaly
    Options

Because this forum, unlike the majority of internet forums encourages users to ask the same questions over and over rather than to search . Hence, people end up answering the same stuff over and over.

Which is all fine and well until the ones who are doing the answering get "snarky"..
    How about the ones who do the answering be the ones who hold a higher degree of patience for the new comers and the sometimes needed repetition?
  • taso42
    Options

Which is all fine and well until the ones who are doing the answering get "snarky"..
    How about the ones who do the answering be the ones who hold a higher degree of patience for the new comers and the sometimes needed repetition?

Sure. Just as soon as people cease driving slow in the fast lane, and start signalling before turning or changing lanes. Oops was that snarky?
  • ValiCaly
    Options

Sure. Just as soon as people cease driving slow in the fast lane, and start signalling before turning or changing lanes. Oops was that snarky?

Everyone here has come in as a new comer at some point.
    Do you honestly think each and everyone of them needs to be knocked around a bit before being allowed acceptance?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i've never fit in with the cool kids, and i'm okay with that.
  • ValiCaly
    Options
    As for that fast lane goes I stay in it.
  • taso42
    Options

Do you honestly think each and everyone of them needs to be knocked around a bit before being allowed acceptance?

Nope. It's on a case by case basis. The level of the snark is usually in direct proportion to the brainlessness of the topic posted.
  • ValiCaly
    Options

Nope. It's on a case by case basis. The level of the snark is usually in direct proportion to the brainlessness of the topic posted.

Who gets to pick and choose what is brainlessness or not?
    IMO if someone posts a question then I would say it safe to assume it is important to the poster.
    If anyone disagrees then ignoring and moving onto something more interesting would be in order..
  • taso42
    Options

Who gets to pick and choose what is brainlessness or not?
    IMO if someone posts a question then I would say it safe to assume it is important to the poster.
    If anyone disagrees then ignoring and moving onto something more interesting would be in order..

Each individual gets to pick and choose, and how they reply is up to them. For those that don't like it, there is the option to Report Post or Ignore User, or both.

Even this very discussion we're having right now has been done over and over again.

Go on a car or motorcycle forum and ask which tires to buy or which motor oil to run. You'll get snarky replies back, because the topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and there is generally no consensus. Or go on the same car or motorcycle forums and post a topic like, "Help! My car won't go. I added few last month and drove 400 miles. it was fine and then it died. What's wrong?" You'll get laughed at. If anything, this place is pretty tame, when the analogous thing happens and someone who hasn't been eating asks how to curb the hunger pangs. Or someone who ate a brownie last night is asking if all their hard work from the past 6 months is going to be reversed.
  • ValiCaly
    Options
    Again...Why bother answering if it is annoying one to the point of being "snarky?
  • taso42
    Options
    Any combination of, but not limited to the following: entertainment, boredom, counteracting misinformation, giving a straight honest answer without "sugar-coating".
  • ValiCaly
    Options
    Any combination of, but not limited to the following: entertainment, boredom, counteracting misinformation, giving a straight honest answer without "sugar-coating".

That's pretty much what I've been told...and then some..
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    i've never fit in with the cool kids, and i'm okay with that.

Me neither. I'm also not into kissing anyone's *kitten*.